Hyundai Coupe RD aircon issue

gumball

Known Member
Feb 8, 2006
where u guys think i should fix it then....been wonderin and looking around...most of them just asked me to fill gas lah..u get wut i mean right?

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
I think you can go to the workshop thats doing a complete job for Black Samurai. He even posted photo of it. You can refer to it. Its a waste of money if you just top up the gas knowing it it leaking.

Daniel Lee

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2005
KL
BlackSamurai said:
eastbay, the maroon couple you saw might be Daniel Lee. Danial, is that you where you attend D1?

eastbay, i had the same issue last time, refill the gas and the gas gone very fast.
Gumball, yours last for a year, I'm not sure which area it touch, but usually if cooling coil leakage, the gas gone very fast (at least won't last for a year :biggrin: )

I get my fix near temple Park. Kind of Ulu place, intro by Yu.

Gumball, if you are lucky, might be the leakage at the Valve
http://www.vtec.ath.cx/albums/album84/ROY_20050531_016.thumb.jpg http://www.vtec.ath.cx/albums/album84/ROY_20050531_018.thumb.jpg that's the cheapest part.
Sorry for late respond!!! The decription that eastbay gave about the maroon Coupe almost suit my Coupe except that my Coupe is manual and not auto!!!
That is not my coupe!!!

Daniel Lee

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2005
KL
Actually I also encounter the same problem as you guys did!!!
The sponge flying out from the air-cond vents and also the air is freaking hot!!! Moreover, sometimes the air smells like rotten rats smells!!!
I get this problem from the first day I got my car in Oct 2004 and I only manage to remedy it in Dec 2005!!! Suffer for 14 HOT MONTHS!!!

I changed my air-cond compressor and all the problem is gone!!!
No more smell, no more sponge, no more hot air!!!
There are 3 types of compressor!!!

1) Used compressor from chop-shop!!! No warranty and it is priced between RM700-RM800!!!

2) Re-conditioned compressor!!! 1-year warranty(if i'm not mistaken) and it is priced between RM500-RM600

3) Original new compressor from Hyundai Korea!!! NO WARRANTY (manufacturer policy) and it is priced at a whopping RM1500!!!

I go for the (3) compressor!!!
No choice because the first one will break down anytime also!!! No point changing!!!
The second one is the most ideal one! But at that time, the whole Peninsular don't have stock for it, so I have to go for the third one!!!
Till now, it din give me any problem!!!
Lovin it everyday!!!:regular_smile:

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Aircon: My maintenance daily

This is originally posted at Hyundai Coupe old MSN forum.
The link to the pic is outdated, and some of you facing the similar problem, so I decide to re-post it at here.

Original posted at 26/6/2006

===============================================
Aircon cooling coil replacement

As per what i posted earlier, my aircon is totally out before I reach the workshop at Rawang.

Part 1
Diagnostic day
Reach there,before i says anything,the aircon shifu come and greet me, "Your Coupe got aircon problem right? Park your car inside and let me have a check " ... The power of Yu..

Park my car inside the workshop, damn spotted that my number plate have a crack, really bad luck even before the diagnose start

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Start raining when the diagnose start (*&%$#^&*, really bad luck), see the shifu plug in the device, maybe checking the pressure inside my aircon system (dare not to disturb sifu, man)

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]The Shifu suspect that cooling coil might have leak, ask me shall he proceed to check for it? Because that day is Sunday, can't order part, so the max he can do it to checking and place the order tomorrow. Which means that I either leave the car there or I might need to take the car riding around the town without aircon system for day (or days). But since I was there, it is raining there and I can't feel the aircon anymore, so ask the shifu to proceed for checking,

As per told by others (maybe Yu or Ace), the glove compartment and entire Central Console need to take out be before taking out the cooling coil, and there is the result of what I have in my back of the car, really 'sakit hati' seeing that.

Shifu ripping off my central console in order to take out the cooling coil.. Ouch...
Need to remove the silencer as well.

after more than 2 hours of hard work, the cooling coil has been taken out, on the right top of the photo, the black plastic is the cooling coil holder.
the one laying on the car mat is my dirty and old cooling coil. All the things in the white plastic container is those small clips and screws

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]disassembly the cooling coil for testing. I pray hard that my cooling coil is ok.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]HCC logo on top of my cooling coil, genuine Hyundai aircon Part :)

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]The other component laying apart after dissemble.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]the shifu clean my cooling coil with a special chemical (damn, it make it looks like new) and put the cooling coil into the basin full of water, dup.... can see little bubble coming out from my cooling coil. Confirm Cooling Coil KONG!.

So ask the shifu to check out the price of Cooling coil for me. And I head back to KL. Damn a kancil turtle turn at Rawang (might be due to the heavy rain just now), and the other accident happen at the same road, pit at Shell petrol station and refuel. :) I was stuck in the jam without aircon, guys can you imagine how painful is it?
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]

[/FONT]

Last edited:

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Part 1.5
Situation of my Coupe after taking out the things

Is this the fan/motor for the aircon? it stay next to the cooling coil, behind glove compartment. the small hole on the right is connected to the engine bay.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Total rip off, another Ouch ...

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Part 2
Cooling coil replacement

Shifu call me up, tell me that he can't find the quatation for genuine Hyundai Coupe cooling coil, but he found the replacement. and I agree with the price.

At tuesday (ya, after 2 days riding at town without aircon... I almost get toasted and get kill in my BLACK Coupe.), cannot tahan already, ular out during office hour and go to the workshop at Rawang.

Damn, you guys will hate me, and I hate myself also,I forgot to bring the bloody hell camera with me!!! (Later I realise that I have the company (ex-company to be exact) phone O2 mini with me, but hell, I lost those photos when I leave the company.

basically he just installed the new "compatible" cooling coil for me, put back what ever stuff pull out. At the same time I also told him that I can smell outside

Of couse now the aircon is cooler than before. But few of my plastic holder "kaki" in the central console broke, so my central console give vibration and make noise at low speed. Thinking of replacing the that plastic console. (Actually thinking of painting the entire console and dashboard to silver, hehe).

Notice the major different between my old (but original) cooling coil and the new one is that the first blow of air for the new cooling coil is always hot (No matter I start the car at 10am or 6am in the morning), but my old cooling coil won't, usually the first blow of the aircon in the morning (at 6am) is cool. The rest is the same. :)
[/FONT]

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Part 3
My original Parts

Took lot's of pictures when I reach home.
Those are the original parts taken out from my coupe.

Notice the word "Elantra" at the box? that the box which comes with my new aircon parts, I think I'm using Elantra cooling coil now

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]1st part, Expansion Valve, FRONT. Original Brand FIDIKOKI.
PS: Changing the Expansion valve is not necessery, but I take the shifu's advice to change it, just don't want to go through those painful experience again.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]1st part, Expansion Valve, SIDE

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]1st part, Expansion Valve, BACK , writing faded

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Expansion Valve, [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Bottom

[/FONT]1st Part, Expansion Valve, STANDING
The interface with lot's of hole the one connect with cooling coil if I'm not mistaken
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Word HFC printed on top.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]now I changed it to DENSO, the packing of the DENSO Expansion Valve. Remember the product code, ya :)

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Expansion Valve, Closer. MAKE IN JAPAN. Which means my Coupe is mix already, Korea + Japan

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]2nd Part, Receiver Drier,
PS: Again , changing this is not necessary, my Receiver Drier is still functioning, but I decide to change it.
HCC logo on top as well.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Entire block, this fella sitting at the back of the driver side head lamp. In order to replace this unit, you need to take out the our BM honk, the headlamp set.[/FONT]

What do those writing means? My guess is my Receiver drier is manufacturer at 14th August, 1997.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]2nd Part, Receiver Driyer, TOP

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]3rd Part, the main charactor , the cooling coil.
The connector at the left connect to the Expansion valve directly.
It look so clean and new after the Shifu wash it..

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]3rd Part, the cooling coil. SIDE
Looks like building for me. :)
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]3rd Part, the cooling coil.
This is where the bloody leaking happen... The leak that cause me all the trouble.

[/FONT]

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Entire set I changed

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]- END OF REPORT - [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif] [/FONT]​

TCSIM

1,000 RPM
Apr 20, 2007
Wah.. massive! didn't know it's such a big project to change cooling coil for our cars.. I dont smell gasoline but sometimes I do smell the asap from outside.. My air-cond is still cold though (perhaps I drive alone most of the time).. Is it difficult to turn off the external fresh air duct permanently? Our Malaysia air not fresh la

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Wah.. massive! didn't know it's such a big project to change cooling coil for our cars.. I dont smell gasoline but sometimes I do smell the asap from outside.. My air-cond is still cold though (perhaps I drive alone most of the time).. Is it difficult to turn off the external fresh air duct permanently? Our Malaysia air not fresh la
SIM, that out-door smell problem gone after i replace the sponge

TCSIM

1,000 RPM
Apr 20, 2007
Yup.. understand what you mean.. but is it a big project just to change one sponge?

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Yes, it is. You need to go through the same process listed above, because he sponge is at the air con intake.

TCSIM

1,000 RPM
Apr 20, 2007
OK. Then I will prepare some masks in my car.. Wear them when I smell sth funny!

wwshyue

Known Member
Apr 9, 2006
Thanks BS for the detailed report again.....

my cooling coil (old and new) looks exactly the same like yours...just that it does not have the "HCC" mark on it.....i think denso may have this compatible cooling coil for coupe....now still monitoring the aircond system see got any problem or not (i hope not)....not so worry since the Sifu said got 1 year warranty but jus feel very tired keep going workshop.....

All this while my air cond is working perfectly....no gasoline smell and cool even on a hot sunny day....sometimes rainy day and nite when i travel long distance.....i cannot tahan the cool and have to open abit the windows....(i was cursing the aircond too cool that time, now this is my "pou ying")hahahaha

gumball

Known Member
Feb 8, 2006
my turn to kena :(

workshop charging me RM815....

he said compressor also kena.... now quoting me.. *pain*

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Before I start - I'd like to highlight that what I'm going to discuss here today is considered basic NA engine modifications. I'm not going to go into the little hardcore mods, just only the most obvious and the most basic. If you start asking about the Power Linz or the Singh Groove, that means you're knowledgeable and shouldn't be reading this.

I'll talk about forced induction later since that...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience