how to know 1.6 or 2.0 blk..

civic 0.5 BAR

Known Member
Jun 3, 2006
all honda sifu...
as mention how to know b16a already change to b20 blk...( see by eye )
any pic to share????thks....

freeman1314

Known Member
Oct 7, 2008
Not very sure but I think maybe you can look at the engine block code, look at the block at the exhaust manifold side and look at the left side near the flywheel, should be able the see code written B16A or B20B, or something like that.

civic 0.5 BAR

Known Member
Jun 3, 2006
Not very sure but I think maybe you can look at the engine block code, look at the block at the exhaust manifold side and look at the left side near the flywheel, should be able the see code written B16A or B20B, or something like that.
now a days punch number very high technology liao....
somebody told b20 blk slightly higher than b16...but how high is it.....

E-Tech

Jun 28, 2005
Johor
all honda sifu...
as mention how to know b16a already change to b20 blk...( see by eye )
any pic to share????thks....
Bro... you jpj or puspakom kah?
Btw, do not always believe what you see "punch" on the block (B16A, B16B,B18C.... or B20B)..

From external.....
1. B20 block is taller....higher than gearbox level (same in da cas B16B/B18C vs B16A)
2. B20 block does not have those "support ribs" at front side (oil stick side)
3. You will also see a self modified oil hose on the back area of the block... to support the requirement of :biggrin:cylinder head of a DOHC Vtec B16a head....

You still need picture? TQ
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_B_engine

Last edited:

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
very good info e-tech!

i didnt notice the "support ribs" either till now...

i know of the extra oil hose and the block height. but block height is difficult to see, especially under the untrained eyes (like me)

E-Tech

Jun 28, 2005
Johor
very good info e-tech!

i didnt notice the "support ribs" either till now...

i know of the extra oil hose and the block height. but block height is difficult to see, especially under the untrained eyes (like me)

Those ribs... are important function in the b16a/a and 18c...it strenghtens the block for higher
revs....
B20b not suppose to rev so high since originally from CRV.. so no additional ribs..

Those with these rib-ess block and additional oil hose but have B16A/B18C punched on it, do take care cos those jpj and puspakom guys are getting more knowledgable... dun wan to get "sitar"...

I have seen a ek 2 door balck with B16A block but punched number is B18C... da buyer was cheated.
Anyway, he has sold the car 1.5 year back....Wondering who drives it now....:banghead:

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
awwww... that sucks.... the dude who got cheated i mean... sad for him.

i guess if u dont know ur facts, i'd advise u to stay away from buying modified 2nd hand cars. u'll nv know what u got, until u break it and ur mech tells u the truth... hahha..

again, thanks for the info bro.

really appreciate it.

yes JPJ are also car modders u know! :biggrin:

D-IV

Known Member
Mar 11, 2006
I didn't know the ribs play a part in the strengthening process :dancing2:. I thought the bottom sides of all the sleeves are pressed onto the block (one cast design). The RS ratio mainly determines its rev-ability rather than the ribs :rolleyes:

E-Tech

Jun 28, 2005
Johor
I didn't know the ribs play a part in the strengthening process :dancing2:. I thought the bottom sides of all the sleeves are pressed onto the block (one cast design). The RS ratio mainly determines its rev-ability rather than the ribs :rolleyes:
Yes that's true...
But newbies will not understand those details...

Conrod to stroke ratio is one of the most important for hi reving...
Good example are in the B16B....

Higher R/S ratio, crank will turn more "lighter" because of smaller angle...
On the dyno you will see very good torque....
The EF we did for SDB have this specs... P/s did quite well last night in Sepang,
came in 2nd place.....
Tq:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

yes it is!
Peeettttttttt..............
Try again... you hv 30secs to answer again....:biggrin:

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
really? its b20?

but i thought b20 got no ribs, the pic u posted... got some...

oh my.. i think im getting blind