How to know Rx8

benyeap

Known Member
Oct 30, 2006
Ok guys. Let's say I maintain well the 8 as per adviced like use mineral oil only, topping up mineral every week or so whenever the level dropped, service on time at 5-6k km, rev up to red line every 2 days or so & etc. So roughly how long I can last before I need to rebuild or overhaul?? Please enlighten

K2 stanley

Known Member
Mar 24, 2009
[/COLOR]
Ok guys. Let's say I maintain well the 8 as per adviced like use mineral oil only, topping up mineral every week or so whenever the level dropped, service on time at 5-6k km, rev up to red line every 2 days or so & etc. So roughly how long I can last before I need to rebuild or overhaul?? Please enlighten
Its all depends boy, last time my brother car until 70k still not problem, but some 20k also hve problem. For the 8, mineral oil is not enough better use Greddy Rotatry oil.

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

oic ...never ask ah choy b4 how much it cost for renesis...didnt expect it to be tat much
so wat are the main usual stuff tat goes wrong for rx8 rotary?
u can see it by doing compression test.

learning86

Known Member
Oct 9, 2004
ohh i don understand what is compression test ... check Youtube..is like the Defi meter ...
sound like engine cannot start huhh ?? ??

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
ohh i don understand what is compression test ... check Youtube..is like the Defi meter ...
sound like engine cannot start huhh ?? ??
Yeah its not meant to start, they take out the spark plug, put the testplug in (The meter) and check the compression/pressure whether its normal or leaking...

If it starts finish lah :P

benyeap

Known Member
Oct 30, 2006
Wah, if maintain the car well also if unlucky at 20k+ km also need to overhaul/rebuild??? Most unreg recon come in also 20k-30k+ km already. Really love the 8 because 4 doors suit my new small family but the horror stories really is killing the car fast.

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Wah, if maintain the car well also if unlucky at 20k+ km also need to overhaul/rebuild??? Most unreg recon come in also 20k-30k+ km already. Really love the 8 because 4 doors suit my new small family but the horror stories really is killing the car fast.
Ah thats if YOU maintained it, what if the previous owner thrashed the crap out of it? :biggrin:

benyeap

Known Member
Oct 30, 2006
That's why la if unlucky can become like this even if only 20k+ km?? Found some cheap 2003s but really freaking fear the damn word 'rebuild'.

Now is either thinking to get a cheap 2003 & get over it, or wait for a suitable unreg 2006 once & for all.

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Well... im sure there are signs if the engines working loose or not, go for a test drive and look around rx8 sites for hints for tips on buying 2nd hand! Only owners themselves know the best haha.

- D i a b l o -

500 RPM
Sep 27, 2005
Shah Alam
bosstrain.blogspot.com
yeah go for a test drive,bring a reputable mechanic or a good friend from the RX8 club,buy effie a steak lunch and persuade him to come along : D

compression test!

honestly if 20-30k km rebuild horror story i think right now it must have been popping out here in RE Club by now wouldnt it.as far as i can remember i've never seen/read such stories

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Haha if its 20k the last owner must have been revving it everyday bouncing it off the fev limiter :rofl:

benyeap

Known Member
Oct 30, 2006
I thought revving to redline on the 8 is part of the drill?

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

I know got compression test, not many owners or dealers willing to let us prospective buyers to do it.

effie

Known Member
Aug 17, 2004
Shah Alam
www.rx8clubmalaysia.com
with a Rotary engine, you have to redline it often to prevent "carbon lock". This will prolong engine life. Most "blown" rotary engines are the result of "babying" the engine too much.

In the Rx8 case..... you shud redline it at least once everytime you drive it.

6MT = 9,000rpms
4AT = 7,800rpms

Yong_5290

3,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Klang
hotmail.com
so nice lah if can sit 1 rx8 member fella n rev till 9k rpm....the sound of the rotary sure groin tingling...hehehehe

the old FC i just max 7k rpm it once a week...do i have 2 rev more often?

learning86

Known Member
Oct 9, 2004
but not many dealer allow to test the COmpression test .. and some also you need pay the deposit only can TeSt Drive .. ....
sound like rx8 cannot babying too much hehehe

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys,

What happens if one is caught driving without a front numberplate in front of the car? Will the police just issue a saman or will the consequence be much worst than just a saman? Such as towing the car back to balai or JPJ?

The last topic was discussed on lowyat more than 13 years ago. Someone mentioned that the police only fine them RM70 according to the law back then. I was wondering has anything changed so far?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience