Mini? L2? Out of my depth! Help!

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Ok here's the deal. I know nothing about the old school Mini but even less about the L2/L5 upgrades but currently babysitting a friend's Mini with an L2 conversion, Eterna turbo, Matspeed regrinded cams, E-Manage and some other odds and ends including a custom dash which is pretty wicked.

So I took it to Sepang the last track day but only did perhaps 4 laps in it (went in towards later part of the three hours because setting up Rev-Junkies retail booth, etc) and although the handling is pretty much like a go-kart, its really gymkhana rather than Sepang friendly.

Anyway, that aside I'd like to squeeze more power out of the car because as it is, the car is fine during the sharper corners but give it a little bit of straight say the stretch leading up to Turn 4 is enough to rub in how underpowered the car is to say nothing of the two straights.

Handling I think is a bit off perhaps due to weight? I don't know how much the L2 engine affects weight distribution but then again the rears have practically no suspension at all. Rock hard and definitely needs to be softer. But the main issue is perhaps slightly larger turbo? But how laggy would that be? Now engine revs fine, I try to not exceed 9000 but it does rev a bit too quickly at times and so far boost I've kept at 1 bar just to be safe.

What's a good turbo to upgrade from current Eterna stock turbine? I doubt I could get away with an FMIC due to space constraints so it'll have to be something that the top mount can cope with. Fueling I'm not too worried, if needs pump or extra injectors, surge tank etc all I have brand new spares. Other than that I don't see what else I can do to give it some extra power.

BTW, general rule of thumb - what's an L2 good for boost wise assuming tuned properly, enough fueling etc. How much can it handle? Also what sort of power are people putting out while still remaining somewhat driveable atm?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
tdo4 and vf22 from legacy was the common upgrades for k-car engine...but the manifold and downpipe also need some fabrication to suits.....

with stock internal 1.1bar still safe for daily/occasional high speed..but at high rev i doubt higher boost....

for cooling try those dry-ice/nitrogen cooling type for space constrained engine bay (the spare tank can be located on passenger seat)...coz top mount intercooler not much in help to solve cooling the boosted air...perhaps u might need 4agze/subaru sti intercooler just barely enough to cope with the heat...?? :adore:

btw nice frankestein project car...any picture to share?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
if you have intercooler constraints can look into meth/h2o injection straight to the combustion chamber to prevent knock and detonation at high boost, and effectively run higher boost.

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Wish there was a radio.. Or aircond for that matter yikes!

aalto

Known Member
Dec 31, 2004
Bro,..you blacked out the plate no. in the pics, but it can clearly seen in the video...so much for the owners privacy...haha

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Bro,..you blacked out the plate no. in the pics, but it can clearly seen in the video...so much for the owners privacy...haha
Yeah, by the time it came to uploading the video I realized it was at last RCA Track Day at Sepang and will probably be at all the events Rev-Junkies are involved in once we've got it all decked out in RJ decals purely for promo and attention.

Still a pretty fun car though. Just needs a little more poke.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
for L2 engine provided with proper cooling (oil/radiator/intercooler) i think it can run around 100hp@engine with little issue....but i think need to set rev limit lower to keep the crank bearing from fried?

:adore: just my 2cents from minimal experience on L2 engine

l200turbo

Known Member
Jun 2, 2008
yup, last time my standard l2 engine with rhf4 turbine can goes up to 100+bhp. just some minor mod done such as fuel pump n injector. 200+ bhp is achievable if u swap with 1000cc block with bigger turbine and changing internals.