My journey from using Meguiar's to Optimum Polymer Technologies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShowTime

Known Member
Jun 3, 2011
KL
OPC,instant detailer, ONR, opti clean and other OPT products u see here are consumer range.

There are good consumer ranged products from Meguiars too, like UQD for a quick gloss and hydrophobic effect, APC also available for consumer. spray wax also available.

as consumers we should not be bias to products and get brain washed to one product. must see other must try others
True bro but I believe most of their products are OVERPRICED. At RM58 for their Ultimate Quik Wax that doesn't last for even a week I rather use Optimum Car Wax/Alien Wax. Not to mention their liquid/paste waxes... all are priced at above RM100 each except for their cleaner wax, for above RM100 I rather get Optimum Opti-Seal.

I think Meguiar's products mainly focus more on their hydrophobic technology.

Last edited:

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
To be, i use and test all product no matter what people say good or bad. then i judge for myself. if its good i'll put it into my "medical paint prescription"

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
True bro but I believe most of their products are OVERPRICED. At RM58 for their Ultimate Quik Wax that doesn't last for even a week I rather use Optimum Car Wax/Alien Wax. Not to mention their liquid/paste waxes... all are priced at above RM100 each except for their cleaner wax, for above RM100 I rather get Optimum Opti-Seal.

I think Meguiar's products mainly focus more on their hydrophobic technology.
Please don't blame all of it on Meguiar's OTC product pricing here. In US, it is dirt cheap and akin to our Soft99, Turtle brand price range. On the other hand, Optimum stuff there is more expensive than Meguiars OTC products and even most of Meguiars detailers/body shop range. I guess it is expensive in Malaysia due to shipping cost, custom taxes, marketing, branding, shipping quotas, etc. Since it is overpriced here that's why some people are claiming it is over rated. I myself started with Meguiars many many years back, then moved on to Optimum products 2 years back. Now I am finding other better products which gives me more satisfaction/performance, some even far more economical than Optimum/Meguiars products sold here. Just got to look for it. Your money, your choice, your decision, choose wisely. That's what this forum thread is all about. Not just showcasing works but also knowledge and products. Happy detailing.

ShowTime

Known Member
Jun 3, 2011
KL
To be, i use and test all product no matter what people say good or bad. then i judge for myself. if its good i'll put it into my "medical paint prescription"
To be honest bro, I ain't stopping anyone from buying Meguiar's or forcing them to switch to OPT. Is just that I got ripped off so bad with their consumer wax(NXT 2.0) that I feel bad if other people will be a victim like me. Barry also performed a video claiming how good his NXT line is so I bought it & I have to find out the hard way on the performance of the product by spending RM128!

I apologize again to those die hard Meguiar's supporters that I may pissed off like KrisMas and fishbonez as I believe both of them use their professional/detailer line a lot & still using them until today.

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
I would say that in Malaysia, we aren't really spoiled for choice. Look at Autogeek forum and you will drool (or at least I did) at the variety of products. But after checking out the shipping charges to have those delivered to Malaysia..... I have to hold back on my saliva.

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
I've been in touch recently with one fellow detailing enthusiast a lot lately who is letting me try his custom made experimental wax, sealant, coating. Can't disclose products though. One thing that I learnt is that lots of LSP out there (not all of them) has some sort of carrier which is usually some sort of oil/polymer that leaves a slick/oily feeling on the surface after application. Problem is lots of people think that the feel of the product on the paint surface from the oil/polymer remnants after application is an indicator of product durability when in fact it is actually not. Try a light wash down after the product has set in to see it without those remnant oils/polymers and you will get a different feel. Also some LSP are water beaders, some water sheeters and some a balance of both. Most people out there go bonkers when they do not see water beads and claim the product has poor performance. Do a 50/50 comparison.

FYI, I still have a bottle of NXT 1.0 liquid wax which is about 10 years old already. Tried it recently and it lasted about 1 month before the water beading/sheeting characteristic deteriorated (without any topper, QD, etc and regular car wash with Osren bubble shampoo every week). Using a no rinse wash like Duragloss no rinse wash and ONR extends LSP life cycle little bit longer.

P.S: I'm not a Meguiars product hugger :P

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Agree with S1tl and others here. There is no 1 brand that can cater to all. Each brand have some good and some not so good products and the suitability varies among different paint type. Instead of nailing myself dead to 1 brand, I like to experiment different ones and determine the right product for each specific paint.

ShowTime

Known Member
Jun 3, 2011
KL
Agree with S1tl and others here. There is no 1 brand that can cater to all. Each brand have some good and some not so good products and the suitability varies among different paint type. Instead of nailing myself dead to 1 brand, I like to experiment different ones and determine the right product for each specific paint.
Quite true but I believe this only apply to enthusiast & detailers(making money) and not for the average joe. Take for example Meguiar's Ultimate Wax Liquid its cost RM157 for just 16 oz!! Costs more than double compared to Optimum Car Wax/Alien Wax(17 oz.) & to test it by buying it is way too pricey. Lately even Hypercoat didn't even provide workshop to demo for their latest wax. Sad. Expect us customers to find out the hard way.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Quite true but I believe this only apply to enthusiast & detailers(making money) and not for the average joe. Take for example Meguiar's Ultimate Wax Liquid its cost RM157 for just 16 oz!! Costs more than double compared to Optimum Car Wax/Alien Wax(17 oz.) & to test it by buying it is way too pricey. Lately even Hypercoat didn't even provide workshop to demo for their latest wax. Sad. Expect us customers to find out the hard way.
Whether average joe or more than average joe, the only way to find out is to buy and try. Same. Customers or any users have to find out the hard way regardless of whether the manufacturer explain or not. Don't tell me if the manufacturer say that it is good, one will believe without testing. Sometimes, it is luck. And by the way, ShowTime, from all your post, I'm quite sure you are quite experienced in this and not just an average joe ;)

seech

Known Member
Jan 21, 2007
Thank you showtime for your thread. Indeed Dr. G is a chemist and a great guy. I am eagerly awaiting more amazing new products from him.

While as pointed out by so many on this thread, it is debatable if Optimum is the best..... but without a doubt their products are Easy, Effortless and Effective to use! I challenge anyone to find an easier and faster to apply wax than Optimum Car Wax/Alien Wax which is a simple spray on and wipe off process which does NOT stain your rubber or plastic trim!

Car care should not take a lot of time or effort. ONR + OCW your ride in 15 mins or less.

I wish Optimum users would share the ratios used for things they do. I've only just recently managed to get the ratio for claying, car wash and now QD.

Now I have to figure out the OPC ratios. So far Seech has taught me only 1:3 for general purpose cleaning or full strength for stubborn stains.
As recommended by Optimum and as a guide but definitely can be adjusted to suit.

This is my OPC ratio which may vary between aliens

Paint cleaning and general cleaning(interior and carpet): 1:5
Wheels and door hinge area (and also those carpet stains that are more stubborn): 1:3
Engine bay: 1:1
Stubborn engine bay: 1:0

See, I just gave out my secret.... habis lar my part time business.... hehe. We are all in the jolly mood of sharing.
I don't think you need to worry.... The thing that sets you apart is your passion for detailing!

KC even trained a LADY & a few kids to use a rotary with OPT products. See here.

A picture is worth a thousand words
Car detailer: How to Car detailing - Charity hands on session by KC & Seech
Erm.... Got another lady coming soon..... :-)

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
The Seech has spoken

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
I don't think you need to worry.... The thing that sets you apart is your passion for detailing!

Erm.... Got another lady coming soon..... :-)
As a saying goes (after some modification), there is only so much a product can assist, the rest is patience, skills, passion and burning desire to do better each time.

Btw, when the lady coming arr..... i can teach also. =P

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
ShowTime, I'm not really a 'die hard' supporter of Meg's. It's just that, so far, of all the years of using Meg's Proffessional & Detailer line of products, they haven't dissapoint me yet. They're not really THE BEST but, to me, they're the most economical, effective and value-for-money products (not necessarily the cheapest). But, saying that, I do get them cheaper from other sources and not the local dealer/distributor as their price is, I FULLY AGREE, 'cut throat'. If you have any other products that you'd like to suggest, I'd me more than willing to try them out as I'd also like to look for other alternatives, just in case. In the mean time, since I'm not involve with any commercial details and they're just for my personal usage, they worked for me so I'm sticking with them (amongst others, of course).

I'm a firm believer that, there's no such thing as 'THE BEST' product out there. There's 'The best product FOR YOU to suit YOUR PERSONAL CONDITIONS/EXPECTATIONS'. That's why when somebody ask me for my advice/recommendation/suggestions, I'd be asking for more information on his/her situations and expectations (also limitations) before making any suggestions. Since I'm not affiliate to (nor do I want to be affilicate with) any brand, I can safely be partial in anything I say.

Most (if not all) of the products produced by the big brands like 3M, Meguiars, Mothers, Soft99, Turtle Wax, etc. (yes, I've tried quite a few of them), they have their own individual target majority. And they 'designed' the products to cater for these majority as, they are doing this as a business and they're only looking at, ultimately, one thing - profits. We are just a minority here and that's why *most* of the 'OTC' or 'consumer' line of products normally can't satisfy us as there are too many compromise made in order to satisfy those majority (and make the necessary profits).

Furthermore, the OTC or consumer line of products would, one way or another, contain something like an all-in-one properties, with safety in mind (safety from legal suits against them!). Me, I prefer to have a product that is dedicated to do a task. As the saying goes - 'Jack of all trades but master in none'. Giving example of Meguiars line of products, I've found that the NXT wax contain a mild cleaner (so do the majority of OTC waxes/sealants) so as to be able to attract the common folks by stating that it'll be able to both SHINE and PROTECT the paintwork. But (I'm just speculating here) that mild cleaner *could* be the one that's compromising the durability of the protection as Meg's do have something in their Professional range that doesn't have any cleaning properties but with better durability - e.g. Meg's M16. That's why, like I said, I'd normally go for a product that's dedicated to do a job. For example a degreaser to degrease oil, tar remover to remove tar, iron dissolver to remove iron deposit, a shampoo that doesn't leave anything behind (like wax or polimer), etc. These products are more effective as compared to the 'all-in-one' as they don't have to compromise anything to do something else. But, again, saying that, AIO or multi-purpose products also do have a place in my regular/normal maintenance regime. So, if I intend to remove some stubborn brake dust on my wheels I'd most probably go for my Sonax or IronX, but if I just wanted to do my regular maintenace of removing the mild brake dust, tar, dirt, grime, oil film, etc. I'd most probably go for the 'all-in-one', baring in mind that I'd most probably won't be effectively removing EVERYTHING in one go.

So back to the topic, my personal view would be - the 'journey' will never end. As technology progresses, it's a matter of taking the plunge of progressing with the technology or staying with something that works FOR YOU. I've started my journey quite a few years ago and jump from one brand to another and back, and find that I'm just going in circles. So nowadays, I keep those product that works for me regardless of their brand, while at the same time, try to keep up with the new products that's been popping up (as far as I'm able) since this has become a hobby of mine. Instead of trying a product and saying that it's good or bad, I try my best to find the pro and cons, the good and bad, and try to figure out in what SITUATION would the product be useful for. Don't be surprised if one day you'd be going back to where you started or picking up something that's been collecting dust and find that IT WORKS.

My personal suggestion, if you've already bought something from the well-knowned and established brand, try to keep it (but careful to store it properly so that it won't go spoil on you). You wouldn't know when it might come in handy some day. (They might even become a collector's item......hehehe...)

Lastly, I've come to a conclusion years ago that most (if not all) of the renowned and established brands available locally has been over-hyped, over-priced, over-exagerated, over-whatever......locally, not to mention all the 'half-truths' that they're feeding the publics/us. I feel that the few of them are just taking advantage of the brand name to charge us 'premium' prices instead of a competitive one since they have the so-called 'sole right' over the products pricing here. I agree some of them had to due to the authorities exerting their conditions, but there are a few that are just plain ridiculous. Imagine resorting to 'aggresive' method to squash small time traders (who sells them at cheaper prices and just want to make a little extra cash), in the name of 'premium product'. I'm lucky cuz I'm able to source for these products somewhere else and also, I've come to know that some boasted to have the 'latest' technology, whereas in actual fact they are already a few years behind. But that's another story altogether.

If you've read this far then you've already being too kind to listed to the rambling of an old man who's far from being a professional. My words doesn't really hold much water but, just entertain me...hahahah.....

Cheers.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Wahlauweh.

I read all the comments going on here and I can only say one thing :

I use whatever makes my car look good without costing a bomb.

Doesn't matter it cleans, lasts, beads, whatever. I'm too ordinary to bother.

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
To each his own.....different strokes for different folks.

Regards.

Wahlauweh.

I read all the comments going on here and I can only say one thing :

I use whatever makes my car look good without costing a bomb.

Doesn't matter it cleans, lasts, beads, whatever. I'm too ordinary to bother.
Reading back what I wrote, you just sums up what I was trying to say in less than one sentence.....I'm getting too old for this.....hehehehe....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I'm having trouble finding repairs here in California. The brake pads of my LFA needs to be replaced that's why I need to go to a car repair shop as soon as possible.

Please help. :confused:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience