It’s down the wire for the 2011 Red Bull Rookies search

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

The Red Bull Rookies racing team is on the hunt for a new line-up this year and the energy drink outfit has not only expanded the search to an additional neighbouring country, it has also opened up a new avenue for the search by adding a program that caters to those under 21 years of age.

With their sights set firmly on one of the region’s leading endurance races, the Sepang 1000KM (S1K), the search was narrowed down to the final 10 drivers that will battle it out to be selected as part of the final four drivers of the team for 2011.

“We are searching for talents with steely determination, enduring physicality, strength of mind, and dynamic personality to be part of our multinational team. Those selected will take on the considerable responsibility of working towards, and sharing, the aspirations of their homeland,” said Kenvin Low, the team manager of the Red Bull Rookies.

The search was introduced back in 2007 as the Red Bull Female Driver Search that roped in four females who were than trained to race in the Merdeka Millennium Endurance Race the following year. The search was carried on the next year to look for a new team of drivers that would carry on the challenge.

Though first confined to Malaysia, the search was expanded to Brunei last year that saw two ladies join the Malaysian drivers in participating in the S1K race. For this year, the program achieved another milestone by expanding its borders to Singapore and shortlisting 10 ladies to join the search.

Things were shaken up a bit on the Malaysian side as well this year with a new program introduced, the RB21 Driver Search, that targeted young racing talent under the age of 21 and was opened to both female and male drivers as well.

A nationwide roadshow saw over 1,000 young talents whittled down to just six that were in the running to make it to the team.

All the shortlisted candidates, numbering 21 in total with six Malaysians, 10 Singaporeans and five Bruneians, gathered at Sepang International Circuit for another round of eliminations.

Each of them were given a few laps around the circuit in a Proton Satria Neo Clubsport to try and set the fastest time. The event served as the final assessment for the Malaysian side of the program and saw Siti Shahkirah Shaharul, 17, and Mark Darwin, 21, announced as the Red Bull Rookies for Malaysia, sealing their spot on the team for the 201 S1K race.

The Singaporean and Bruneian drivers were again narrowed down to just six and two respectively. The final drivers from both those countries would be announced after a team-building camp that will take place in Lumut later this month.

“I am extremely happy to know I have been selected as one of the Red Bull Rookies. The programme has successfully established female racers such as Puteri Ayu Jasmin and Carmen Lim in previous years. I really hope I can do well in this race and be like them”, said Siti Shahkirah.

“This is certainly a pleasant surprise to me, as all of the top six candidates for RB21 are very good drivers. I look forward to start my training in preparation of the upcoming race”, added Mark.

“The next coming months will be fascinating for all involved. Applicants will need to demonstrate decisive physical and mental attributes and we need to know if they have what it takes to be a racer. Hopefully the series of tests we have planned will clearly identify the best, the strongest and those that will fit seamlessly into the team,” explained Kenvin.

One of the team members from last year, Carmen Lim, was also present at the event. Having lead the team to an eleventh-placing out of 28 cars in last year’s S1K, she will definitely have a wealth of experience to share with the new members of the team, “I’m thankful to Red Bull as they have provided me the platform and opportunity to compete and represent the team in one of the most anticipated international races. Even though I will not be racing this year, I’m looking forward to personally share my knowledge and experiences with the team.”

Attachments

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
so sad...my age passed the req. limit.... :bawling:

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
Wow! They don't only know how to drive but they are pretty too. Nice!

affiq

Known Member
Sep 6, 2007
hahaha..why lah never do these type of things 5 years back...

ioki

500 RPM
Jul 4, 2005
Puchong
lol......ive told mark to clock better than the girls....or else he shall be buried alive MUAHAHAHAHA.....GD LUCK MARK

ari7474tme

Known Member
Mar 26, 2005
Hmmm... Mr Minivan, how could you be sure that's Ari??? It looks like him, sounds like him but i doubt its him lah :P kekekekekekeekekek!!!

akuma

3,000 RPM
Jul 16, 2005
Kuantan
hmmmm...dat pretty young thang in d middle looks really HAWT!hahahhahaa....

minivan,
woi!u bukan x kenal Mark?y wud he 1na go jump w d GIRLS?he's,*ekheemmm*,remember?ahhahaha...........

ari,
nice twist n turn,eh?hahahahahha

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Over 390,000 virtual laps raced, more than 4,800 virtual racers, 20 finalists, but ultimately there can be only 1 winner of the Castrol EDGE Experience Nurburgring: The Sequel.

<!--more-->After a dramatic final elimination round whereby finalists battled it out in BMWs in the ultimate test of driving skills, one finalists took his place on top of the podium to...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience