MRS engine burning engine oil

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Ixeo, swap also not cheap.. Some more dunno the engine condition..
Dun want later swap already, same case happen also..

BeCool, 2zz too expensive liao.. I think at least 10k -12k for the swap..
If 5k can swap 2zz, I also want leh.. Hahaha..
Ya is around that price...8K for 6-speed manual, + labour and etcs already cost close to RM10K
then later need to upgrade other things like brakes and etcs. At least 12K to be safe for 2zz
transplant.

Maybe swap 3sge if RM5K hehe! Can try ask around how much is 3sge/gte
I heard is around this price. Cheaper than 2zz

jacloh

Mar 17, 2010
Johor Bahru
But I heard a lot of custom things need to be fabricated in order to swap 3sgte into MR-S.
And I also not sure which workshop would be experience in jb for this kind of swap..

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
But I heard a lot of custom things need to be fabricated in order to swap 3sgte into MR-S.
And I also not sure which workshop would be experience in jb for this kind of swap..
That one not sure, got to find out and survey around if really intend for the transplant.
Maybe check MR-S forums or anything. Not so sure about that.

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
Ixeo, swap also not cheap.. Some more dunno the engine condition..
Dun want later swap already, same case happen also..

BeCool, 2zz too expensive liao.. I think at least 10k -12k for the swap..
If 5k can swap 2zz, I also want leh.. Hahaha..
in there abouts (cost).

but its a whole different engine.

if you intend to turbo the mr-s, a low boost bump shd be ok, any more...well make sure there are spare 1zz engines :)

3SGTE is a beast engine, can easily handle more power. though the weight of the engine is a drawback on the mr-s.

There is one or two mr-s that been swapped for 3S in malaysia, 2zz mr-s about 6, 1 swapped k20a in JB. :)

your 1zz piston rings are toast (which is why the depletion of oil), it happens unfortunately. happened to me before, but on a higher milage. decided to opt for 2zz instead

Last edited:

jacloh

Mar 17, 2010
Johor Bahru
Hi koolspyda,

Any idea where the 3S is swap?
Although 3s is much heavier, but with the power increase, I think the the weight increase is insignificant..
I'm more concern on the weight distribution since the weight will be more towards the rear.
Maybe the car will tends to be more oversteer?

jacloh

Mar 17, 2010
Johor Bahru
Well yeehau86, that 3SGTE MRS is selling at Kuching,Sarawak.
So I guess that swap must be done at Sarawak then.
I'm from JB la, cant ship my MR-S over for swap leh.. hahaha..

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
Hi koolspyda,

Any idea where the 3S is swap?
Although 3s is much heavier, but with the power increase, I think the the weight increase is insignificant..
I'm more concern on the weight distribution since the weight will be more towards the rear.
Maybe the car will tends to be more oversteer?
Chances are several proper shops can do it, you need a full rear cut. Some fabrications on the mount brackets. Wiring harness, ecu, some fabrication on brackets..etc. remember the 3S engine face the other was around as compared to 1zz/2zz. (exhaust port faces firewall). Yes it will oversteer much (as least on 'that' KL 3Sgte mr-s) unless a thoughtful consideration into proper suspension setup. No cutting corners.

The previous 3SGTE on the mrs in KL was a blotched job, I know. Those early days its was not a common swap cause everyone thought need to cut firewall, but i tracked it down for the (international) community, I have seen it up close. No firewall was needed to be cut.

Though it had so much problems until the car was send to so many different workshops in order to *"salvage" it. I think it because the owner gave to an accessory shop to swapped for him :faceplam:. I was also informed it over steered like crazy. (& crashed several times).

I don't deny it's a good engine (3SGTE) to boost, and easily handle added power. (Cast iron engine vs aluminium engine). However, I feel to harness that much power, the amount to rebook into the set up may mean an additional $$. That I think may even bum the figure of $$ 2zz swap. (my opinion).

There are those who pioneered a proper 3S job overseas, maybe it's better to read up.

* i know those shops that was asked to look into it

Last edited:

jacloh

Mar 17, 2010
Johor Bahru
Hmm.. Then I guess I just stick to my original plan..
Overhaul my 1zz-fe, save more money and go for low boost turbo..
This seems to be overall much cheaper "investment".. haha..

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
Hmm.. Then I guess I just stick to my original plan..
Overhaul my 1zz-fe, save more money and go for low boost turbo..
This seems to be overall much cheaper "investment".. haha..
low boost for 1zz is fine. don't get too greedy.

i'll share with you what couple of car guys who were mightily impressed with how easily a proper set up slightly modded NA mr-s could keep up with the boosted guys. mind you, they are not some wiralution swap but regular touge kakis with cars that's famous with their bob-bob-bob sound :driver: :biggrin:

the spyders natural forte is the ability to handle well, so a proper set up with braces, good suspension, anti roll bars & [cough] decat & nice headers help the spyder shine.

Granted some spyders will have some aged as some are not their first car, so wear & tear has to be taken to account.

I stressed for those who intend to keep it long termer, and IF you need to swapped engine (burning oil/ engine has done very, very high milage etc, do only then consider a 2zz swap)

1zz 'lok tei' engines are not that expensive though they are a bit 'fragile' as oppose to 2zz if the engine is constantly pushed. Thats the reason why it is designated 1zz-FE & not 2zz-GE
its still ok & fun or else why would lotus did consider & opted the 1zz in their entry lotus S. :smokin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear brothers,

Just need some advice and opinions from you guys, just had a minor accident for the first time in my life.
It's my fault, I ( Silver Myvi ) accidentally bang his car (Orange Myvi) because I didn't pay enough attention while reversing (Only look at left side mirror).

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience