Installed AT cooler for A33

12savefuel

Known Member
Dec 10, 2008
I installed an AT cooler for my A33 just like I did for my A32. I bypassed the original cooler in the radiator so there is less heat load on the radiator and so that there is less change of the AT oil going pass 90deg. Most of all why I do this is because there will never be a chance that the AT oil cooler in the radiator to spring a leak and destroy the trans or fill the whole engine cooling system and block with sludge mixed from radiator fluid and trans oil. Where it actually happened to a friend of mine and that wasn't a pretty sight. Have had this setup running for almost 300,000km on my A32 VQ30DE with 40,000km-50,000km AT oil changes and still running the same auto trans and the trans still feels healthy.

Since I just bought an A33 VQ20DE (130,000km) so I decided to do this for it as well.

doraemon98

Known Member
Feb 3, 2010
Penang
Hi bro...

Thanks for sharing... how much is that little radiator cost? And installations cost?

12savefuel

Known Member
Dec 10, 2008
Did it in seremban for RM250 including parts and labour.

12savefuel

Known Member
Dec 10, 2008
do you think year 2000 cefiro VQ20 has AT cooler installed?
All a/t cars has an a/t cooler but its a liquid to liquid cooler. Meaning a/t fluid (liquid) being cooled by radiator fluid (liquid) thus liquid to liquid cooler. In Malaysia its more of an a/t heater as radiator fluid is usually 90c. You will need this if Malaysia has winter which goes below 20c to -10c. But as you know we don't.

So I advise to disconnect the original a/t cooler which goes into the bottom radiator casing, plug the holes and install a air to fluid cooler a.k.a oil cooler.

Any car with CVT even more important as the oil is friction modified and the oil is used as a coolant, and a form of friction liquid between the steel belt and pulley to reduce belt slippage. Very highly stress the oil. Thus you can see a beautiful cvt oil cooler on all proton cvt mounted in front of the a/c condenser.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
A/T cooler is recommended if there is a lot of start/stop situation like the infamous KL jam.....coupled with the hi temp during the day....

Hi temp of G/box deteriorate the A/T fluid fast....deterioration reduce the capability of the fluid to protect to g/box...and likely making g/box kong faster....

VQ20DE

Oct 10, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
thank you very much for info 12savefuel & ken yeang, i will check my cefiro's AT cooler installation type.

btw do you think my wife's iswara auto needs an external type AT cooler as well?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
thank you very much for info 12savefuel & ken yeang, i will check my cefiro's AT cooler installation type.

btw do you think my wife's iswara auto needs an external type AT cooler as well?

iswara/saga didnt have the in/out atf pipe to radiator....

but newer gen like wira/satria/gen2/persona only have

IketaniX

Known Member
Dec 8, 2008
JB
is your ATF cooler an universal China made 1 or?
think of doing to my recently bought A33 as well...

12savefuel

Known Member
Dec 10, 2008
is your ATF cooler an universal China made 1 or?
think of doing to my recently bought A33 as well...
Yes its universal. The fittings are from air cond shop as you can buy straight, bent 90 deg or 45 deg. China made, i got no idea, but most probably judging by the price and no brand. But works well so no complaints.:biggrin:

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Good stuff! I have a similar ATF cooler too but taken from half cut which is way thicker than Hayden. By the way 40,000km ATF change interval is normal for Cefiro?

12savefuel

Known Member
Dec 10, 2008
Good stuff! I have a similar ATF cooler too but taken from half cut which is way thicker than Hayden. By the way 40,000km ATF change interval is normal for Cefiro?
Yah 40,000km to max 60,000km. 40,000km if mineral based and hydrocracked max 60,000km. I use SK DIII hydrocracked (synthetic characteristics but comes from mineral base oil) and change about 50,000km

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Thickness of the A/T cooler isn't of the one important factor. Even though Hayden cooler is thinner, it's more efficient because of the patented fin design. The fins have more surface, thus dissipate heat better. This is what I see physically from both types of coolers

Also, a thin cooler means a smaller package, so it could be installed in tight spaces, as in many car limited space engine compartment.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hye ppl,

I have been having this urge to fix roll cage on my satria.

My doubt is, is it illegal and would the authrority pinalize me for this.

Would my insurance be still valid just incase of a accident.

Please share your thought's and exp.

Thanks and happy motoring.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience