Is it wise for me to buy these second hand cars?

Discussion in 'Car Talk' started by jon360x, May 4, 2019.

1. jon360x

jon360x New Member

Hi there ZTH, I'm just curious to know your opinions on getting second hand cars for someone like me who is currently in this kind of lifestyle/situation

-I am currently 26 years old and I've already worked for 5 years. I have gathered some amount of saving for future uses (or in case of emergencies)
    -I currently drive an Inokom Atos 1.1 Auto 2004
    -I rarely drive but I do drive like 3-4 times a week (I only drive the car when I need to or to make sure the car starts and the battery doesnt die). Mostly short distance drives. I don't use the car for daily more like weekend car.
    -I have poured quite some money into fixing this old car but there is still issues with this car and maybe I am getting tired of fixing it and rather I'm just maintaining it at the moment (I am still keeping/driving this car because of sentimental value. This is my dad's car and he has passed away)
    -I have thought about getting a new/used car to have an ease of mind
    -With a set budget (purchase + repairs if needed) I've narrowed down my used car to Corolla SEG,SE (1.6 Blacktop/Silvertop/AE92/AE101) / Wira 1.8 DOHC / Satria Neo 1.6 / KE70 1.6 (this car might be too much for me to handle so I'll leave it as the last thing on my mind)
    -I've read up and looked around the internet about risks of buying used cars and so on
    -If I had to buy a new car I would be comfortable with monthly installment of 300-500 at most
    -looking at the cars I've listed, how are the spare parts availability and its reliability?
    -I am not looking into modifying or tuning the car but rather just enjoying it as it is and maintaining it.

2. 6UE5t

6UE5t Senior Member

How much is actually your budget?

3. gunnerzz

gunnerzz 5 Year | Silver

None of the cars mentioned except the Neo can be financed. Not sure abt credit though.

Get a knowledgeable guy abt the car you want to buy when going to view the car.
    Knowledgeable and wannabe@poyo is not the same.

Buying 2nd hand car is not really a nightmare as uhave plenty of decent choice at lower price.

Your installment budget can also get you a suprima s, a renault fluence ( engine+drivetrain is nissan sylphy ), Iriz, etc....good cars to pick from.

4. jon360x

jon360x New Member

for those cars mentioned about 15k to purchase and repair. But depends on the model Im buying. if its neo then i will definitely get it financed.

5. ixeo

ixeo Senior Member

Iriz 1.6 manual.

Don't buy used old cars. You'll spend time fixing it more than driving it, since you don't daily drive anyway.

6. jon360x

jon360x New Member

First gen Iriz?

7. 6UE5t

6UE5t Senior Member

Wah difficult, too low budget.

8. jon360x

jon360x New Member

Whats a comfortable range then?

9. 6UE5t

6UE5t Senior Member

At least 20-30k.

10. ixeo

ixeo Senior Member

Yes. There was only 1 run of the 1.6L in manual.

11. vr2turbo

vr2turbo 5 Year | Silver
    Helmet Clan Moderator

Don't drive often, buying new car also no point. Getting used car have to pick the right one, have to be cheap and easier to maintain. If not, better off maintain your old car

minibeany likes this.
  12. Izso

Izso Boooooossst
    Helmet Clan Moderator

It sounds like you only drive because you have to not because you want to. So personally I'd just trade in the inokom (which is expensive to maintain), trade it in for a Perodua Axia (cheap car) and pay for that. New car = no repair costs. It's also the cheapest car in the market at the moment that has minimal problems.

I would not buy any of those used cars - your budget is too low to buy, fix, run and maintain those cars. Those have cult followings yes but you'd need to be pretty dedicated to keep it running.

minibeany likes this.
  13. parakey

parakey Senior Member

+1 Iszo hits it spot on.

Try thinking back on how long it took to save those monies. Too easy to fall back into the money pit.

14. vr2turbo

vr2turbo 5 Year | Silver
    Helmet Clan Moderator

But buy new car got monthly installments also.......lol

15. Izso

Izso Boooooossst
    Helmet Clan Moderator

At least that's fixed and can be planned for.

If alternator breaks for one of the old used cars, or the distributor breaks, or lower arm bushes, or creaks and squeeks, or fuel pump failure, it's time and money wasted.

Unless you get a lemon new car - that's a different story

16. vr2turbo

vr2turbo 5 Year | Silver
    Helmet Clan Moderator

Lemon new car still got warranty, only waste time only......lol

Izso likes this.
  17. Mitevo7

Mitevo7 Senior Member

Thats wise haha, Lemon new car. Anyway more secure to go with Japs or Korean new car. With Japs, you get the reliability assurance, with Korean, the price tag packs with tonnes of electronic goodies, reliability is quite fair, as far as i observed my colleagues and friends who drive Korean's.

18. Izso

Izso Boooooossst
    Helmet Clan Moderator

Even Toyota had their bad days... lemons exist everywhere bro

19. Mitevo7

Mitevo7 Senior Member

Yes that's absolutely true, to be fair Toyota is still leading in terms of producing people's cars here in Malaysia. As far as i would chose to stay away from Toyota local models, i can't deny majority of those are very reliable vehicles for average people. Just that i hate some funny drivers like to drive Camry or Altis like some sorts of sports car.

Thanks,
    Ken

20. stupidcar

stupidcar 5 Year | Silver

I have a Persona Elegance and at your price range, I think this is one of the best cars u can buy. But power lose to SEG la of course. Parts aplenty and cheap replacements. Big car, independent suspension at the back

Izso likes this.