my b16a fuel consumption

audiolizard

Known Member
Aug 19, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
im currently using a b16a engine..
so i test my fuel consumption, with shell(not V power) or Bhp.
i just found out that my car full tank is around RM70-80 i think.
the question here is, when my fuel gauge reach almost to the bottom part,
my car just clocked on 250-270km. i dun think it can even reach 300km.
is that normal or its rediculous? the fc is a huge different to me since im driving Myvi for last time.
any 1 can share their opinion here?

---------- Post added at 04:49 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:36 AM ----------

sorry i dint state that im a manual tranny.
and my head is b16b type R head( does it afflect the fc?)
so what would de problem might be?

my exhaust pipig to large?
my ECU had tune by the previous owner, he state that the car is very jimat minyakk but what i saw is different..
or mayb i need to overhaul the engine? bad digest system i think?
should i bring it to my mech? can he check it out for me what is going wrong? thx

drewn123

Known Member
Dec 13, 2005
I used to suffer this dillemma.... My B16B clocked not even 300km on a full tank... This only with occassional drag, which is ridiculously high FC for a 1.6 engine. ( However, i do realise much of my FC is based on my right foot, =.= )

After changing a few items and make some changes to my driving style.. i had achieved around 380km for city/town driving and 450km for highways on a full tank... (shift early, light throttle. Doesn't mean u drive like a slow-poke laaaa, just increase ur speed slowly instead of vtec-ing all the way)

My changes;-
- ngk iridium sparkplugs (did u change ur's yet???)
- service as in changing the engine oil, etc
- ron97 (this is probably the most significant improvement on my FC. While using RON95, I only suffer a little in accel but the it kindda consumes more petrol. Once change to RON97, there's an improvement on my FC)

Based on city driving with traffic lights, etc etc
RON95 - around $0.26 per km
RON97 - around $0.20 per km

(while on RON95, i need to try harder to hit the figure of 300km on a full tank. But with RON97, i can achieve 350km easily)

This is just my case and my observation on my car, as i reset my mileage everytime i fill-up. I'm not sure whether my opinion will help u... cheers

Last edited:

camshaft

Known Member
Nov 3, 2006
my setup is just like yours...b16a+pnp head and ctr cams...full tank my b16a manual can go about 400km on highway + stop n go at traffic lights...watch ur right foot bro...drive slowly...no need to speed when driving at town....and no need to compare to myvi la...is like comparing 170hp vs 90hp....

skalock77

Known Member
Feb 13, 2007
Vtec open more mean more fuel consume...hahah......if u drive normal (no open vtec)....i think u can achieve it....but if u drive slow also consume more fuel...then u have to check ur car

220mph

Known Member
Mar 31, 2006
kl
im not a vtec owner though.
but 115whp campro and altezza owner.
anyway just to share.
if keep reving till wheelspin on 2nd and 3rd gear, fc for campro rm75=300max. altezza rm 100=400max .. but if drive with drive conservatively. daily from old klang road to TTDI and back + traffic jam. 500km for campro easily, 600 for altezza ..
i think that sums up the story lo.
infact i've tried to get record millage with my campro. done from here to penang on a 5am morning journey. no jam etc. with empty tank of fuel pump in rm70 . get 650km millage. believe it or not. lol..
therefore i think , controling our right foot is the best fuel millage substance

audiolizard

Known Member
Aug 19, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
my setup is just like yours...b16a+pnp head and ctr cams...full tank my b16a manual can go about 400km on highway + stop n go at traffic lights...watch ur right foot bro...drive slowly...no need to speed when driving at town....and no need to compare to myvi la...is like comparing 170hp vs 90hp....
hmm. okay btw does throttle body afftect FC also? mine already change to racing type de..
and my car also same like u 170hp on road.
yea i admit i bang to redline several times on highway yea and vtec open i mean....
nothing to do i guess but to refill the oil tank and try for 1 more week. lol.
yea its stupid to compare with MYVI but hell yea myvi is great saving oil car haha..
il repost when i get the results thx to all ya!

rodcyprian

Known Member
Mar 12, 2009
My B16A full tank can drive up to 350km with every vtec always buka.
But if not playing with vtec can reach more than 400km.

Just a sharing,
Two years back when I ask my friend send me using his Myvi 1.3 manual to take my new car, Toyota Wish 1.8 auto. We both car try to fill up full tank and drive back home about 250km, and refill again just to test the fuel consumption. And the result is 15litres for Myvi and also 15litres for Wish.
My point is I still think Myvi is not that fuel economy. Fuel economy still go to Honda City/Jazz or Toyota Vios/Yaris... :biggrin::biggrin:

rodcyprian

Known Member
Mar 12, 2009
my b16a standard manual RM10 = 40-50km either vtec every gear or slow drive
full tank about RM70 also will not reach 400km :(

only mod open pod and exhaust....
I think all B16A is about like that! With or without On air-con also!:smokin::smokin:

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
bro kangyoon and other bro's...

for city driving,i think 350km-370km should be considered alright...cause our gear ratios also can play a role....5th gear RPM3000 below 100km/h or near....

anyways...for improvements you guys can consider using VAFC and send your car for tuning...there should be improvements not only in performance but for FC also.....

don forget also depends if you have rechip your ECU...some chips like mugen tends to be a little too rich below vtec point.....

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
bro kangyoon and other bro's...

for city driving,i think 350km-370km should be considered alright...cause our gear ratios also can play a role....5th gear RPM3000 below 100km/h or near....

anyways...for improvements you guys can consider using VAFC and send your car for tuning...there should be improvements not only in performance but for FC also.....

don forget also depends if you have rechip your ECU...some chips like mugen tends to be a little too rich below vtec point.....
yup. my car was running rich, not at vtec, on startup also rich already. drink petrol? okla, full tank can get me approx 300-320km....

changed back to my previous chip, can get me 350-370km... depending on the drivers mood too.. :biggrin:

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
yeah bro...some chips is like that....

but don worry...your FC will be sweet once the piggyback comes in ..hehehe...

Last edited:

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
i wan hondata, but damn exp
i wan neo, still no budget

can EK4 OBDII rechip?
or still need to get OBDI ecu?
u still need OBD I.

however u can get the converter harness... then get an OBD I and CHIP ITS MAMA! :biggrin:

hondata is exp, but rmb.. u get what u pay for! cheap things aint good and good things aint cheap!

ad_EG: WAHHHH SO PUBLIC MEH! top secret mod tuh! :biggrin::biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I never bought any car from direct owner,I bought all my car (like 5 times) all new direct from showroom.
Just want to know what need to do, when u purchase second hand from direct owner, and what need to take caution.
1. How to change car owner name?
2. How to secure both buyer and seller.
a) Load only applicable from 80~85% for second hand car, so need to pay 15~20% deposit to seller.
How to secure buyer being cheated.
b) Normally seller deliver car to buyer after received bank...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience