Mitsubishi 4G54 top overhaul

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
This journey begin last Sat when i drop by at my parents house and saw my bro and dad is peeking donw the engine bay of the Pajero while discussing something. I decided to join and they said they want to do top overhaul of the engine and i noticed that the hood and the air cleaner assembly is already off so i guess they are serious about it. Since i had my tool set on standby in my BLM bonnet i brought it to the scene.I also happened to have a Haynes service manual for the car...what can go wrong right???

Anyway here is the car...its an LO47 Pajero powered by 4G54 engine. Previously it was using a different set of wheels ( Mangles 16 inch ) but was changed recently. BTW the Mangles is up for sale.

Sadly i did not take picture when the air cleaner, intake & exhaust,radiator fan assembly, valve cover,are still attached to the engine. I also skip the finding TDC part as i bet most of u guys are more expert than me. Only few picture after;
Intake off:

Exhaust off:

We leave the carb attached to the intake manifold to reduce labor and work time. After all none of us are mechanic and this is our first time doing major job. The carb is laden with vacuum hoses and we really dont want to mess with the setup.

Initially we thought the timing chain can be removed from the sprocket after we removed the bolt which holds the sprocket to the camshaft. The manual said that can be done but will require a special tool. So, the timing chain cover have to go too to access the tensioner...well actually there is a window to access the tensioner but since we have gone this far...why not. To do this, all the acc bolted to the engine are removed which are the power steering pump, water pump, alternator, compressor.

After we loosen the tensioner we loosen the bolt holding the head and it comes off easily. Luckily there is lots of space in the engine bay after the front part of the engine acc and radiator assembly is removed. I actually climb into the engine bay to lift the head off the block. It was quite heavy;

Lots of carbon build up. The concern is on cylinder no 4 as there are traces of engine oil.

More closed up pictures;

Here are the piston....Lots of carbon build up and again, no 4 had traces of oil;
FYI no 1 is closest to the timing chain.

Few shots of WD40 into all cylinder does not show that the rings are worn out as the fluid remained there.
Same test on the head also returned similar result. Nonetheless we will still grind the valve before reassembly apart from replacing all seals and gasket.

Rocker arm off;

It was late evening and after ordering the gasket set i set to do minor cleaning on the timing chain cover and here is the result;

Petrol works well in removing the varnish but i rinse it off with degreaser ( alkaline based ) as petrol will leave behind oily stain. I removed the old gasket and cleaned the surface so its easy for the person doing assembly to hold the park and work with the part.

Here is the aftermath of the disassembly;

I might not be around for assembly so i remind my bro to rake pictures. If i am able to join him which i strongly hope so then i will take picture myself. It was fun doing this as most of the time we are diving in blind as the diagram in the manual totally differ from what we are having in front of our eyes.

BTW, if anyone know where to source fiberglass hood for this Pajero do let me know. We want to shed some weight.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Few item needed input from experts;
1.should i use the valve seal which will comes together with the gasket set or source a better one for longer reliability?
2.should i replace the timing chain tensioner and its guide since its its accessible? so far no issue that we notices?
3.How to check the teppets condition?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
IMG-20190305-WA0038.jpg
IMG_20190305_182248.jpg
IMG_20190305_182222.jpg

Update....Gasket arrived yesterday and when i drop by at the 'workshop' i discovered that the timing chain cover and the valve cover is cleaned.

My bro is working on grinding the valve.
So far so good. We will find a way to clean the intake without removing it from the engine bay if possible as other parts are just too cleaned.

Last edited:
Reactions: ^pomen_GTR^

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
IMG-20190307-WA0019.jpg
Update;
Valves are grinded, carbon cleaned and sent to be resurface...All too shiny, belong in a display cabinet;

Cost RM30 to resurface.

Reactions: ^pomen_GTR^

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Your work better then sending to mechanic.......:driver:
Well the engineering shop must do as much as they can in a day...its income for them.
I really wonder why my bro send it to be resurface as i know its in good shape and only the gasket residue needs to be removed. He cant wait for engine start up maybe.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Well the engineering shop must do as much as they can in a day...its income for them.
I really wonder why my bro send it to be resurface as i know its in good shape and only the gasket residue needs to be removed. He cant wait for engine start up maybe.
Yah! if only top overhaul no need resurface, unless overheated.....lol

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Gunnerz : how'd you remove the timing chain?
Initially we thought it can be removed after removing the sprocket but we discovered that wont work as the tensioner put more tension on the chain and we dont have the special tool to push the tensioner.

We remove the timing chain cover and press the tensioner, removed a metal thing and removed the chain from the sprocket. The chain tensioner is oil pressure driven and can be pressed using hands to release the tension. Chain is left on the engine.

To removed it completely off the engine block will require removal of the oil pump sprocket which is driven by a shorter chain. We dont do this.

Update....the head is on the block last Saturday and torqed down with 3 step as recommended by the manual 34>69>75 ft/lb. Head gasket is sprayed with copper spray.
Will update the picture tonight.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Initially we thought it can be removed after removing the sprocket but we discovered that wont work as the tensioner put more tension on the chain and we dont have the special tool to push the tensioner.

We remove the timing chain cover and press the tensioner, removed a metal thing and removed the chain from the sprocket. The chain tensioner is oil pressure driven and can be pressed using hands to release the tension. Chain is left on the engine.

To removed it completely off the engine block will require removal of the oil pump sprocket which is driven by a shorter chain. We dont do this.

Update....the head is on the block last Saturday and torqed down with 3 step as recommended by the manual 34>69>75 ft/lb. Head gasket is sprayed with copper spray.
Will update the picture tonight.
Does the chain have a specific spot to sit in or it doesn't matter? Like timing belt needs the sprocket to line up with a certain marker etc etc. Never messed with chain before

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Does the chain have a specific spot to sit in or it doesn't matter? Like timing belt needs the sprocket to line up with a certain marker etc etc. Never messed with chain before
Yup, there is a mark on the cam sprocket and the chain but since we do not removed it from the crank sprocket everything lined up perfectly when reinstall.

Words makes it sound so easy but in realy life it was hell trying to put the chain onto the sprocket and sprocket to the cam.

Just to be sure we turn the engine few times by turning the crank and so far so good.

I really wonder why the timing belt or chain must be alligned at the marker?
Then there is facin IN/OUT oso for belt.

Reactions: Izso

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Yup, there is a mark on the cam sprocket and the chain but since we do not removed it from the crank sprocket everything lined up perfectly when reinstall.
This part I have trouble understanding. Isnt there a mark on the head to align to the sprocket? Did you not mark a spot before removal? I see 2 camshafts but only one sprocket. How is the other shaft driven?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
This part I have trouble understanding. Isnt there a mark on the head to align to the sprocket? Did you not mark a spot before removal? I see 2 camshafts but only one sprocket. How is the other shaft driven?
There is a small hole on the camshaft end which matches the cam sprocket notch.

Before we put the head back on we adjust the camshaft position first so that both valve on No1 is closed and piston no 1 in the block is at its highest position. Basically we just adjust those item so that no1 is at TDC (compression stroke).
We reinstall the sprocket after installing the head.

The 4G54 is a single cam engine.
I wish it was twincam...lesser fuel required to run it maybe?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

guys, don't buy if u bump into these items:

1. sard EL boost meter
2. Greddy EGT meter without sensor
3. M's electronic boost controller without the relay
4. Sony cd player XDC L470
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience