low oil pressure charged b16a

peterj

1,000 RPM

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
as seen from the title above, i suffer from low oil pressure....low rev is ok i think, since idle stay at 1 bar plus, crusing stay at 2 -3 bar.....how ever, the oil pressure stay same when i full throttle and rev, when high rev till vtec and boost kick in, pressure dropped to 2 bar only:banghead: new oil pump needed? where can get it? and got aftermarket pump that is more efficient and powerful? will that cause problems if i drive it normally(not rev past 4k rpm and no boosting)? please help:adore::adore:

peterj

1,000 RPM

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
anyone help??

yeehau86

Helmet Clan

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
Hi peterj,

My friend is facing the same situation too with his NSX NA1 Turbo rebuild, we have changed the oil pump to a new set, bearings, even swap the oil press gauges but it is still produces the same reading (plus minus 0.5 bar during idle). Also we noticed that there are bubbles on the engine oil dipstick, googled and it says overfilled engine oil at the crankcase (which we already checked the engine oil level did not exceed the maximum level at the dipstick). We switched to other engine oil but it is still the same.

Until now we have yet to determine what is the issue.

peterj

1,000 RPM

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
Hi peterj,

My friend is facing the same situation too with his NSX NA1 Turbo rebuild, we have changed the oil pump to a new set, bearings, even swap the oil press gauges but it is still produces the same reading (plus minus 0.5 bar during idle). Also we noticed that there are bubbles on the engine oil dipstick, googled and it says overfilled engine oil at the crankcase (which we already checked the engine oil level did not exceed the maximum level at the dipstick). We switched to other engine oil but it is still the same.

how about when high rev?what is the pressure?

in ur case, check your bearing clearance........hondatech ppl told that bearing clearance do affect the pressure... +-0.5 bar is very low that is harmful already... since ppl said,when pressure less then 1 bar the engine oil lights will going out already.....

mine is iddle 1 bar +-,crusing 2 bar plus,when start rev, the pressure going up a bit then drop...:banghead:

any else can help?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Hi peterj,

regarding that buble..how about engine oil viscosity??does it deteriorate faster than usual??? perhaps too much piston ring gap?

or could be some pressure drop due to source of turbo oil feed??) :adore:

aranny2001

Known Member

aranny2001

Known Member
Jun 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
wah, peterj your B16A turbo-ed already yo... powerfull leh... just few months ago still B16A stock NA right? lol.... may be just like pomen GTR said, the oil viscosity changed... since you say low rpm and crusing got no problem, but vtec turbo kicked in only got this low press... how about the oil temp? oil viscosity will change to water when excedd certain temp... Turbo engine mostly are higher temp engine, may be cause of that, the oil too hot and become watery and your oil press sensor cant feel the resistance of flow of oil which we call viscosity thus this make the engine moving part is not get lubricated, better dont rev some more until the problem solve or else damage your B16a good engine lo......

peterj

1,000 RPM

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
wah, peterj your B16A turbo-ed already yo... powerfull leh... just few months ago still B16A stock NA right? lol.... may be just like pomen GTR said, the oil viscosity changed... since you say low rpm and crusing got no problem, but vtec turbo kicked in only got this low press... how about the oil temp? oil viscosity will change to water when excedd certain temp... Turbo engine mostly are higher temp engine, may be cause of that, the oil too hot and become watery and your oil press sensor cant feel the resistance of flow of oil which we call viscosity thus this make the engine moving part is not get lubricated, better dont rev some more until the problem solve or else damage your B16a good engine lo......
hurm,currently using motul 6100 15w-50..... normal operating pressure would be like 3 bar plus when cruising and 1.5-2 bar when idle, mine is low than that, even if temperature change the viscosity,pressure dropped would not be that much imo....cause my pressure never touch 4 bar plus:banghead::banghead:i do remember last time my mivec turbo when rev, it is 10bar full..... i hope changing to type R pump can solve the problem....:confused:

kayour

Known Member

kayour

Known Member
Apr 5, 2006
how about the inlet of oil pump...in the oil sum...maybe its clog/chock

peterj

1,000 RPM

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
hurm...all been cleared up since it is full rebuilt... open up till block kosong that time

virqai

Known Member

virqai

Known Member
Dec 30, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
hurm...all been cleared up since it is full rebuilt... open up till block kosong that time
if u don't mind i'm asking,did u test first the oil pump bubble or not? have check rotor or housing scratch or not?..don't u bump a bit the oil pump pressure? oil pump suction pipe do u mode its? or other else u mode the oil pump like a simple port at sharp edge oil hole etc etc?.... can u share a bit info what u did..

yeah its better if u can buy new one type r OP...where do u tap oil to turbo and turbo drain to sum?
and what size in mm the pipe oil do u use?try to look at screw oil feed at turbo,what mm the hole...
at what RPM do u switch vtec?if u dont mind to share,my be someone here can help to solve the prob..:nurse:

peterj

1,000 RPM

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
hurm...no bubbles as i check..no mod on oil pump except putting a washer on the spring...i dont know how it function but ppl use this method to increase the oil pressure.....for the oil feeding hose, since i got oil cooler also, dont want the pressure to be affected too much, i use small pipe, not more then 8mm diameter holes....the only big hoses used is the turbo return oil hose, is like 12 or 14mm diameter....vtec switch over around 5k-5.5k.........

turbo oil feed lines are from a place under the manifold(perhaps it is the place where the oil check sensor located )....my oil pressure gauge sensor also same place.....and the return hose of course directly tapped on the oil sump to return the oil....

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

and not forget, now even reach 5k plus, feel like no vtec..... or maybe it is really no vtec... tested solenoid got current going, but just no vtec...

virqai

Known Member

virqai

Known Member
Dec 30, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
hurm...no bubbles as i check..no mod on oil pump except putting a washer on the spring...i dont know how it function but ppl use this method to increase the oil pressure.....for the oil feeding hose, since i got oil cooler also, dont want the pressure to be affected too much, i use small pipe, not more then 8mm diameter holes....the only big hoses used is the turbo return oil hose, is like 12 or 14mm diameter....vtec switch over around 5k-5.5k.........

turbo oil feed lines are from a place under the manifold(perhaps it is the place where the oil check sensor located )....my oil pressure gauge sensor also same place.....and the return hose of course directly tapped on the oil sump to return the oil....
from what u said...oil pressure reading will start drop when vtec start kick right?...hemm..why?..why?..why?:

:biggrin: hope somebody will help..

peterj

1,000 RPM

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
erm... even vtec not engage also will drop...if rev hard

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Question about the oil pressure. 1-2bar?
and then 3 bar max?
What meter are you using?
I'm using old omori mechanical, I see 2-3 bar after cold start, then 3-4 bar when hot. (my oil pump is new, now only about 50K km.)
My vtec engagement is 4.8-6K, variable vtec setting with s300, so I don't simply engage vtec at half throttle. 4.8K vtec only happens at full throttle.

If you suspect VTEC not turning on, uncheck the VTEC spool error check option in the s300. That disables the VTEC oil pressure switch, so it will turn on vtec solenoid even if the pressure is low. But whether the cams can lock the mid rocker with such low pressure is another question. If it's too low, VTEC engagement will be jerky or totally fail.

Oh, you should try the motul turbolite sometime, see if the pressure better or not.

Using the S300, you can datalog and check the graph to see if vtec solenoid turns on. I'll post a picture of a sample graph later, if I go out and drive.

Do remember that what the S300 reports is the VTEC solenoid turning on, not the mid rockers locking, so if you plug in a spare solenoid unconnected to the head, it will report the solenoid as turning on, even though your engine is running on low cams/primary&secondary lobes.

Common causes of low pressure is sometimes loose main bearings, apart from the obvious like failing oil pump.

Last edited:

peterj

1,000 RPM

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
i am using shadow meter...my fren's 20v turbo use the same meter, and the pressure, even when rev in free gear already reach almost 6 bar...... my symptom is like this, hot idle at 1 bar plus only... when rev, it will climb till 2. bar plus, when start rev, it climb till 3 bar when in 3k rpm then drop to 2 bar plus....even when it is rev hard till vtec, still 2 bar,i use urbolite 4100 15w-50...... for the vtec , we checked got current flow to the solenoid, and vtec got on, just that the vtec is sluggish, what i feel is the power of boost but not vtec, since rpm climb slow and not even have vtec sound.... we had heard a lot of healthy vtec ,even just rev normally till vtec point u can heard the activation sound from the solenoid and and vtec sound so obvious... that is why i feel so sien why mine like DOHC ZC turbo :banghead:....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

It's time to break your bank account: the world's best handling sports car just got better.

Making it's debut at the New York Auto Show, the S2000 CR features a higher level of track-worthiness and style to the original S2000 roadster.

"The S2000 CR is the closest thing you can get to a Honda-built race car with license plate holders and a horn,"...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience