IT or design?..

rubbishking01

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2005
pee jay,
www.rubbishking01.com
:D emm...sonictheory bro..in fact i will suggest u go for design line, cos my self also a designer.. :P i m graduate from product design...u can find my design shoe rack, diskette box and the expandable rack from this following add, www.ornapaper.com but no matter how.. u will be proud when somebody is using ur products or design. i can admitted in design field thats a big coverage which is not just only focusing multimedia design.. in fact, every business u go thru all will related wit design..a.k.a.. advertising, graphic, interior, product, multimedia... etc. beside, wat i can share with u is although there is a lot of design graduate student, but wat the employer looking is ur portfolio....i can tell u la, if u dun wan tie up wit 9-5 based job, u can become as a feelancer..... more flexiblity on time... :ph34r: anyway, u can mail me for advice., i m a consellor for those art n design programe.

hope my message can help u la...

sonictheory

2,000 RPM
Dec 10, 2004
Selangor, Malaysia
Visit site
Originally posted by jinkl+Mar 23 2005, 16:31 --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jinkl @ Mar 23 2005, 16:31 )</div><div class='quotemain'>wah finally now my post..

ok here's my story..
I am just 20 but hope i have the rights to give out some advice..
I am a IT student.
My whole family are all based on Medicine , either Docs Or Pharmacist.
I objected to take over the family business.
I was ignored a few months by my dad and my relatives.
All they though was , i was a fool.
I sat infront of the computer since i was in Form 2, it was rather late actually.
But I did not attend computer classes , but I learned alot of things by myself.
By the time i reached Form 5 , it was already in my head that Its must for me to do IT or Multimedia, I felt in love with the Computer World , from hacking , XXX , photoshop , webdesigning. I really was discovering the world i dint know , Linux , Unix , Network , but i was a very lazy programmer, a very active mate in IRC not for chatting but to access other mates computers.

After Form 5, i went to a local University , took the application form ,
Applied for IT and got it. I was one of the last among my friends to get my application confirmed. How to enter university without money ? Its private Uni ... Money plays... Dad wasnt supporting me anymore , lucky my mom helped just 1750 for my registration. And just after that i applied for government loan , with my father pay , do you think i can get a Loan for my studies ? Of course nop , so i had to fake some stuff to get in. Got my Loan , currently i am studying with my Loan and no support by anyone.

Ops talking bout my story.. what i wanted to say is that..
You do what you want , you do not follow what everyone else is doing,
follow your passion and your interest.

IT is not an easy go in and go out course. I am studying a degree program ,
I am a third year student , a year more to be a degree graduate. I am majoring in Software Engineering. IT is not the whole thing what you think , its not only programming , remember it doesnt stop there .. there are maths , there are networkings , artifical engineerings , probability , algorithms. Its alot of thing you got to learn. As an IT guy , u cant stop where u learned , u have to keep on learning new things to update yourself with the technology.
According to friends employer , they are hunting for IT workers , yah there are TOO many IT workers , but all know shit , do shit and are not up to their requirement. As an example , you learned C++ in uni , but in the working area they want .NET programmers , are you ready to learn up something in a few weeks and go for the job , or are you gonna be like everyone , sitting and waiting for job offers which are requiring low level and low skilled programmers ? of cos la too many people apply for the the job and all say TOO MANY IT workers , its just becos they all go for the same requirement job. One my friends , can say my GURU , he knows nearly all the languages that a company needs , he won the genting programming competition and now where is he ? in Finland to develop the new generation Linux. His previos job opening is still open and still NONE turned for the JOB interview and more to say no qualified guys came through the interview. All i got to say , u want IT u can do , but make sure equip yourself well , must be prepared for new languages and new technologies. Work wise ? u got the skills , u get ur work :)

Design , i was very much into designing till today..
I am a IT student , but then Illustrator , Dreamweaver , Fireworks , Photoshop , 3D Max Studio , Lightwave , Swift 3d , Adobe premier , video editing , audio editing , graphic manipulations , these are things i learned myself. Designing is more to your skills and art. You can teach a guy 1000+ to use photoshop , but can he soup up a picture if he doesnt know what to do .. although he knows how to do them .. its your passion that makes your work in Designing field show up. Not everyone has the skills , some has the skills but they do not discover it till they learn them up. Designing field doesn move fast like the IT field. Just say you use program like lightwave to do 3d stuff. Most to most the next version will have additional features. Unlike programming , the new languages would have new syntax , new formats , new styles , new headers and all.

what i can is .. follow ur heart and brain .. do what you like and do something where you will love your job ok. Its not worth wasting doing something you wouldnt like , because u will basicly suck at it. If u say programming job offers are less , and u want to take Designing job .. but u suck at designing , can get job ? while u like programming and good at it .. nobody wants u ka ? ..
make sure do something u r interested in .. :)
[snapback]834274[/snapback]​
[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-Crashvenom
@Mar 23 2005, 17:37
yes, i prefer design more than IT, although both are my i interest, but i'm worrying about those salary?...how long a designer work u can work as? what about if u getting old, is there someone would like to hire u anymore?...and how much can it get paid per month?...how many job u can accept with in a week and how many job can u done in it?...this sorta of question pops out everytimes i deciding on design...aih...i do feel so, design is also everywhere on the street...thats lot of question to solve...
First of all, my designer cost 5,500.00 per month before the raising it to 5,800.00
to his latest salary. Now it make you think. My cheapest designer cost 2,800.00 per months. So think again..!!

You dont stay as a designer all your life, you started to know people and etc.. invest a new ads agency, or some become LKW lecturer. Still earning pretty good.

Secondly, its a lot of pressure.. when a company gets lotsa projects.. you head will be blown apart. Lots of scolding *if you lack of creativity*. Work late.. dont expect rom dinner with your gf everynite. You might need to accept cup noodle sometimes. But that tell you that your company is getting project. Otherwise it wont benefit you as well.

Designer is a lot on the street, but trust me. To find a good one.. is a lot harder than getting on a O.N.S.

But you really need creativity inside you.. otherwise might wanna consider other job. Another thing.. not an easy thing to get hired by good agency. It's tough but if you get a good one. you'll find interest and fun in it, not to mention the paid you'll be getting. Another important to mention, what im saying here is pro adver agency not PRINTING COMPANY design. Same goes to Fashion Designer, not some QC factory inspector. Sometimes it happen, you think you are on the right field but you are not!

Ever drive on the street and wondering what is those adver board means and etc..?
A good one can really tell you the meaning inside and why is that color is used and etc. Design is not about good drawing. Its to brainstorm something new and meaningful. Even on web design, you need to explain to a clients.. y u use border/why use table? y use this/that? y logo on center/right/left? y here and there. It gonna blown the hell of your mind.

Scorceror bro,
sorry, no more available. Closed!
I did a job posting here before i go jobstreet, but not very successful.
[snapback]834471[/snapback]​
[/quote]

if between IT and design, i guess IT pays more rite?...last time i hear my aunt said that she got a fren doing IT one, she say that he work in a company with the salary atleast 6k per month, then sometimes got client from oversea dunno ask him design wat lah she told me, but i guess probably is programming gua...one time back can earn 10k+++....but design is more to my style i guess...coz i like something that is not dull...while i scare i'm not creative enuff to cope with it..how to know if someone is really creative enuf?

btw, crashvenom, what company is urs ar?...is a design company or a product company, or even computer line company?

ZephyRed

Known Member
Nov 21, 2003
Sunway
Visit site
all jobs has itz prospect, it all depends on yourself to create the opportunity and success.

You should not ask who has ppl done, u should ask yourself what is your strong skills... and what you want in life.

good luck...

my advice, get a degree... then if no job, then help your mom, and if your business not going well, at least u got your degree to fall back.

;)

Originally posted by sonictheory@Mar 23 2005, 03:30
guys, am on the way to choose my direction on which way should i go which is kinda hard for me to make a decision...so hope all of u guys taiko which has already walked thru the route direct me.. so that i will not waste much of my time and money which i found out later i've chosen a wrong way...i know alwiz ppl will say, it's up to ur interest..but nowadays, a degree holder is everywhere at the street...

my father suggest me not to further up my studies but continues my mom's buiness...coz he say, after u got ur diploma or degree, in the end the point of u study also becoz of wanna go out for work, earn money only...i find it got it's point for this... but what if after few years continuing my mom's business, i find it bored, and i dun even have a diploma or wat, what job can i do?...aih feel complicated lah this...

and second question, i'm more into IT, can sit a day without rest infront of computer...got a few skill for design lah, but not really expert la, coz only self teaching nia... so nowadays which one is more having job prospect?... i hear IT (ie programmer) now is a no no for the job prospect rite now, coz everyone is fighting for job now...design a lot, but how much can it earn?...i dunno...maybe few of u guys which in design field know it...

so u guys feel if it worth to spend around 80k for a degree course?...

so guys, give me ur opinion plz...i have no direction now...guide me.. :(
[snapback]832527[/snapback]​

sonictheory

2,000 RPM
Dec 10, 2004
Selangor, Malaysia
Visit site
Originally posted by ZephyRed+Mar 25 2005, 09:30 --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZephyRed @ Mar 25 2005, 09:30 )</div><div class='quotemain'>all jobs has itz prospect, it all depends on yourself to create the opportunity and success.

You should not ask who has ppl done, u should ask yourself what is your strong skills... and what you want in life.

good luck...

my advice, get a degree... then if no job, then help your mom, and if your business not going well, at least u got your degree to fall back.

;)

Originally posted by sonictheory@Mar 23 2005, 03:30
guys, am on the way to choose my direction on which way should i go which is kinda hard for me to make a decision...so hope all of u guys taiko which has already walked thru the route direct me.. so that i will not waste much of my time and money which i found out later i've chosen a wrong way...i know alwiz ppl will say, it's up to ur interest..but nowadays, a degree holder is everywhere at the street...

my father suggest me not to further up my studies but continues my mom's buiness...coz he say, after u got ur diploma or degree, in the end the point of u study also becoz of wanna go out for work, earn money only...i find it got it's point for this... but what if after few years continuing my mom's business, i find it bored, and i dun even have a diploma or wat, what job can i do?...aih feel complicated lah this...

and second question, i'm more into IT, can sit a day without rest infront of computer...got a few skill for design lah, but not really expert la, coz only self teaching nia... so nowadays which one is more having job prospect?... i hear IT (ie programmer) now is a no no for the job prospect rite now, coz everyone is fighting for job now...design a lot, but how much can it earn?...i dunno...maybe few of u guys which in design field know it...

so u guys feel if it worth to spend around 80k for a degree course?...

so guys, give me ur opinion plz...i have no direction now...guide me..  :(
[snapback]832527[/snapback]​
[snapback]839232[/snapback]​
[/b]

so do u think it's worth ar to spend around 80k for a design degree course?..i find it it's too much....aih

<!--QuoteBegin-Crashvenom
@Mar 25 2005, 15:48
btw, crashvenom, what company is urs ar?...is a design company or a product company, or even computer line company?
Ads & multimedia Design.
[snapback]840276[/snapback]​
[/quote]

so average how much project did ur company receive one month?