lets talk about brake pads road/race

ace79

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2004
minivan said:
When i bought the car. They had mintex on them. Used it for 4 track days and it worked fine. But 2 times i changed brake fluid as i read in an article, that the brake fluid is actually more important than the pads itself. I just used a good Dot 4, but a Dot 5 is adviseable/better.

Then i figured that SIC is not really that abusive on brakes. I only brake hard at turn 1, 4, 9 and 14.... so after the mintex i had, i opted for bendix metal king gold. This was also after reading an article in Auto Asian on budget racing. It said that they were good enough.

Indeed, last saturday i had them tested (again with new brake fluid) and they work just fine. Never let me down even after 4-5 laps of hard pushing when "keeping company" a pack of Lotus Elise's on the track that day... :_:
Eh bro, Dot 5.1 can use for daily driver ke?

TODA

Known Member
May 20, 2005
downtheroad
faisal said:
I'm Using Mintex M1144 on fronts and Mintex Redbox on rears.

5 continous hard laps , braking at 100m mark on both straights, no fade .

Price depends on wat car you driving

do u know how much it costs for EF8/9 front only? my trackday last weekend really dangerous brakes fading............

faisal

1,500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
The Valley
ignition.my
ace79 said:
say Faisal, roughly how much it'll be for Mintex M1144, application is on EG ( disks all around, EG6 spec )..
You'd only need M1144 for the fronts really. If for occasional tarck use Redbox would suffice for the rear. Around RM 450-500 per set (fronts)

If you interested to get, PM me and and I'll get the exact pricing.

Last edited:

ace79

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2004
TODA said:
do u know how much it costs for EF8/9 front only? my trackday last weekend really dangerous brakes fading............
hehehe, my brakes can only last between 4 - 5 laps, when I pit it, the pads was burning, blue smoke emaniating from the calipers woo...lagi on the way back, brakes was damn mushy, looks like some Goodridge / APP lines is required also..:angel_smile:

ace79

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2004
faisal said:
You'd only need M1144 for the fronts really. If for occasional tarck use Redbox would suffice for the rear. Around RM 450-500 per set (fronts)

If you interested to get, PM me and and I'll get the exact pricing.
ok faisal, at least I know the rough RMs. will PM you when the need arises...hehehe. this month no track day lah, have to budget for some brake lines. :regular_smile:

dolly

500 RPM
Dec 24, 2003
used ebc red stuff, but it was destroyed (cracked all over the place) after 3 track sessions. After the first track session it baked itself from red to brown/orange... :|

using carbotech xp10 front and carbotech xp8 rear, amazing! freakin big improvement over the ebc i was using. went 5-6laps braking around 80m mark and it didn't fade. Quiet and seems rotor friendly. A little dusty however. Front and back including shipping from uk for 1.2k

TODA

Known Member
May 20, 2005
downtheroad
ace79 said:
hehehe, my brakes can only last between 4 - 5 laps, when I pit it, the pads was burning, blue smoke emaniating from the calipers woo...lagi on the way back, brakes was damn mushy, looks like some Goodridge / APP lines is required also..:angel_smile:
To be frank, my brakes actually cant even last a long straight hard braking... OEM honda pads hehe....scary man, imagine its your 1st trackday n u cant brake soon enough....:shcokedcamo:

me too, going for steel braided lines, do u know any place offering good price incl. installation?

TODA

Known Member
May 20, 2005
downtheroad
faisal said:
I'll check, price wise for EF and EG not that far apart

thanks, but if the price its around that range(rm400-500), sadly, I dun think I can afford it. Just to let u know, no hard feelings bro!

faisal

1,500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
The Valley
ignition.my
TODA said:
thanks, but if the price its around that range(rm400-500), sadly, I dun think I can afford it. Just to let u know, no hard feelings bro!
Well the M1144 are high performance semi race pads. Price is expected really:-)

Swapping the hoses on your car to braided ones would help paddle feel as they don't expend like rubber hoses do. But they won't decrease braking distance or prevent bake pad fade.

Check your master cylinder and seals. Remember to Bleed with new Dot 4 fluid. Than go track. My friend in his MX5 uses OE mazda pads. as long as he doesn't do more than 4 laps and doesn't brake too had too late, they are fine.

Last edited:

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
TODA said:
Toda... if ur a budget hobby racer like myself, this is my formula. I use Bendix Metal King Gold up front (RM180) and stock OEM pads in the rear (RM50). Use fresh good quality Dot 4 brake fluid (+- RM100) - Good for 2 to 3 trackdays. The metal kings i've used for 2 trackdays edi. And they'll probally go thru 1-2 more...

And buy a bag of cable ties (RM2) DIY 'cable-tie-brake-hoses' :X-: .... i just have them up front. Too lazy to do the rears. Does wonders i tell you. Especially in older cars like ours...

So far this setup has never once failed me. I'm not hardcore... push for 2-3 laps than cool down alredi...:X-: :_: but i still have a blast!! (with no brake fade)

ace79

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2004
TODA said:
To be frank, my brakes actually cant even last a long straight hard braking... OEM honda pads hehe....scary man, imagine its your 1st trackday n u cant brake soon enough....:shcokedcamo:

me too, going for steel braided lines, do u know any place offering good price incl. installation?
me and my pal are thinking of changing the front disks and front brake hoses to SS over at Amoil, either middle of this month or early next month. if you're interested of doing the same, prolly you can join in, who knows, we might get slightly better price?

ace79

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2004
faisal said:
Well the M1144 are high performance semi race pads. Price is expected really:-)
say Faisal, how would these pads be for daily usage / wet weather brkaing? do you need to warm 'em up? how long would it basically last for : daily driver, often fast road usage, monthly track days.

faisal

1,500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
The Valley
ignition.my
ace79 said:
say Faisal, how would these pads be for daily usage / wet weather braking? do you need to warm 'em up? how long would it basically last for : daily driver, often fast road usage, monthly track days.
The M1144 are OE for the Satria R3s. Main reason for that car's brutal braking performance. Some squeell when new and cold but after bedding in they are fine.

My Kelisa and AE86 both use 1144 on the fronts. Of course ,The warmer they are the more effective but they work from cold. No problems in wet weather either (that's more down to tyres actually :regular_smile: )

On my AE, lasted 4 genting drives, 4 SIC Track Days and about 6-7 months in total . And car is regularly driven daily too