IK20 or IK22

t-la

1,000 RPM
May 10, 2005
secret place
Just curious, anyone tried IK24 for 20 valve?
i did...its gooooood...ngam for u, for track ma......have to slowly drive or warm up bout 1 hour for the best working temp. straight away start then straight away hantam then sucks la ..lembik

caleb_5375

1,000 RPM
Jul 21, 2007
the heat range is to determine how fast ur spark plug can release it's heat out b4 a preigniton or so called self ignite happen. if u use IK20 on a high compression engine surely it will ignite b4 the spark plug spark coz the heat at the plug is too hot until it ignite the air fuel mixture by itself. using a colder plug on an engine will give u longer time to heat up the plug to its working tempurature and at the same time ur engine will feel SEMPUT when it's cold. after heat up at working tempurature then everything will be ok. i use IK22 on my BT like time..morning start all okie..dun worry....currently using IK27 for my car...but is ok for my engine setup....

B16B Corolla

500 RPM
Jul 13, 2009
so it means that IK20 heat range is lower than IK24,27...blabla...and when starts in the morning need some time compare to higher heat range one right?if use IK22 than will no need warm up too long time and engine won't lembik when in cold condition. can i say so?

caleb_5375

1,000 RPM
Jul 21, 2007
oh no bro ...the higher the number goes the colder plug it is ...IK20 plug cna't tahan heat as much as IK22. IK22 is more colder plug then IK20 so IK22 need more time to heat up to normal operating temperature.

B16B Corolla

500 RPM
Jul 13, 2009
bro caleb, so if in the cold morning I need 2 use more time to warm up my engine if I'm using IK22?
What is the advantages using IK22 compare to IK20? U said that IK20 cannot tahan more heat compare to IK22 right? So can u pls give me some example related to performance on this statement? Sorry if i asking noob question. I saw some forum a guy sold off his IK22 cuz he claimed that it's too cold? I m using BT anyway. TQ

caleb_5375

1,000 RPM
Jul 21, 2007
bro caleb, so if in the cold morning I need 2 use more time to warm up my engine if I'm using IK22?
What is the advantages using IK22 compare to IK20? U said that IK20 cannot tahan more heat compare to IK22 right? So can u pls give me some example related to performance on this statement? Sorry if i asking noob question. I saw some forum a guy sold off his IK22 cuz he claimed that it's too cold? I m using BT anyway. TQ
the advantage on using an IK22 then IK20 is that it won't make ur engine knocking.for example IK20 can tahan a temperature of 30c if above 30c then the sparkplug will overheated and spark the air fuel. the spark is not cause by electricity flowing from the distributor.IK22 can tahan a temperature of 30c until 40c for example.

---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 AM ----------

Engine knocking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

is better u do some research on ENGINE KNOCKING,PRE IGNITION, DETONATION..all those article will explain better...

1JZtezza

Known Member
Sep 26, 2008
I suggest go NGK or Denso website.TRD plugs(denso) are about I26 to I30 for high revving and heavily modded engines.If u fluff the start u gotta remove plugs and wipe dry before you can restart.The higher the range the 'colder' the plug which means it can dissipate heat faster from the combustion chamber.NGK claims one number higher is equal to about 100 degrees C difference(less) in chamber temp keeping in mind optimum is about 700-800 degrees C(in chamber)

G1Racing

Over 10,000 RPM!
Apr 14, 2010
Penang
www.g1racing.com.my

Attachments

meg_omen

Known Member
Oct 28, 2004
Home - Klang; O
Visit site
20V stock engine BT/SVT = IK20 or BKR6EIS
20V modded engine BT/SVT = IK22 or BKR7EIS
heavily modded engine can use higher like IK24...

G1Racing

Over 10,000 RPM!
Apr 14, 2010
Penang
www.g1racing.com.my
Bro i said IK20L Suitable for B16B not toyota 20V black top nor Silver top!
thanks

pcmoddingmy

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
Guys, I'm currently using IK20 on stock BT but higher compression abit with TRD 0.8mm metal gasket. Previously with stock gasket no knocking whatsoever, but with metal gasket experiencing some knocking. Perhaps it would be better to install IK22 instead? What you guys suggest?

ahaw

Known Member
Apr 1, 2007
so that mean compression ratio does effect with igniter heat range? sifu pls teach, nice subject to learn la...

meg_omen

Known Member
Oct 28, 2004
Home - Klang; O
Visit site
heat will increase during compression, so if increase compression the amount of heat generated in the combustion chamber increases thus increase the chances of detonation. this heat will cause pre-ignition(actual term) where spark produce not by the plug itself.
few options to play:-
- plug heat range, up 1 point... still depending on the ratio increase
- add more fuel... can cool down the chamber abit
- fuel ron... if normally using ron95 then try ron97 otherwise need to add octane booster
- increase IG timing... to compensate the actual spark against spark created by the compression process

roughly that explain it... good luck...:proud:

coz all this can be google up... if you're into technical, browse the forum...
http://www.gofastnews.com/

pcmoddingmy

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
- increase IG timing... to compensate the actual spark against spark created by the compression process
Seriously bro... increasing IG timing will cause more knocking, wouldn't it? Cause previously i was running higher than 10°, knocking is quite noticeable, but after retard to exactly 10°, its lesser a bit, but still got knocking. Means i had to use emanage to trim the timings in areas where it knocked. So basically it defeats the purpose of me having the emanage to retard timing as I should be increasing the timing with emanage for NA setup.

So seeing that I don't have adjustable FPR and using IK20 on higher compression, I think I will give a try with IK22 and see how it goes. Will update on the findings later.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi every sifu,

i want to ask, is there a difference between wira 1.5GL and 1.5GLi front suspension?

i own a 1.5GL where my bro own a 1.5GLi

i saw my bro front is higher than mine...
for example, for his car, i can put 4 fingers in the spacing between the tyre to the chassis. where mine only can fit 3 fingers.

but i notice some 1.5GL front, some same as mine, some the high rate is like 1.5GLi

what they change ? spring ? or absorber ? or add on rubber (but i dont prefer to add on rubber)...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience