Megane Renault Sport 250 Cup - Hottest Hot Hatch now available here for RM230,000!

keshy

500 RPM
Dec 12, 2007

Renault, a brand that was once known for its commercial vehicles like the Kangoo has been making significant strides in Malaysia. Over the past two years or so TC Euro, the distributor of everything Renault in Malaysia, has introduced a number of worthy cars like the Clio 1.6, Espace, Koleos, and the Laguna Coupe. But that's for ordinary people, leading ordinary lives and want ordinary cars.

What most people don't know is that besides building great everyday cars, Renault is also the builder of all great hot hatches and is widely regarded as the best at it. Riding on this fact, TC Euro introduced the previous versions of the Renault Megane R26 and the high strung Clio RS 197 and both models were received with much fan fare and generated a lot of interest for Renault hot hatches in this country.

If you look back at the history of the French car builder, some of the best hot hatches of all time carry the diamond emblem of Renault. Remember the Renault 5 Turbo, Clio Williams and the legendary mid-engined V6? It really doesn't get better than any of these when it comes to the high octane world of the hot hatch.

So with TC Euro on a roll and posting impressive sales figures, the company now introduces another hot hatch and one that is surely to make the competition look like they're catering to the aunties, and grandma's rather than pure red-blooded enthusiast, a hatch that we drove today, the Megane Renault Sport 250 Cup.

Successor to the Megane R26 and the legendary fastest front-wheel-drive-car around the Nurburgring (it still is), the Megane R26R, the new 250 Cup is faster, smarter, cheaper, and to some extent prettier than its predecessor.

The Megane 250 Cup couples real world practicality with devilish capability on track. The car has a true enthusiasts dream list of performance parts like the Cup chassis (uprated springs, dampers, and anti-roll bar), Limited Slip Differential, G-Force meter, pre-set pedal maps, driver and passenger Recaro seats and massive 340mm vented and slotted Brembo disc brakes.

This wish-list of equipment coupled with a 2-liter twin-scroll turbocharged engine that churns out a stonking 250hp at 5500rpm and 340Nm of torque available at just 3000rpm, creates a car that wipes out the 100km/h mark in just 6.1 seconds and does not stop humping your senses until you reach its 245km/h top speed. All the while cocooning you in a sensory chamber that is comfortable, spacious and most importantly, safe. Besides the 6 air bags inside, the 250 Cup also achieved a full 37 out of 37 points when tested by Euro NCAP and gave it a 5-star Safety Rating.

In addition to that, the 250 Cup also features real world practicality like a spacious booth, keyless drive with hands free access, integrated Bluetooth, automatic headlamps and wipers, dual zone air-conditioning, bi-xenon headlights, seatbelt warning lights for all five seats, tyre pressure monitoring system, cruise control with speed limiter, ESP with understeer control, and emergency brake assist. The list goes on and on, long enough to convince you to buy it but then I would have to end my article here which can't happen because I have more to say.

I got the chance to take it for a spin around the North track of the Sepang International Circuit this morning and it was absolutely perfect; composed with very little body roll, incredible amounts of grip and most importantly, it was incredibly quick. I have not came across a front-wheel-drive car that gives you the confidence to get on the pedal before the apex and lets you stay flat on the throttle through the sweeping leftie that is Turn 5, there's usually some amount of lift off before entering a corner but not with the 250 Cup.

Don't take my word for it, TC Euro were so confident that they got ex-Singaporean A1GP race driver Dennis Lian to set a lap time in the car and he managed an incredibly quick 2:43 in a showroom car with road tires. The man said he even managed to pull 1.2G's in the car, on road tires! That stands testament to the incredible amounts of grip that the car generates.

At RM229,800, there is no other car that is able to tear up a circuit yet be able to offer such practical virtues as everyday usability. The Megane 250 Cup comes with a 3 year warranty and a GT Option pack that includes a moon roof and leather seats (an option you best left unchecked). I'll leave my comments to when I actually get to drive it for a couple of days, but for now, I'm sold.

Regular disc on the left, disc from the R26 on the right, guess which is from the 250 CUP?

Attachments

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Re: Megane Renault Sport 250 Cup - Hottest Hot Hatch now available here for RM230,000

I like this car...

midship

2,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Jul 22, 2004
Across the pond
www.nismo.com.my
Re: Megane Renault Sport 250 Cup - Hottest Hot Hatch now available here for RM230,000

Super! Its right up there with the E92 lap times...

willyace

Known Member
Oct 18, 2007

spotted this morning... sexy...

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005

finally, its here.. now, to sell of one my kidney for this beautiful, stupendous, feckingly awesome, bed wetter, machine. i like the electronics, looks better then the GTR imo. its a proper typeR killer dis one, woohoo!!!!

jdm_jdm

Known Member
Feb 24, 2009
Penang

Huuuuuyooooo! Can wooop the CTR, VW GTi, 325, Cooper S, ... Asssss Anytime!

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Wow 230K?? That's super expensive! I know this is probably the best FWD in the world but still I'll take used Evo IX MR anytime any day with about 50K to spare for mod to make it even quicker! :)

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site

Looks so much better in terms of spec for the price compares to GTi MK6! Brembo, Recaro and more powerful. Well done ZTH on the review. Thanks!

jdm_jdm

Known Member
Feb 24, 2009
Penang

For me ... I will get this as well beside GTi MK6 .... I love the power and spec! But is 2 doors .... :nurse:

jun_ng_1208

Known Member
Jul 2, 2008
Cheras

Just spotted this ride at the Renault showroom in PJ :) Very sleek and sexy but the price is something that I couldn't afford for all my life :(

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site

Being the 250 Cup, I think the Golf-R is a more worthy rival as opposed to the 'normal' GTI...

---------- Post added at 09:09 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

But I think it's a superb car none-the-less..

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor

ya, love the car, not the price (in m'sia)... :(

mazrilo

Known Member
Mar 8, 2008

but the shape similiar as vw scirocco rite...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i hav bought my car for bout 4 years....
i noticed that my headlamp is getting faded n not shining like new headlamps....
it is a bit blur.....

wat should i do 2 overcome this prob?

if buy a new pair will cost about 300......

i saw in the market, they offer sum kind of headlamp polisher,does that works?
if yes,wat brand of the polisher that really works....

suggestion pls....

thanks a lot>......:shades_smile:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience