My Water Tank Project

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
With request from bro. Danz, I just post a DIY job I did to connect an additional water tank and pump to get water up to my roof tank.
Short story. I am staying in Old part of PJ and the Mains (water pipes) are pretty old and rusty. A few years a go I had fitted a rocket filter to filter the water as the incoming water was milky and dirty. I still remember when the rocket was fitted the pressure shown was at around 25 to 30psi. As years went by, after a burst pipe some where in the area, Syabas will reduce the pressure. Of late before the water rationing started it was around 10psi. Because of the on and off of the water, pipe started bursting again and pressure was further reduced to like 5psi.
Now here is the problem, with 5psi on day one when water is turned on, I only get water on the ground floor. By day 2, I get water on the 2nd. floor but nothing gets to my roof tanks. And on day 3 the water is switched off again....:banghead:
This leads to filling of all buckets I can find to store water and finally decide to do this project. Some ask what happens later when water rationing is off, but then my water pressure is so low, I might not get enough water up to my roof tanks and anyway now I have additional tank of 850 liters.....:rofl:

Here goes.

Basically there are 4 types of pipe connections you can do. GI, stainless steel, poly or pvc.
GI not recommended as it will rust and clogged up with time, and you need tools to make locking thread. Stainless steel is expensive and hard to work with and also need threading tool.
What I used are a combination of poly and PVC.

Poly

Poly pipes are hardy, plenty of connectors. Male and female joints and comes in 3 sizes. 15mm aka 1/2 inch, 25mm aka 3/4 inch and 32mm aka 1 inch. The connectors comes in reducer also, say if you want to connect 1 inch pipe to 3/4 inch housing and so on.

PVC

Comes in the 3 sizes mentioned above and PVC are good for connection, as they have additional elbow, also have male and female connectors.
However PVC need to to glued so you will need this. Just ask the hardware shop and they will know

Also because PVC once glued cannot be removed so certain parts you may need a joint release

Additional accessories you may need...
Ball valve or stop valve

Connectors, elbow joints, reducer etc...

Oh! you will needs lots of this PTFE sealing tape aka white tape

Here are pictures of the finished project....

From Rocket connection

Close up

Connected to the tank

Tank out pipe with stop valve

Release joint

Connection to the pump. Bottom line for In, top line is out

Connection to house piping with stop valve..close up view

Bigger picture

Thank you for viewing.....

Last edited:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
wow how much is the total costs?

im planning to do rain harvesting, the tong costs approx. rm400, then connect the roof drain & re-route it into the tong, the water is used to wash car & water the plants.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
wow how much is the total costs?

im planning to do rain harvesting, the tong costs approx. rm400, then connect the roof drain & re-route it into the tong, the water is used to wash car & water the plants.
The pump cost around RM1.1k, the stainless steel tank another RM1k. Accessories another RM400 plus. Expensive because the ball valves are all stainless steel. You can opt for brass valves or something like that which is much cheaper.
Re-route piping to tong you need to check. If you do not want the pump try putting the tong on some stand and use gravity to move the water, but I think need to be at least 4 feet up

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
wow rm2.5k....im gonna do the rain harvesting project for my parents hse...
trying to budget under rm600. cant do like yours cos of limited space.
For me cannot be help, as I need the pump to pump up like 3 floors.....:smokin:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Great job done.

No vibration at the pump discharge? Coz I see you did not have any support there. PVC pipes will become weak after exposing to sun for some time (a few years la at least). If there's vibration it might crack it.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Great job done.

No vibration at the pump discharge? Coz I see you did not have any support there. PVC pipes will become weak after exposing to sun for some time (a few years la at least). If there's vibration it might crack it.
Thanks.
The PVC pipes at the pump are meant for pump use and pressure. Very thick and rated class 7. The pump area is under shade and I have a plastic cover, covering the pump as it has to be protected from the Sun and Rain....:biggrin: The black pipes are poly pipes.
PVC pipes at the rocket is class D or 6, meant for outdoor, but for bent connection PVC easier to handle then poly.

---------- Post added at 07:46 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:44 AM ----------

tmr I heard got DIT session at your hse? :rofl:
Yah! but not on water tank DIT.....hahahahahhahha:rofl:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Im using wira se, wanted to change my tyre and rims to 15" for a better pick up.

Does anyone knows how much i can trade in my wira se rims and tyre together?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience