Hyundai Coupe - not enuff grunt

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
Just wondering what kind of bolt-ons ZTH members have been doing to their coupes to get some meaningful grunt from this "chick car" (quoting Blackhowling, of course).

I have been driving one of these as a spare car while my regular ride is being worked on. I think it's the same model as the one shown in ZTH member's Black Samurai's avatar (see below) :-

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/avatars/blacksamurai.gif?dateline=1187123392

Only thing is, it's an auto and even with the 'fun' button set to 'Power' the grunt from this thing is about as substantial as the soup bolied from the shadow of a pigeon that has been half-starved to death.......just to put it mildly.

Other than going all the way and swapping in a different engine to turn it into something respectable (just like what Cow did), what kind of alternatives in terms of bolt-ons to the current engine ? I had some tuners look at it and initial opinion is there wasn't really much space in the bay for a supercharger aside from some extensive custom work, and even then it looks problematic to even fit everything in. Perhaps a small turbo, but gee ...how small ? and why would the effort of just getting miniscule little grunt from a small turbo ? Not attractive to me.

So let me know your views about bolt-ons for this car.......be honest....doen't matter whther the views are good or bad, just as long as its factual. I might even scrap the idea of even doing anything with it...depends on whether its worthwhile.

Plnty of funny stories since I have driven this car as a temp vehcile. Everyone wants to chase a two-door coupe since it looks very sporty. I have been cucuk by all sorts since and I never had this kind of attention when driving a Proton. So much for low-profile. I got chased by some chick in a Mini Cooper (the new one by BMW), countless encounters with college kids in Iswaras with a 'P' plates, a bloody Volvo 950, Vios, EG9, Accords, Civics, Satrias (Neos, GTi, Standard, MIVEC), Wiras, Wira-lutions, Cerfiros...you name it, everyone wants to have a piece of this bucket of crap.

I couldn't get mine to go beyond 190kph on the highway. It was already bogging down at 185kph.

I catch up and pass most jokers on the corners under braking and during corner exit, but other than that they tend to walk away from the car on the straights. Korean cars...all looks, no power.

mgbk

Known Member
Feb 15, 2009
Hahha bro i know what u mean. But the thing is mine can only go 120kph. lol Pathetic huh. I got problem with the rear lower arm bushing. Trying to get it fix but no one can find it for me. *Sigh* Hyundai is heavy car that why its pretty slow compared to the rest. The engine is pretty good just the body is heavy. Maybe carbon fiber body? lol

Cow

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
KL
Visit site
Wow I just noticed this topic.

My 2cents worth; it is unfortunate that there are very little to none aftermarket performance parts for the hyundai coupe. Even if there is, you'd have to purchase online. Buying online could be expensive and sometimes the parts that you get aren't always perfect. Like an exhaust header with very rough welds for example.

If you search around the internet, you'd notice that alot of americans throw in a turbokit.
The usual combination i see is a 2.0 BETA with the 1.8L cams and some custom-made turbokit.

To fabricate a turbokit here IMO is expensive. There is alot of work to be done, such as custom exhaust headers, probably a new thinner radiator, exhaust plumbing, intake/intercooler pipes, fuel pump, custom oil pan for turbo oil return, some sort of management, bigger brakes..etc.

Notice that the above does not include any engine internals. I've seen turbo-ed BETAs with stock internals. You can keep the internals stock, but you wouldn't be able to boost very high.

If you want to go the NA way, you can probably look into getting the engine port & polished, maybe get a set of aggressive cams online, custom some form of Cold Air Intake, get an aftermarket exhaust header, change to a manual gearbox, and install some form of management (S-AFC would be a good start I believe?)

These things would probably give you a little bit more grunt :driver:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Recently heard about this product..anyone got install before?? really got increasement in perfomance meh?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience