Lowering Ride height. (Need advice)

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
neo with 15" rims definately my choosen spec. combined with r3 springs(if i own a neo)...the ride height was lowered just fine... :adore:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The general guideline is, if you lower yr springs.. you need to make up for it by changing yr rim to 1 size bigger or your tyre height to 1 size higher.. :idea:

if 14" inch rim now.. get 15"inch rims.. alternatively.. you can change tyre from 185/60 to 185/70.

These steps actually helps to ..

I was driving my AE101 with 17" rims, it missed most of the humps.. even with full load.:driver:
But I downgraded to 15" for better pickup, the exhaust brushed all the humps..:hmmmm:
Ideally if you upsize your rims you have to compensate by using lower profile tires so that the whole rolling diameter stays about the same hence it will not increase the ground clearance.
If you just increase your rims but still using the same tire profile, or using the same rims but upsizing to higher tire profile, you would surely increase the diameter and hence add your ground clearance. However this means you will increase fuel consumption since you will be adding more weight and diameter, and like you have noticed, makes your car slower.

simongs

Feb 11, 2011
seremban
with a lowered car you can't really rush anywhere....as you have to be careful of potholes , speedbreakers , basement parkings & a lot more... hehe

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
:stupid::stupid:
with a lowered car you can't really rush anywhere....as you have to be careful of potholes , speedbreakers , basement parkings & a lot more... hehe
That's why .... Headache now..... dilemma..... :hmmmm::stupid::hmmmm::stupid:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
:stupid::stupid:

That's why .... Headache now..... dilemma..... :hmmmm::stupid::hmmmm::stupid:
No need to worry too much, lowering by 2-3cm using proper street sport springs should be fine. IMHO roads in KL are still mostly ok, not many potholes or bumps. Ur car is also a relatively short wheelbase car with short overhangs, so should not be much problems to clear ramps in malls even after lowering a bit. On the highway, ur car should also handle much better, and can corner more flat and stable.

kowkl

Known Member
Nov 26, 2003
Guys,

I would like to know if you are using the ori absorbers and use a lower spring, will that damage yr absorbers. The amount of lowering is around 1 or 2 finger only. I'm referring to Forte coz I've put up the question and have not got any answer for about 1 week. Any good reasonable priced suggestion ?
Tq

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Guys,

I would like to know if you are using the ori absorbers and use a lower spring, will that damage yr absorbers. The amount of lowering is around 1 or 2 finger only. I'm referring to Forte coz I've put up the question and have not got any answer for about 1 week. Any good reasonable priced suggestion ?
Tq
It will not affect your absorber significantly, unless you choose a spring which has a much higher spring rate than your std one, then your absorber will have to work much harder to dampen the bouncing force of the spring. But the lowering street springs made available for the general market are usually still within the tolerance that can be handled by the stock absorbers so you may not notice the difference in the absorbers' durability.

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
No need to worry too much, lowering by 2-3cm using proper street sport springs should be fine. IMHO roads in KL are still mostly ok, not many potholes or bumps. Ur car is also a relatively short wheelbase car with short overhangs, so should not be much problems to clear ramps in malls even after lowering a bit. On the highway, ur car should also handle much better, and can corner more flat and stable.
Thanks for the assurance bro. :biggrin: I shall lower soon. In 2 weeks time after my exam. =D

kowkl

Known Member
Nov 26, 2003
Any good suggestion for lowered springs for kia forte ?

TQ

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
just keep the height in between 2-3 fingers, don't too low . You will feel difficulty to park your car in malls,buildings or others. Damn.....
You mean 2-3 fingers between fender and tyre / between car's bodykit and ground?

I'm planning to lower about 4-5 cm. I measured using a ruler before. After lowering clearance for my front bumper would be around 5 or 6 cm left. Will that be too low? :hmmmm:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
You mean 2-3 fingers between fender and tyre / between car's bodykit and ground?

I'm planning to lower about 4-5 cm. I measured using a ruler before. After lowering clearance for my front bumper would be around 5 or 6 cm left. Will that be too low? :hmmmm:
IMO that would be a too low. Should be around 2 finger fender gaps or 2-3 cm lowering.

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
2-finger gap will be the ideal lowering as it has ample distance for the tyre travel and would not affect much your camber. My ride height is subzero finger gap, of course it looks good but my front camber is -2°. Usually I have to craw over higher than normal humps.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Drifting might have exploded the world over but no matter how you go about it, the essence of it still emancipates from its spiritual home, The Land of the Rising Sun, Japan.

Movie-maker Luke Huxham has been putting together a series of videos, titled, Drift Colours, that aims to chronicle the spirit of drifting by going beneath the layer of worn asphalt, smoked rubber and exhaust fumes to get more intimate with...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience