My Next Upgrade: Suspension

Which type of suspension you prefer the most?

• Tein HA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tein Super Street

• Tein Flex

• Tein Mono Flex

• GAB SS

• Koni Yellow + Eibach spring

• Aragosta

• Spoon

• Others (please mention)

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Deciding on my next upgrade and typing the title was easy. But knowing very little and not having any sort of experience in adjustable suspensions makes me wonder a lot before my next purchase.

I actually posted in my build thread but not many help there. So, I'm just gonna copy and paste it here:

Yesterday, I went for a spin to actually test the handling of my car with my friend. Currently, I'm using Type R suspension. First round, I just went slow to check out the corners. Second round, I increased the speed and attacked the corners at the highest speed I dare. It wasn't too difficult to take the corners but both of us were being thrown left and right. I didn't feel confident and worried I might lose control of the car. Then, the third and final round. This time we decided to use our seatbelts. Lol.. Scary sitting inside. Of course this time, we were still thrown left and right but with the seatbelts, we were less scared. Hehe. But I still feel not confident in taking the corners. Took a slow drive back home, thinking to myself:

SUSPENSION, SUSPENSION, SUSPENSION...

I have surveyed around and did some research. I found that Tein, JIC, HKS and a few others have good reviews on car generally, not specifically for DC2 or DB8 to be more precise. Then, comes GAB.

I personally like Tein, mainly because it has the EDFC. So, most likely I'll just get Tein. But which model? I went through a thread here that has very good review on HA. Then, there is Tein Super Street which also has good reviews. There is also Tein Flex. Price wise between these two are not much of a difference. I'm talking about the used ones. Even used ones are around RM2000, I think new ones should be close to RM5000. Right?

Cusco and Aragosta... are other brands that I came across.

Any idea which one I should go for? I have never used an adjustable suspension. So, I really don't know a lot of things. What do I need to look for in choosing a right suspension? Well, for me I want to improve my handling on high speed cornering without feeling worried(scared actually). I don't mind sacrificing a little comfort. Knowing our Malaysian roads, I can't sacrifice too much comfort too. I have read some reviews where on certain set-ups, they feel like the dashboard will drop when going on yellow lines. I don't want that. If I can have best of both worlds, better but I doubt that can be done. So, a set-up which is more into handling. Which way should I go?

I can also use EG suspensions right? They are the same..no?
Some suggested GAB as it is best bang for the buck plus it comes with warranty and also be able to choose the spring rate.

As for me, after reading so much about TEIN, I'm kinda convinced that TEIN is the right choice. So far, I've only heard that TEIN HA is good for my ride and if I remember correctly, it was good for handling but don't remember anything about comfort is said. The others were reviewed based on other cars.

Which series HA, NA, SS, Flex, Monoflex offers more handling without sacrificing too much comfort and compatible with EDFC?

Thanks in advance. Your comments will help my project moving.

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Mind to share why?

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Lol... Would prefer if you could tell me your experiences with it, so that it can help me with my purchase.

What about Spoon adjustable suspension?

G221

Over 10,000 RPM!
Jan 15, 2004
KL
TEIN Super Street is the newer version of Tein HA. They have discontinued Tein HA. So Super Street is the new range of TEIN's Suspension for street use.

I'm using TEIN Super Street. Good for daily drive, but the springs are too soft for touge and track days even if i adjust to hard.

when you say suspension, are you just looking at absorbers and springs? Have you considered upgrading your suspension bushings as well? Using a good quality PU bushings will help a lot in your car's handling, balance, etc.

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Thank you. Does this mean that if let's say I have Tein HA, I would not be able to service it?

Yes, all bushings are also part of the plan but will take it one at time most likely. Budget constraints.

G221

Over 10,000 RPM!
Jan 15, 2004
KL
You can service the Tein HA. Just send to N1 Racing or any shops that can service Tein. It's around RM300-400+- per piece if not mistaken. quite expensive. u might want to consider buying a new set.

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Brand new Tein is too expensive, not something I can afford. But thank you for your suggestions. In that case, would you recommend GAB instead? Will it be very different than Tein? I suppose the price for Tein shows how good it is compared to GAB? Please tell if I'm wrong about this. I'm always believe in you get what you pay.

