ICE peeps, need your help.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Since you guys tend to draw large power from your car batteries, I wonder what battery brand you use and how long they last? I used to stick to one brand, but last two years, they died even before the one year is up, and another just exactly a month after the warranty ends. I'm taking it as a sign to change brands.

Any experience or favourite battery brand and model you're using on your car/mpv/suv/etc?

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Since you guys tend to draw large power from your car batteries, I wonder what battery brand you use and how long they last? I used to stick to one brand, but last two years, they died even before the one year is up, and another just exactly a month after the warranty ends. I'm taking it as a sign to change brands.

Any experience or favourite battery brand and model you're using on your car/mpv/suv/etc?
Some of my relatives & friends say they use..:listen:
YOKOHAMA batteries
Said to be able to last 4 years or more....
Slightly more expensive & difficult to find a retailer, but really outlast others...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

Shiro taiko, what sort of ICE do you have? 5 subwoofers with 5 x 1000w monoblocks? If yes you need more than just one battery. If you have just 1 sub and run everything else with 3 amps like me, my Panasonic MF NS70 battery has been serving me well for almost 2 years now. But I have grounding and a VS to support the car. Alternator is stock 70A and I don't use capacitors for the ICE. Panasonic MF is pretty good imho. But if you're hardcore and need way more power than me (maybe you have a JL W7 and 3 badass amps) then you might want to consider adding a 1uf cap to each amp (and get a good one, like a Mundorf cap) and consider a Optima Yellow Top (or Red Top) deep cycle battery. Good stuff that one.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Thanks for your suggestions. So Yokohama and Panasonic eh? And yokohama lasts 4 years? hard to believe that one, except maybe if they're the lead acid types. They're cheaper than what I'm using now, actually so I'm curious if they are the miracle cheap MF batteries they're supposed to be. But I'll definitely consider it if there's a lot of people vouching for it.

Izso, I have nothing so extreme in terms of ICE, and I'm not even an ICE enthusiast but it seems my maintainance free batteries just don't last past a year anymore. They used to last about a year and a half to two, but these past couple of years, only a year. Considering they cost about RM200 or so each, that makes it worth a RM400+ battery for two years for worry free use. I assume that since you guys have large power draws and more likely to reach high levels of DOD (depth of discharge), what batteries you use that doesn't require a yearly swap.

Oh forgot to mention that the major power draw on my car is the starter, not my ICE, I crank my engine 20 times without running the alternator for a long time to recharge, sure can feel battery getting weak already. :O But I'm also running a bigger amperage alternator already. Some where in the region of 100amps.

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Thanks for your suggestions. So Yokohama and Panasonic eh? And yokohama lasts 4 years? hard to believe that one, except maybe if they're the lead acid types. They're cheaper than what I'm using now, actually so I'm curious if they are the miracle cheap MF batteries they're supposed to be. But I'll definitely consider it if there's a lot of people vouching for it.

Izso, I have nothing so extreme in terms of ICE, and I'm not even an ICE enthusiast but it seems my maintainance free batteries just don't last past a year anymore. They used to last about a year and a half to two, but these past couple of years, only a year. Considering they cost about RM200 or so each, that makes it worth a RM400+ battery for two years for worry free use. I assume that since you guys have large power draws and more likely to reach high levels of DOD (depth of discharge), what batteries you use that doesn't require a yearly swap.

Oh forgot to mention that the major power draw on my car is the starter, not my ICE, I crank my engine 20 times without running the alternator for a long time to recharge, sure can feel battery getting weak already. :O But I'm also running a bigger amperage alternator already. Some where in the region of 100amps.
I don't understand the 20 times without running the alternator. Why does it take so long to fireup the pistons? That's definitely the biggest draw and probably the main cause for the dying batteries. Either that or your alternator isn't recharging properly.

Small scale ICE draws 12v voltage and some current anytime it's powered up. I don't think it's enough to dry out your battery and cause it to fail earlier. It sounds like the alternator isn't doing its job and the batteries are suffering because of it.

Have you tried recharging those batteries of yours? What level of power is it after recharging? It's kinda like rechargeable eneloop batteries for the camera. If you use them make sure you flat them out before recharging and if you recharge, make sure it's full before taking them out. Batteries will "remember" over time a certain breakoff point if you constantly unplug them at say 80% full and that reduces the lifespan or something of the battery. I'm tempted to think car batteries is the same.

Aug 8, 2012
UK
The most important thing is to do TB3 (the big three) ie: run bigger powercable (as well as stock)
from your alternator to the battery
from your battery to the body
from the engine to the body
It is best to use 0gauge but first time I did it I used good quality 4gauge my voltage jumped from 14.48 to 15.1 and I could boom without it dropping much.
I am using the Optima yellow top battery which I have had around 5 years I think.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hey guys,
My Bro's car got broken in at ttdi area, around lorong datuk Sulaiman 8 area. Headunit , amp, gps and sunglasses got stolen. Please be on a lookout :) thanks
Headunit is Panasonic cq rd300w and mohawk amp I think. Will upload pics later.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience