Lancer & Evo expert

bdin

Known Member
Oct 16, 2004
Lancer & Evo advice

Hi all, I'm thinking of changing car/having 2nd car. Evo 5/6 is in the top list. have many questions to ask, from market price, source to buy good one, advatage&disadvantages of lancer conv evo vs ori evo, accesorries availaility between both, problem interfaced, etc etc. expert please reply, really appreciate if could pm me your number so we can chat thru phone, that make things easier.
Thanks.

Last edited:

bdin

Known Member
Oct 16, 2004
hi jun_ek9, thanx for the reply&nice to talk to you.
yes, from what I read, that(rigidity) should be the titlehead since evo is born for rallying, whereas lancer should I say sedan compact family car road driven. however, i'm not going to drive the car(wheteher it will be lancer or evo) offroad. so what other differences betrween them, i.e.:
1) advantage&disadvantage of lancer convert evo vs ori evo
2) accessories availability between both lancer & evo (gauges, steering, seat door panel&trim etc)
3) noise level between both lancer & evo
4) suspension, comfortness on normal road (daily use) between both
5) power&pickup between lancer mx 1.5, compared to wira 1.5
6) ever known/heard lancer convert evo is troublesome after use?
7) for lancer to convert evo, is any chop and weld job on drivetrain shaft (drive shat etc) involved? (since conv to 4wd).
8) for lancer to convert evo, is any floor drilling&welding job involved? (since conv to 4wd).
9) for lancer to convert evo, is any chop&welding involved in order to install the bodykit? i.e.; fender, nose frame panel, etc.
10) is there a huge power/handling/braking differences worth the price difference between both lancer conv evo vs ori evo?
11) is there evo spec that have sunroof and rear wiper as stock?

just anybody; who is expert or familiar or have experience or even knowledge at least from reading or friend's chat, please throw in your opinion. i am absolute zero with mitsubishi.

Bdin
East coast Cefiro,
NISMOCLUB Northern Zone.
http://nismoclub.6.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=374

Last edited:

silver_car

Known Member
Aug 30, 2005
malaysia
walau eh, bro, i think ur questions are too geng for any of us to answerlah....or too much typing to do.

well, one thing tho, u can never compare an ori evo and a lancer convert to evo. the difference i think is very obvious...otherwise, mitsu should have rallied with a convert lancer rite? then there would not even be any evos around....

other than tt, i believe there is a q&a on the subaru sti with an evo forum here in mitsu forum. just hav a look at it. if not, i am sure there are also plenty of websites around supporting evos with pros n cons....

plus have u tested any evos yet? if u are really serious in getting an evo, go test drive one!!! u will at least have a feel of the questions u want answered. open the bonnet, have a feel of it etc.....plus get a evo 8 MR or evo 9 if u can heh heh.

best of luck chap...

Stormvolution 9

3,000 RPM
Jun 18, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
bdin,

Hi there. Am S9 from MLOC - Mitsu Lancer Owners Club! In our club v do hv lots of converted Evos as well as ori. Evos + Lancers!!! What urself asked here actually been asked b4 by other forummers here in zth... Ok... I'll try my best to help u out!

Yup... Definately an ori. Evo do hv better rigidity! But for conversion, as far as i understand... there r few types of interpretation for it! Do u means 100% convertion or 80%/90% convertion? 100% means u really convert everything from an Evo half cut into a Lancer 100% including interior n exterior! Whatever an ori Evo hv, u fully converted into ur Lancer including chasis hardening! Whereas anything less than 100% r different! To make u more understanding do read what our B18C-R once explained in chasis hardening:
(",)
Some info to start on Lancer n evo chasis codes. (nothing similar to Wira..don't worry).

96-99 Lancers chasis codes:
CK2A-SNJA/SRJA - MX normal 1.5/1.3 (2WD FF)
CK2A-SNXM/SRUA - Lancer MX Saloon 1.5 (2WD FF)
CK2A-SRPM/SNPM - Lancer MX touring (2WD FF)

CM2A-SNXM - MX Saloon 1.5 (4WD)
CM5A-SRXM - MX Saloon GSR 1.8turbo (4WD)

96-05 Lancer evolution chasis code:
CN9A - Evolution IV
CP9A - Evolution V,VI (and TME)
CT9A - Evolution VII,VIII,IX

As you are interested in conversion yourself, here some question you should ponder and my answer to it. At least
you know it Before hand than later which is too late once you've decided !

(1) If a lancer convert to evo, is it legal?
If chasis structure is modified, as in cut and reweld, than is illegal. As long as engine mounting point are not modified, over CC conversion can still be accepted. However do take note that to convert fully to 4wd from 2Wd will cost you some difficulty initialy with JPJ unless you manage to source a 4WD chasis lancer.

For conversion wise, I would suggest you source for a 4WD lancer but from experience, is very rare to get CM2A and CM5A(rare) lancers as they are original 4WD hence expensive for a 1.5 saloon and not sought after. For 2WD chasis, they can kacau lar if u convert to 4WD. Ask u to go inspection lar..dismantle lar..bla.bla..bla.
However as we all aware, this is 'boleh land' lar..if u got the correct face printer on that paper, can
always work out something lor. Get my drift.....?

(2) can 1.3/1.5 to 2.0cc pass JPJ inspection?
-------------------------------------
Read my lips ! "Money makes wonders !" However, nowdays because of the change in JPJ top guy..It is VERY and SUPER difficult to approve over cc engine conversion and transplant especialy when it involves conversion from 2WD to 4WD.
One of our fellow forummer in MLOC has recently 'experienced' this difficulty...LoL

(3) How do you convert safely and from 2WD to 4Wd ?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chasis:
This is the most important part assuming you perform a full convert of wiring, engine, gearbox and kits. Harden
your chasis especialy the ENGINE HOLDING bays and the Mounting point hold ! 2nd to that, is the connecting chasis
inside your car and some portion of the fuel tank hold. This is very important as lancer chasis are not made to
withstand the 280ps and the G-force 4G63T evo engine generates ! If this is not possible or you do not intend to drive long or with full power then it's ok. Otherwise you got to be very careful with the way you accelerate and not to push to hard on the car or you'll result in tearing the chasis joint especialy on the engine mounting area in the engine bay. If it's possible, remember to use Argon weld (non rust and very solid) and not those al-cheapo steel weld !

example of a join..

lancer:
-------|-------|-------|-------|

evo:
---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|

so to hardened, you weld:
---o---|---o---|---o---|---o---|

Get my point ?

As for 4WD:
For Lancer CK2A (2WD), you need to cut the rear but for CM2A (4WD), you can cut or not to (by modifying, but less safe) the mentioned.

Conclusion::

Is very troublesome to start the conversion on your own as your car might end up months in a garage and again as I've mentioned earlier, you need to restrenghten your chasis especialy the engine bay if you intend to convert safely from a lancers and evo and all the spray paint jobs. I'm stressing this as I am very concern and particular with a safety of the car handling such power. I've also shared this as an experience as myself and a few of my mechanice frens did experiment by tearing apart a evo full cuts chasis and compared it with a totaly striped out Lancers. The only difference in chasis we observed is the closer and higher number of weld point on a single fold/join compared to lancers (as above), the X bar on the rear portion of the seats cushion (visible from the boot), and the glass material used for the windscreen and windows. Evo's window/screen are lighter and slimmer.

If you are getting a converted evo (and save the job of getting a lancers, a good half-cut and convert thereafter) remember the following values do count into consideration in concluding the ultimate...price.

- Year of car (IMPORTANT on your loan portion)
- Accident (of course lah)
- Conversion approval (Puspakom, JPJ papers, car log stamped)
- Chasis (2WD or 4WD lancers - legality and if you don't mind a 2-4WD, to negotiate price lar) ?
- Conversion type (Rojak 4+5+6 engine parts, or proper full cut convert)
- Interior (You will be suprise how expensive it's interior are and how difficult to source one when needed).
- Safety (Chasis hardening, etc)
- Bodykits (yes..fibres and originals differens a lot in terms of quality, price and more importantly, safety. Again, if you drive like aunty, then forget about the safety part or else, a fibre bonnet is like a spring bomb in front of you waiting to jump on your windescreen as some of our member experienced the hardway!).
- others..wheels, type of rims, after markets parts (evo parts cost bombs especialy ecu n clutches,) condition of cars and parts..use some common sense lor.

My opinion:

Of course, if you have the extra cash..is always a good choice to get an original evo ! For me, if I get an ori, I will be left with no 'extra' for mod...so instead of driving a original evo stock...I got a converted and use the 'extra' for mod coz I can't control my 'itchy hand'...hehe.

If you are interested, do join our MLOC (Mitsu Lancer owners club) TT in KL or read further in the MLOC tread. We have lancers and converted evos as well as ori evo in our TT and I can share with you in more details.

Hope this helps. Happy venturing and welcome in advance to the family of mitsubishi !

(",)
Hope de above info by our B18C-R do help to solve some of ur question! Or feel free to visit this: http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=33200&highlight=mloc

Cheers bdin!!! :rock:

bdin

Known Member
Oct 16, 2004
Hi S9, thank you very much for pointing it over, i felt welcomed to join the community. as well, to B18CR, u have done a good job on the great infos. after reading it, i get brighter picture of the pros and cons.
This MLOC, do you guys have your own portal/website, or even any thread anywhere? I have vistited the MEOC, but yes (my guess) they allow for the oris only, the site seems to be like not ceria gitu.
Else, for so-called MLOC, do u have sort of directory of the members? we have this available in our NISMOCLUB (Nissan Motoring Club) forum, we are devided by country region/zone i.e.; Central(for KL & Selangor members), East (Kelantan, Pahang & Terengganu), South (Johor, N.Sembilan & Melaka), North(Perlis, Kedah, Penang & Perak) and Borneo (Sabah, Sarawak & Labuan). members register their detail (name, contact no, location, ride/model, etc) and this will facilitate members during emergency (as travellling the country) e.g.; car break down or accident etc, finding and buying accessories and spare parts, regional TT etc etc.

Last edited:

Stormvolution 9

3,000 RPM
Jun 18, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
bdin,

Hi there again! U r very welcome as v r trying our best to share what v know to all frens here! :biggrin: In return, v oso do hope frens can share what they know to us!!! Hahaha... So tht v all can make more frens here lar...

As for MLOC, v r not as big n as professional as NISMOClub yet... But v wil 1 day, as all our members r really keen to do it together. At de moment, v do hv abt 40-50 members from KL n JB! Yes, u r rite! MEOC only accept ori Evos, whereas MLOC r different! For us, v do understand tht everyone of us owning a car with our own budget on hand! It is really not easy to own an ori. Evo for everyone! So some do prefer to do convertion from a Lancer!

So in MLOC, v do share our experience in how to do a proper convertion base on de budget on hand by our fellow members n frens! Then v can oso do comparison with de ori. Evos which some of our members own! Besides convertion Evos n ori. Evos, in our club v do h few Lancers as well! Some them do 'dress' up like a ori Evos! Hahaha... This is how everyone enjoy their beloved hobby!

Other than all tht, MLOC do affiliate with some mod shop, tyre shop, car care shop n etc for our members to enjoy special offer! N in de very near future, v gonna meet up with SLC - Singapore Lancer Club! V do held activities together with MEOC too... V r all like good frens n pals! Most of them r very friendly person! Cheers!!! :rock:

Feel free to visit: http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=42180&highlight=mloc

bdin

Known Member
Oct 16, 2004
S9, I will definitely be one of MLOC member should I buy either Lancer conv. Evo or even an ori Evo. It's always good to share knowledge and experience one to another.
Thanks.

Stormvolution 9

3,000 RPM
Jun 18, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
bdin,

Hi fren! Thx for supporting us! In return, I really hope tht MLOC able to share experiences with u n all frens who r interested in Lancers, converted Evos n ori. Evos!!! De main reason joining a car club is able to share n experience, n not jus b a member n doing nothing! Hahaha... Keep in touch! Cheers!!!

B18C-R

1,500 RPM
Mar 27, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
bdin,
Looks like Stormvolution9 has answered all your question. hehe..
Feel free to probe more or PM me if you need more info. Ultimately if you
got the cash and not interested into aftermarket mods (requires tons of hardcash!!), then buy lar original evo.

In actual reality, you have to fork out VERY MUCH more cash to buy a converted laner to evo compare to stock evo because of the high loan for evo. For converted lancer to evo, u can only get loan for lancer market value.

Naturally of course, the end results is a shorter loan for lancer converts compare to longer loan for ori evo because of the car value.

PM me if you need more info. Hope this helps.

bdin

Known Member
Oct 16, 2004
B18C-R,
Thanks for the reply, technical-wise, I'd say S9's reply gave me brief pictures on how's a converted lancer evo differs to the ori evo. then therefor MLOC member selling/ or ody knows any original evo for sales? preferably (in interest order);
1)evo 5 standard.
2)evo 5 light/mild modified.
3)evo 6 standard.
4)evo 6 light/mild modified.

following details will be really of help;
i. year of manucaturer
ii. number of owner (including current)
iii. how long the current owner being using.
iv. financeable value, interest rate & year of repayment.
vi. contact detail.
v. the most important things are; car history and condition. please don't forward me evo selling because of accident or problems. car lover to car lover's matter.

B18C-R

1,500 RPM
Mar 27, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
bdin, sorry lah. We love our lancer & evo so much none are for sale...Hehehe.
will let u know if any for sale among members.

Slivia

1,000 RPM
Jun 22, 2004
Heard from Lanevo6 last time, he have fren in JB selling ori E6. dunno still available or not.
Is about 1 month ago.