G221

Over 10,000 RPM!
Jan 15, 2004
KL
GAB's price doesn't differ much from Tein bro, if not mistaken. If Tein is around 4k, then GAB is 3.5k++, If not mistaken, GAB Japan is good. GAB over here is made in Malaysia or Taiwan I don't know, licensed by GAB Japan, something like that and no offense, the ride quality decreases a bit. Correct me if I'm wrong but I've tested both GAB and TEIN, comfort wise, handling wise, TEIN is better, if.....u compare both the street type laaa..as I said before Tein HA/Super Street are ok for street use as it's name suggests, but not in tracks, and again..no offense to both brands, Im just giving my opinion based on my experience.

The price is up because of the currency exchange. I bought my Tein 1.5 years ago for 3.6k. Now the price is more than 4k. U might want to consider Tanabe?? or a hybrid suspension set up. I've tested Koni absorbers with H&R springs. good on streets and tracks. Anyway Koni adjustables only have Soft-Hard, no hi-lo...dunno if they've produced the hi-lo soft-hard now, but H&R springs is one of the best if available for your car. tested GAB with H&R, didn't get the best feeling as I put in Koni with H&R.

I heard that D2 is building it's reputations now. Few of my frens are using. Springs are harder than Tein, better on tracks.
U might want to look into that.

Anyway, it's all based on your preferences...street use or wherever else.

:idea:

slipar

500 RPM
Apr 29, 2006
banting - pj
2nd hand tein + service = new set of tein
then can choose from local suspension brand..
not so expensive + service is quite reasonable..

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
tein super street very 'comfy"...meaning too soft bro..handling ok ok only.

tein HA, very good handling, even on the softest setting, still quite hard..but i think considered still comfy la..i liked this one.

i also tried Zeal...toooo stiff...but freaking good handling and makes you have balls of steel.

the best of all is FLex...this is by far the best...but the cost is not the same bro.. even halfcut/2nd hand. flex not so easy to get also.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
ok....whatever brand doesn't matter as long as it has a reputation..

even locally made brand like HWL,titan,rcs can give u the best result provided u choosen the correct spring rate and experiment on suitable bump/rebound rate....

so my choice would be hi-lo+soft hard suspension....personally i like the HWL....but RCS product so tempting since it utilizing slow/fast bump rebound intelligent damping valve.....awesome handling when u need it and comfort when u want it... :adore:

fastlearner

Known Member
Oct 23, 2009
Kota Damn
Bro TS, i read through this article last time b4 i decided on my coilover. I think u should too...

[ PR ] CUSCO

For me personally, i strongly agree with bro "pomen_GTR", as long as u know exactly what u want, i.e. the spring rate etc and for what purpose is ur coilover? track or daily driving? etc...
Brand doesn't matter! Im using GAB SS and so far no complaint. And its cheap to service as well if u need to :biggrin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
ddv : I think suspension is a personal preference thing. Some folks here have said Tein is comfy and yet I've never come across a Tein-ed car that I think is comfy. Better you go for a test run in a Tein car and decide for yourself what it is you want to achieve.

I've sat in a GAB HA (M'sia mari model) EK Civic and the fella purposely drove over potholes and speed bumps and such at break neck speeds to show the capability of the suspension. Not bad if I may say so myself.

But my ultimate favorite is the Koni Yellow + Eibach prokit combination. What it feels like is comfort at slow speeds but once you really give it the beans, the koni seems to stiffen up. I suspect it has a control valve that stiffens up the abs under pressure and works normally when no pressure. Eibach lowers the car too.

I've yet to try this but local brand RCS custom makes your suspension and it even come with a bumpsteer kit. That's a good thing!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Globalization is supposed to bring the world closer together by integrating all the different aspects of our lives to function as one big and well-lubricated machine. So logic dictates that a globally designed car would fly off the showroom floors faster than an underground fiber optics cable could send an e-brochure of it your way.

This brings us then to the Chevrolet Cruze, a truly global car and the model...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience