IS 250 Recond Spec?

yupio

Jan 7, 2009
hahahaha thanks for the heads up...will go Naza tomorrow to check it out...
no worries, glad to help....

seems there's only 2 of us here, what heppened to the rest lol.

Anyway just to be sure you are aware, you can join in the MY Lexus Club Facebook page. Might be more active. Link Daftar Masuk | Facebook

ed78

Known Member
Jan 5, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
no worries, glad to help....

seems there's only 2 of us here, what heppened to the rest lol.

Anyway just to be sure you are aware, you can join in the MY Lexus Club Facebook page. Might be more active. Link Daftar Masuk | Facebook
i'm here. i'm here ;)

hehehehhe.

most important is that you find what you like. worry about tthe rest later on. GPS - yes it's cool to have it built in. but then again getting lost in the lexus is alwasy more fun ;)

We have quite a number of members in the group which you can check out their rides during TT session. but i think now it's a bad time to organize one as everybody is so busy...........

yupio

Jan 7, 2009
i'm here. i'm here ;)

hehehehhe.

most important is that you find what you like. worry about tthe rest later on. GPS - yes it's cool to have it built in. but then again getting lost in the lexus is alwasy more fun ;)

We have quite a number of members in the group which you can check out their rides during TT session. but i think now it's a bad time to organize one as everybody is so busy...........
Hey Ed, its good to see your reply here...on the TT session well, I guess my chance to participate would be little as I stay up north. Will try to hook up with a few members up north later on after getting my Lexi....

Nonetheless, will still communicate via forum & FB. I m sure I will need all the tips n guide from fellow members here...

iamJimmy

Jul 24, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
i'm here. i'm here ;)

hehehehhe.

true that..but its hard to find a good condition recond car now days...anyway thanks for your reply and hopefully i can find my lexus soon and join u guys for TT in the near future :)

Progressive

Known Member
Dec 11, 2003
Hi Jimmy, here is some info to share with you

1) does it really matter if it's UK or JP spec? is there any different beside of the speed cut?

Is basically the same engine...just running on different fuel grades. 95 vs 98

2) that's few models that comes with navigation monitor (UK & Jp spec) but my understanding is both wont be able to work with malaysia gps map? Is that correct?

Lexus Msia do have the DVD maps for Malaysia...but the sad thing is..they wont sell it to recon car owners. Only Lexus Malaysia distributed car owners are entitled. By the way ,this option of 'luxury package' which includes Navi system and Mark Levinson 13 surround speaker system cost RM23k form Lexus Malaysia.

The only way to resolve this is to hope there are some generous LM owners out there willing to burn a DVD map for us.... we could just pay some fee for it as a deal... maybe we shall meet up with some CT200H owners with ' Luxury Package', since there are not many IS from LM.

Check out the pic below...its a IS with Malaysia Map

3) If that's true will it be better if I purchase the car with a standard console system without navigation & monitor and then only change it to flyaudio myself in malaysia? Anyone tried this so far or is it even possible to do this?

I would recommend to go for the highest spec possible. The one with Touch-Screen Navi at least so you you could watch DVD while driving :).

The Mark Levinson 13 speaker surround system is fantastic. Especially the center speaker system. A must if you are a audiophile , it has a built in Digital Processor in the amp which uses Fibre Optic Cables ( Digital Out ) instead of the conventional RCA cooper cables. It have both Digital Theater System (DTS) and Dolby Surround feature ... trust me..you be amaze when u watch action movies with it. (i.e Transformers) . The surround was so surreal till i had goosebumps while watching the Autobots transforming ...imagine that.. just with 300watts RMS..!

The Front Staging effect is amazing..Listening to jazz instruments just made so real...as tho the band is performing right infront of you.

4) That's one UK model that I really like, the car looks fairly new on exterior and interior, only done 30k mileage, year 2007 model..but when I look at the undercarriage there are all rusty...the salesman say that his workshop will fix it if I buy from them, they said all UK model is like that and ask me not to worry cause his workshop ppl will scrub all the rusty part with sand paper or what? Is he tell the true that it can be done? or is he just plain lying to me? And I'm not a car expert, so I would like to ask what can happen if the rusty part remains?

My UK spec undercarriage had rust too...but its consider mild ...I always thought it was serious....however there some even worst than my condition after a few feedbacks from the mechanics of Vision Auto. My dealer did a undercarriage anti rust paint upon delivery. My exhaust pipes had the worst rust , starting from the Cat. Converter till the entry of Muffler box. I am mystified , as exhaust pipes are normally made of stainless steel...how could it rust ?

My brake rotor was rusted too , nothing major just doesn't look good aesthetically . Will change it together with the pads when it wears out.

My rust was mainly on exhaust pipes, rear diff box and brake disc...but all these was covered with thick black anti rust paint and still staying strong after a year if usage.

Dont worry too much about the rust.. as long rust doesnt appear on the chasis and engine compartment like drive pulleys , alternator and other moving parts you be fine.

I would say 99.999% of the recon cars in Malaysia had thier Odometer tempered with. 30k miles or 50k km for a 5 years. Thats about 10k km usage per year. Highly impossible for UK drivers. Those Brits loves to drive interstate for work and holiday ( I was working in UK for 2 years). Unless its a Jap import , where they rarely drive and take tubes/mrt or even cycle to work.

My IS came with a 25k miles showing at the Odometer... i never believe it... just by judging at the wear on the brake pedals...it definitely had more than 25k miles on it.

5) When I saw few Japan specs, the undercarriage was not as rusty as the UK spec! So should means japan specs better?

Always request for a test drive ...test at various condition if possible driving fast/slow and even/uneven roads and observe the car condition like dashboard rattles ,engine vibration , noise from the suspension/ball joints , clunking from gearbox/rear diff. Dont choose based on exterior or undercarriage ... I been thru more than 5 different test drives and visted about 8 showroom before choosing my 'wife'. After a few test drives , you can immediately know which car is the one.

Be patient... dont rush into..just ignore those words from SA if they say...Lexus IS is in hot demand now la...better grab it quick before the customer walk in yesterday get it...you can pay deposit first la....bla bla bla....dont worry.. the dealer will always be happy to import in more to cater for high market demand. So they could sell more.

One point to note... be extra cautious UK Spec IS with Pearl White colour... mostly had been resprayed from its less popular Ori colour (i.e Light Blue, Beige ). Most Pearl White are in Jpn Spec but not UK Spec. Check for car manufacturer stickers beside the door, normally resprayed cars had them removed or visible respray paint on it.

Enjoy the hunting process - just make it as thou you on a treasure hunt adventure , hunting for the best treasure around town... and hope you could join into the club asap.

Last edited:

iamJimmy

Jul 24, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Hi Jimmy, here is some info to share with you

1) does it really matter if it's UK or JP spec? is there any different beside of the speed cut?

Is basically the same engine...just running on different fuel grades. 95 vs 98

2) that's few models that comes with navigation monitor (UK & Jp spec) but my understanding is both wont be able to work with malaysia gps map? Is that correct?

Lexus Msia do have the DVD maps for Malaysia...but the sad thing is..they wont sell it to recon car owners. Only Lexus Malaysia distributed car owners are entitled. By the way ,this option of 'luxury package' which includes Navi system and Mark Levinson 13 surround speaker system cost RM23k form Lexus Malaysia.

The only way to resolve this is to hope there are some generous LM owners out there willing to burn a DVD map for us.... we could just pay some fee for it as a deal... maybe we shall meet up with some CT200H owners with ' Luxury Package', since there are not many IS from LM.

Check out the pic below...its a IS with Malaysia Map

3) If that's true will it be better if I purchase the car with a standard console system without navigation & monitor and then only change it to flyaudio myself in malaysia? Anyone tried this so far or is it even possible to do this?

I would recommend to go for the highest spec possible. The one with Touch-Screen Navi at least so you you could watch DVD while driving :).

The Mark Levinson 13 speaker surround system is fantastic. Especially the center speaker system. A must if you are a audiophile , it has a built in Digital Processor in the amp which uses Fibre Optic Cables ( Digital Out ) instead of the conventional RCA cooper cables. It have both Digital Theater System (DTS) and Dolby Surround feature ... trust me..you be amaze when u watch action movies with it. (i.e Transformers) . The surround was so surreal till i had goosebumps while watching the Autobots transforming ...imagine that.. just with 300watts RMS..!

The Front Staging effect is amazing..Listening to jazz instruments just made so real...as tho the band is performing right infront of you.

4) That's one UK model that I really like, the car looks fairly new on exterior and interior, only done 30k mileage, year 2007 model..but when I look at the undercarriage there are all rusty...the salesman say that his workshop will fix it if I buy from them, they said all UK model is like that and ask me not to worry cause his workshop ppl will scrub all the rusty part with sand paper or what? Is he tell the true that it can be done? or is he just plain lying to me? And I'm not a car expert, so I would like to ask what can happen if the rusty part remains?

My UK spec undercarriage had rust too...but its consider mild ...I always thought it was serious....however there some even worst than my condition after a few feedbacks from the mechanics of Vision Auto. My dealer did a undercarriage anti rust paint upon delivery. My exhaust pipes had the worst rust , starting from the Cat. Converter till the entry of Muffler box. I am mystified , as exhaust pipes are normally made of stainless steel...how could it rust ?

My brake rotor was rusted too , nothing major just doesn't look good aesthetically . Will change it together with the pads when it wears out.

My rust was mainly on exhaust pipes, rear diff box and brake disc...but all these was covered with thick black anti rust paint and still staying strong after a year if usage.

Dont worry too much about the rust.. as long rust doesnt appear on the chasis and engine compartment like drive pulleys , alternator and other moving parts you be fine.

I would say 99.999% of the recon cars in Malaysia had thier Odometer tempered with. 30k miles or 50k km for a 5 years. Thats about 10k km usage per year. Highly impossible for UK drivers. Those Brits loves to drive interstate for work and holiday ( I was working in UK for 2 years). Unless its a Jap import , where they rarely drive and take tubes/mrt or even cycle to work.

My IS came with a 25k miles showing at the Odometer... i never believe it... just by judging at the wear on the brake pedals...it definitely had more than 25k miles on it.

5) When I saw few Japan specs, the undercarriage was not as rusty as the UK spec! So should means japan specs better?

Always request for a test drive ...test at various condition if possible driving fast/slow and even/uneven roads and observe the car condition like dashboard rattles ,engine vibration , noise from the suspension/ball joints , clunking from gearbox/rear diff. Dont choose based on exterior or undercarriage ... I been thru more than 5 different test drives and visted about 8 showroom before choosing my 'wife'. After a few test drives , you can immediately know which car is the one.

Be patient... dont rush into..just ignore those words from SA if they say...Lexus IS is in hot demand now la...better grab it quick before the customer walk in yesterday get it...you can pay deposit first la....bla bla bla....dont worry.. the dealer will always be happy to import in more to cater for high market demand. So they could sell more.

One point to note... be extra cautious UK Spec IS with Pearl White colour... mostly had been resprayed from its less popular Ori colour (i.e Light Blue, Beige ). Most Pearl White are in Jpn Spec but not UK Spec. Check for car manufacturer stickers beside the door, normally resprayed cars had them removed or visible respray paint on it.

Enjoy the hunting process - just make it as thou you on a treasure hunt adventure , hunting for the best treasure around town... and hope you could join into the club asap.
thank you so much for your advice...it has just enlighten me..a lot hahahah... btw i got couple of question if you dont mind helping out:

1) when you say go for the highest spec? what does the highest spec for UK spec comes with? is it only Mark Levinson sound system or that's plenty more features? sunroof, power side mirror? sorry i'm not very familiar with the car

2) DVD player, I saw couple of post earlier on the forum..some lexus owner have difficulty playing dvd on their car... is it all depends on luck when you choosing the car? or certain specs dvd cannot be read in our region?

3) how do i check whether the rust went all the way the chasis and engine compartment like drive pulleys , alternator and other moving parts? do i need to bring a mechanic along to go see the car or its just easy to identified by looking at the engine compartment? sorry really noob in cars

4)last but not least, i tried an lexus the other day and this is what i realize... when i sit inside the car with the hood close the car seem really quiet but when i open up the hood and stand in front of the car then engine sounds very loud..is this normal or lexus engine originally was quiet even though the hood is open...please advice.

Thank you in advance for your advice :)

Progressive

Known Member
Dec 11, 2003
1) when you say go for the highest spec? what does the highest spec for UK spec comes with? is it only Mark Levinson sound system or that's plenty more features? sunroof, power side mirror? sorry i'm not very familiar with the car

For UK spec , there are two spec. IS 250 SE and IS 250 SE-L . You can find this tag on the driver B-pillar ( when you open the drivers door ).

Mark Levinson c/w Navi System is optional items for both spec. So even basic spec can come with it.

IS 250 SE - Basic Spec
1) Leather Ventilated Seat - A/C or Heater. ( No Ventilated seat if is with Alcantara Seat)

IS 250 SE-L - Luxury Spec
It has extra thingy like
1) AFS ( Auto Headlight Leveling ) - only function when you drive above 60km/h
2) HID
3) Head lamp Washer
4) Rear windscreen curtain - Auto
5) Memory Seat
6) Illuminated door sill with 'Lexus Logo'
7) Sonar sensor front & back
8) Auto cruise with Anti Front Collision System. ( hard to find, only met 1 member with this on a SE-L spec)
9) Sunroof ( hard to find too )

My advise is to get a basic with ML system is good enuf... unless you like those extra goodies with SE-L package.

2) DVD player, I saw couple of post earlier on the forum..some lexus owner have difficulty playing dvd on their car... is it all depends on luck when you choosing the car? or certain specs dvd cannot be read in our region?

Yeah....some Jpn cant read DVD like ED78 system... i am not too sure why...But for Mark Levinson (ML) spec should be able. Its stated DVD Audio/Video on the console. So its playable. Bring a DVD along to test... pirated pasar malam DVD is fine.

You can only watch it with your handbrake engaged and not while you are driving. ( safety feature ) But there is a way to Bypass it , by removing the head unit and splicing some wires and reconnect. A great DIY. Then u can watch it while driving. I did mine within 15 mins.... and i enjoyed driving with while watching DVD concert or MTV. But you got to be cautious as it will distract you from focusing on the roads.

A new Flyaudio ( Made in China) unit cost about RM5k for it. Its better use that 5k to opt for a ML spec. Which generally cost about 8 -10k more compared to the basic spec.

3) how do i check whether the rust went all the way the chasis and engine compartment like drive pulleys , alternator and other moving parts? do i need to bring a mechanic along to go see the car or its just easy to identified by looking at the engine compartment? sorry really noob in cars

Yes...You can always/should bring along your trusted mechanic.... remember to remove all the plastic covers covering the engine....its not hard... so you can inspect everything and not having any nasty surprises later on.

Before signing the papers for my car. I arranged the dealer to sent the car to Wing Hin -Balakong Toyota Service Center for a full inspection (i,e pluged into thier PC for error code checking, body panels , mountings , suspension and undercarriage).

You can always arrange that.... if the SA resist....then just walk away...he is hiding something about the car.

ED78 even had his IS 250 DYNOED before paying it....:adore::adore:...

4)last but not least, i tried an lexus the other day and this is what i realize... when i sit inside the car with the hood close the car seem really quiet but when i open up the hood and stand in front of the car then engine sounds very loud..is this normal or lexus engine originally was quiet even though the hood is open...please advice.

Its normal....the hood have a very good and thick insulator... thats what Lexus is known for.
The 4GR-FSE engine runs on Direct Injection System....what you heard was the Injection System...sound like a mini machine gun. Dont worry every IS and Mark X will have this sound. The sound is caused by the fuel been highly pressurized and injected into the combustion chamber.

iamJimmy

Jul 24, 2012
Kuala Lumpur

For UK spec , there are two spec. IS 250 SE and IS 250 SE-L . You can find this tag on the driver B-pillar ( when you open the drivers door ).

Mark Levinson c/w Navi System is optional items for both spec. So even basic spec can come with it.

IS 250 SE - Basic Spec
1) Leather Ventilated Seat - A/C or Heater. ( No Ventilated seat if is with Alcantara Seat)

IS 250 SE-L - Luxury Spec
It has extra thingy like
1) AFS ( Auto Headlight Leveling ) - only function when you drive above 60km/h
2) HID
3) Head lamp Washer
4) Rear windscreen curtain - Auto
5) Memory Seat
6) Illuminated door sill with 'Lexus Logo'
7) Sonar sensor front & back
8) Auto cruise with Anti Front Collision System. ( hard to find, only met 1 member with this on a SE-L spec)
9) Sunroof ( hard to find too )

My advise is to get a basic with ML system is good enuf... unless you like those extra goodies with SE-L package.

Yeah....some Jpn cant read DVD like ED78 system... i am not too sure why...But for Mark Levinson (ML) spec should be able. Its stated DVD Audio/Video on the console. So its playable. Bring a DVD along to test... pirated pasar malam DVD is fine.

You can only watch it with your handbrake engaged and not while you are driving. ( safety feature ) But there is a way to Bypass it , by removing the head unit and splicing some wires and reconnect. A great DIY. Then u can watch it while driving. I did mine within 15 mins.... and i enjoyed driving with while watching DVD concert or MTV. But you got to be cautious as it will distract you from focusing on the roads.

A new Flyaudio ( Made in China) unit cost about RM5k for it. Its better use that 5k to opt for a ML spec. Which generally cost about 8 -10k more compared to the basic spec.

Yes...You can always/should bring along your trusted mechanic.... remember to remove all the plastic covers covering the engine....its not hard... so you can inspect everything and not having any nasty surprises later on.

Before signing the papers for my car. I arranged the dealer to sent the car to Wing Hin -Balakong Toyota Service Center for a full inspection (i,e pluged into thier PC for error code checking, body panels , mountings , suspension and undercarriage).

You can always arrange that.... if the SA resist....then just walk away...he is hiding something about the car.

ED78 even had his IS 250 DYNOED before paying it....:adore::adore:...

Its normal....the hood have a very good and thick insulator... thats what Lexus is known for.
The 4GR-FSE engine runs on Direct Injection System....what you heard was the Injection System...sound like a mini machine gun. Dont worry every IS and Mark X will have this sound. The sound is caused by the fuel been highly pressurized and injected into the combustion chamber.

thanks bro for all your time... i will be doing some hunting today...hope to hit at least 5 dealers by today and test as many as possible. but i doubt any of those will allow me to arrange the car to send to Wing Hin or other workshop to check...like Zaibar, they only allow me to drive around their compound area..maybe you can share with me some of your trusted dealer so I can go check it out :)

iamJimmy

Jul 24, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Went to zaibar today, and was served by a salesman named Mizi as recommended by some lexus owner in the previous threads... He doesn't seems helpful to me... don't really allow nego on the price and I wanted to test drive the car but he say only can test in his showroom compound area which is very small can't even drive above 50kmph..then can't even bring mechanic to check the car...guess I'll have to keep searching for it :(

ed78

Known Member
Jan 5, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Went to zaibar today, and was served by a salesman named Mizi as recommended by some lexus owner in the previous threads... He doesn't seems helpful to me... don't really allow nego on the price and I wanted to test drive the car but he say only can test in his showroom compound area which is very small can't even drive above 50kmph..then can't even bring mechanic to check the car...guess I'll have to keep searching for it :(
if you are in no rush, then take your time to survey bro............. many car shops out there, quite sad that the sales guys don't layan you betul.......... but i'm sure you will find your dream car...........

iamJimmy

Jul 24, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
if you are in no rush, then take your time to survey bro............. many car shops out there, quite sad that the sales guys don't layan you betul.......... but i'm sure you will find your dream car...........
yea bro, guess have to keep searching high and low...and actually I'm planning to change before september that's why I'm rushing..my current car road tax expire in early september.

i guess if i can't find a good lexus, i might have to change my choice of cars :(

yupio

Jan 7, 2009
yea bro, guess have to keep searching high and low...and actually I'm planning to change before september that's why I'm rushing..my current car road tax expire in early september.

i guess if i can't find a good lexus, i might have to change my choice of cars :(
Did u check out Naza bro?

satrianeo-x

Jul 18, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Hey FYI, places like NAZA and simliar will not let u test drive on open road. Something to do with AP. See only when u do a booking on a car(means buy liao) will they go pay for the said Ap blablabla... But yes u can test in the compound area. Yea its lame, but better than nothing.

At NAZA along the federal highway, there is a long stretch which u can drag, so do go on weekend early so the compound area is not packed. SO no, you won't be able to touge kaw2 hahahahah.

Goodluck on your search.

ed78

Known Member
Jan 5, 2011
Kuala Lumpur

Bro,

So many listing for IS 250 on mudah.com. some up to 10 cars in stock.

Mar 15, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi All...
Greetings...
First of all thank you all... as I was reading up on most of your post on the IS250 before I dcd to get my own. All done and over with and I'm getting my ride tomorrow morning... kinda excited... hihihi. Am getting a '08 UK spec from Vision motors.
Hope to join you all soon for a TT session.

Thanks again guys... all your post really are very helpful to fellow chaps like me whom are new to the Lexus world. :D
Andrenalin rush in me keepin me awake... ;) but i guess I need to force myself to hit the sack now. Good night guys...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i'm curious.. how to give a waja turbo?
OTHER THAN transplanting engines.
so far i haven't seen any turbo kit that fits a waja..

any way to give a waja turbo WITHOUT transplant?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience