kancil upgrading-need some advice

jj.v6

Known Member
Aug 30, 2009
johor baru
currently im having a kancil 850cc manual.planning to upgarde to L2 or L5.need some guide and advice..
there are so many view and comment..about L2 and L5..so i thought its better to forumer who hav experience in this..from wat i hear lL2 is easy mainteance..low cost
L5-powerful but parts are hard to get and complicated..
how bout absorber/suspension??
sifu2 out thr,,pls guide me....

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
currently im having a kancil 850cc manual.planning to upgarde to L2 or L5.need some guide and advice..
there are so many view and comment..about L2 and L5..so i thought its better to forumer who hav experience in this..from wat i hear lL2 is easy mainteance..low cost
L5-powerful but parts are hard to get and complicated..
how bout absorber/suspension??
sifu2 out thr,,pls guide me....
Many prefers L2 since parts similarity wif kancil. And you can upgrade engine capacity by using Kancil 850cc block or Kelisa 1000cc block to make your kancil a speeding monster hehe... thus making L2 the default choice for power hungry kei car lover

dun forget, the bodykit are plug and play wif kancil oso

....but then, L2 is an ageing design.... most common problem i've heard from pl using L2

1. Water temp rises above halfway mark when doing prolong hi speed cruising..and sometimes the engine overheat
  2. the aircon not cold enuff... same issue as kancil even using L5 dashboard + blower + coils
  3. turbo issue... easy to hear L2 got smoke coming in from the turbo...maybe the turbo model are older design
  4. Clutch bearing issue... lotsa my fren having the same problem
  5. Same noisy engine as our own kancil
  6. head easier to leak on high boost rather than L5.... this can be remedy by using metal head gasket... L5 4 cyl have this stock standard....
As per L5, there are 2 different type... one is the 3cylinder but with a twin cam head (easy to say its an L2 wif twin cam head) and the other is the 4cylinder one... so far i've nver heard problem plaguing L2 happened to L5, especially the 4cylinder ones... from experience and from frens.... maybe because its a relatively newer design than L2.... the 4cyl version oso are quieter than L2.....even in exhaust note.... try swapping same exhaust setup from L2 to L5 4cyl.... you'd be suprised how quieter the exhaust note is..

and the aircon are very2 cold hehe

the problem i heard from L5 engines are

1. Sparepart not easy to find.... but since lotsa ppl using it, the parts are fast becoming easy to find.. before this, finding the air filter replacement might cost nearing rm100... nowadays can get as low as rm70 (ori daihatsu)
  2. Bodykits from L5 need to mod before can fit into kancil
Whichever u choose depends on your needs....

1. Want top performance, better go for L2 since this engine most kei car tuner are familiar with... and easy to upgrade engine cc hehe... you can be the king of the traffic light drag
  2. Want a stable, quiet high speed cruising.... go L5... you can cruise constant 130kmh above from KL to Alor Star without any overheat problems.. TESTED!
I'm an owner of L5 JB-JL engine (the 4 cyl version) manual tranny + LSD since Feb 2009 (mileage 12x,xxxkm)... and I've never have any problem yet, even after upping my boost level to 1bar using stock turbo....

my runner cum foremen oso use this engine but wif auto trany wif bigger turbo since 2006.... just before puasa have to change engine....his old L5 engine leaks because boosting 1.5bar :stupid:... now his using the same engine but came from L6 since its have lower mileage on it

as per suspensions..... its relative to the driver...as for me, already satisfied wif OEM L502 springs and abs.... but may ppl sez, get KAYABA New SR abs + RSR 2000 springs....

happy converting! :driver:

jj.v6

Known Member
Aug 30, 2009
johor baru
wow. so many details..thanx bro..
as u mention u from jb..im from jb too.maybe u can xplain me in person..
wat is the cost of all the three engine would be?L2?L5 3 cyl?L5 4 cyilinder??

once again thanx for the info...

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
wow. so many details..thanx bro..
as u mention u from jb..im from jb too.maybe u can xplain me in person..
wat is the cost of all the three engine would be?L2?L5 3 cyl?L5 4 cyilinder??

once again thanx for the info...
haha, sorry to inform you bro.. i'm not from JB... i'm just saying that I'm using L5 4 cyl turbo engine with the code JB-JL.... :rofl:

based on what I know, L2 uses EF-JL turbocharged engine which uses 3cyl engine turbo engine wif SOHC head..

L500 uses EF-RL which uses 3cyl turbocharged engine similar to the L2 engine but wif DOHC head..

L502/L512 uses JB-JL engine which uses 4cyl turbocharged engine similar to the L2 wif DOHC head..

All three are 660cc in capacity

price? if in the klang valley, i'd say

1. L2 manual RM2700 NO BODYPART
  2. L2 Auto RM2500 NO BODYPART
  3. L5 4 SILINDER TWINCAM manual LSD Rm3200 NO BODYPART
  4. L5 4 SILINDER TWINCAM Auto LSD Rm3200 NO BODYPART
...at least it accurate Feb 2009... better search around since hafkat prices tends to fluctuate a lot....

suggest you go to kcarlife.com forum... under trading center -> Engine and Perfromance to search for price.

There got lotsa k-car sifus that can help you, who knows you can find some of them in JB

L5 3cyl price is a mystery to me, but it should not be more expensive that the 4cyl unit..

there are other daihatsu engine that can be transplanted in your kancil wif some mods such as

1. JB-DET (revised head design for the JB-JL engines) that came wif Daihatsu Move (Kenari) L6
  2. The legendary (and a rare find) JC-DET (revised JB-DET block to 713 cc + a bigger turbo) that came from Daihatsu Storia X4

Last edited:

jj.v6

Known Member
Aug 30, 2009
johor baru
hey bro.thanx for ur detailed info..
but as far as i know..modding body is illigal under jpj (correct me if wrong)
and and jpj only allow 20% upgrade from ur old engine capacity rite??
and how bout handling of those cars body modding like mounting??

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
hey bro.thanx for ur detailed info..
but as far as i know..modding body is illigal under jpj (correct me if wrong)
and and jpj only allow 20% upgrade from ur old engine capacity rite??
and how bout handling of those cars body modding like mounting??
what do you mean by modding body? if bodykit, as long as you put other badge such as from a perodua/kancil to a mira//daihatsu... for sure kena tahan one...

As per engine are concerned.. L2 engines are a direct fit to kancil...since our own perodua kancil is a direct copy of Mira L2 chassis... just look at your chassis code... it says L200RS :proud:

To fit in an L5 4 cyl engines, normally they fit in L5 subframe into your kancil since the said engine are not a direct fit but the subframe will fit in a kancil, and easy to put in the engine... since no mounting are modded... it can passed JPJ (I know bcoz i've endorsed oredy without any duit kopi)... as for the subframe, usually it came wif the hafkat....

3cyl version i'm not quite sure..

L6 4cyl engines are the same as L5 4 cyl engine (both are JB-JL engines), just that you need that L5 subframe.... correct me if i'm wrong...

dun worry bro... all of converted kancil turbo can be endorsed to L2/L5 engines no problem.. just make sure you transplant the brake sistem that came wif the hafkat to ensure you pass the brake test..

p/s: joined the forum i've mentioned before? you really need 2nd opinion on this... since i'm oso newbies in this conversion thingie... just that i already take the big step... and loving it :proud:

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
wahhh sifu papagoines....

thats good stuff bro...you basically summarized the whole thing into one easy to understand post.

Good info bro. :top:

jj.v6

Known Member
Aug 30, 2009
johor baru

thats good stuff bro...you basically summarized the whole thing into one easy to understand post.

hey bro if im not mistaken u from jb rite..
do u know how much it will cost to convert kancil in jb ??:hmmmm:

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
hey bro if im not mistaken u from jb rite..
do u know how much it will cost to convert kancil in jb ??:hmmmm:
L2 or L5 ?

you want with body parts or just engine conversion? pm me details.

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor

not sifu yet...just recently swap de engine feb 2009..... just it took me 1++ year to research via forums and bugging the hell of other sifus and pomens :rofl:

...wished that real sifus read my postings and correct me if i'm wrong

L2 or L5 ?

you want with body parts or just engine conversion? pm me details.
I think both.. he should pm you kot :driver:

jj.v6

Known Member
Aug 30, 2009
johor baru
thanx papagoines.we already in touch thru pm..
one of my foreman recommends me to go for APM absorber set..with rate adjustable spring..below 1k-(all 4)
sifu's any better recommendation?wat the spring rate should be??

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
thanx papagoines.we already in touch thru pm..
one of my foreman recommends me to go for APM absorber set..with rate adjustable spring..below 1k-(all 4)
sifu's any better recommendation?wat the spring rate should be??
not sure.... but most otai swear wif RS*R springs + Kayaba New SR abs combo... something like this Absober RSR L2s - Accessories & Parts for sale Johore - Mudah.my

During my NA days, I used the GAB SL Series Semi adj.... trade it in to funds my engine swap... now currently using standard L5 springs and abs...

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
not bad..kayaba sr absorber and rs-r spring..wonder wat the spring rate might be??
will contact the owner asap
shop around bro... that's only an example... maybe can get lower still? :hmmmm:

p/s: met wif a seller selling FGK single outlet version for my car... he sez kayaba sr absorber and rs-r spring are good if 2 max inside.. more than that the ride/handling deteriorates....

dunno la... its his experience :hmmmm:

jj.v6

Known Member
Aug 30, 2009
johor baru
shop around bro... that's only an example... maybe can get lower still? :hmmmm:

p/s: met wif a seller selling FGK single outlet version for my car... he sez kayaba sr absorber and rs-r spring are good if 2 max inside.. more than that the ride/handling deteriorates....

dunno la... its his experience :hmmmm:
i didnt get u.wat u mean by max inside..:stupid:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Like I mentioned before in my previous post, I've been running into many Lamborghinis in recent weeks. Of all the Lambos I've seen, this has to be one of the cleanest examples I've seen. Whilst I'm a big fan of the LP560, and the LP570 Superleggera, I must admit that (visually) I do prefer the LP500. Those...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience