LCP Alert!

ehdrian

I Don't Care!
Dec 14, 2006
Penang
Buy mytheology wan better though the price is higher..for wat car btw?

meg_omen

Known Member
Oct 28, 2004
Home - Klang; O
Visit site
car usage?
if daily commute then ok... still need to frequent check if you high rev sometime...
if always high rev, then better don't venture into this...
just my RM0.02...

then again looking at your other thread, should be ok kot...:rofl:
just save a bit more and get Mythelogy or Works...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
The Mythelogy pulley has a reinforced center sleeve so wear is reduced or removed altogether, counteracts the harmonic vibrations to some extent

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
AS long as it has harmonic vibrations it will be good? What are the downfall for LCP? Until today, some say no problem,
some say Better Think Twice...I mean what are the precautions we have to take note or be prepared for?

That's why until today I also dare not go change LCP :confused:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
AS long as it has harmonic vibrations it will be good? What are the downfall for LCP? Until today, some say no problem,
some say Better Think Twice...I mean what are the precautions we have to take note or be prepared for?

That's why until today I also dare not go change LCP :confused:
Lightened pulley just lessons the rotational mass of the pulley and some undersize it to make it move slower... or was it faster? Can't remember. The direct effect is acceleration feel. Whether it translates into power or not is debatable.

Stock crank pulleys have harmonic dampeners (those rubber bits) that absorb vibration that would otherwise affect the pulley. Aftermarket pulleys don't have harmonic dampeners except for fluidampr (I think it was spelt that way) so the wear and tear from the vibration itself will affect the center part of the pulley that's connected to your crank shaft. Aluminium isn't exactly the strongest metal out there so it will wear down faster since there's no dampener. Mythelogy reinforce that center part of their pulleys with steel which makes the pulleys more resilient. Sure it's more heavier than brand abc and brand xyz, but ultimately it's lighter than stock and it's (imho) 'safer' than those non-reinforced pulleys.

Race cars swear by these pulleys and you see them there all the time. But Race cars are rebuilt after each race and worn parts are replaced and changed. Your road cars don't vibrate or work as violently as a race car but you rebuild your engine until after a certain number of kilometers. So you decide what pulley you need.

Hondas btw, I read are quite sensitive to these harmonic vibrations so based on what I've read, Hondas (even race Hondas) all use stock crank pulleys.

In my case however I've killed 3 pulleys and spoilt 6 crank pulley seals in 2 years because my crankshaft and all the internal parts were balanced with the stock crank pulley. After that pulley went to hell, all the other replacements weren't balanced so caused a lot of problems for me. I eventually chose Mythelogy because of the steel reinforced center and so far after 2 years it's been working like a charm for me. My crank oil seal wears out slower too compared to the earlier 2 years. Now that I've converted to a manual, I might want to take my clutch, crank and pulley all for re-balancing.

Last edited:

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
Hondas btw, I read are quite sensitive to these harmonic vibrations so based on what I've read, Hondas (even race Hondas) all use stock crank pulleys.
when i was rebuilding my B20 even my mech doesnt recommend LCPs and say to use the stock pulleys.. actually when i sent my engine for balancing he said that theres no real need coz honda's balancing from factory is top notch.

but then recently he put a car on his dyno with a custom undersized pulley and saw with his own eyes an increase in HP and started recommending it to me.....

long term effects still unknown though hehehhe

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
well...IMHO...

LCP wasn't a performance parts....but supporting part prior to modification...

especially when people building a "race" engine.....where engine were blueprinted,lightening work done on crankshaft, full engine balancing work needed including clutch assembly+crank+crank bearing+conrod assembly+piston assembly+crank pulley....

and thats where LCP/racing lightened flywheel come in handy to reduce weight and improve engine respond....

but LCP for starter mod? my word would be better use the money for real power improvement part such as performance cam+campulley...or just a proper tuning to get the best out of the engine...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Madman : I just had a look at the Fluidampr website and they make a lot of crank pulleys for different Honda models. All of their pulleys have harmonic dampers. Maybe you can consider those? But I hear they are very expensive

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
spend the money on stuff that is more worthwhile...

and to answer the question, japanese 4 cylinder engines are all internally balanced, use any crank pulley you like.

Last edited:

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
Fluidampr is the most expensive of all n the best in the market but what u pay is what u get. The diff between harmonic damper is like (on wheel balancing) n non damper(off wheel balansing), on wheel is just better, smoother...

Race engine is fully balanced to over 10krpm, so no need for damper. but damper is good for absorb knocking vibration to help prevent crank twisting at high rpm. Dyno proven.

Stock engine with non damper will feel the diff n benefit most after installing damper pulley, less vibration, smoother acceleration, even increase is power output, but not much the average butt dyno can feel.