how to improve the performance of 4G13 stock engine

firezy

Aug 28, 2004
ok...

really learn from otai here... repair it... run it... then baru cerita lain... dont fly before know how to crawl... kekeke...

donCityZ

2,000 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
Very sad lor. 1.3 want to mod engine. really... dont waste money and time.
keep more cash and get better base car/engine.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Very sad lor. 1.3 want to mod engine. really... dont waste money and time.
keep more cash and get better base car/engine.
Well, not really wasting time or money if you know where your limits are. If you are chasing unrealistic performance figures, then yes, you are wasting your time and money. But some people just want a bit of mod to make the car a bit better to drive. Besides, mod parts for 4G13 engine are readily available, so, a lot of things can be purchased and plugged on immediately. Don't really have to custom make any parts.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Well, not really wasting time or money if you know where your limits are. If you are chasing unrealistic performance figures, then yes, you are wasting your time and money. But some people just want a bit of mod to make the car a bit better to drive. Besides, mod parts for 4G13 engine are readily available, so, a lot of things can be purchased and plugged on immediately. Don't really have to custom make any parts.
True also, depends on what you want from the mod, but if want power, but get those smoother drive instead then forget it.....hahhahhaha

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
When first started out modding, I did the same thing. Filters lah, Exhaust etc., but not until I had VR transplant, the rest modding for power can consider nothing....lol
You jumped into another category/level already with VR. Your previous NA engines are not performance engines and you jumped straight into forced induction performance engine.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
You jumped into another category/level already with VR. Your previous NA engines are not performance engines and you jumped straight into forced induction performance engine.
That is why saying if want to mod power, take different route. I started modding my 3 door 1st. Gen Accord, then the 4 door 1.8 Accord. That one even modded to Weber Carb, but since SM4 was too expensive switch to Mitsu and then swap in VR engine.....lol

Reactions: ^pomen_GTR^

firezy

Aug 28, 2004
Dear otai2 sekalian,

Updates since 20th June 2018 started the topic.

Gotten the poor fella end July, driving on off, 1st I drove, I rammed it to 140kph, it can't move much thereafter but for him to get 140kph, is not a bad job. Then whenever I drive, always try to keep it above 100kph, and noticed rubber burnt smell into cabin, not sure which part that causing it. Btw, it does (makan minyak hitam) even after top overhaul 2 years back and using 20w/50. Shall continue to monitor how bad is the situation, does it warrant to do full overhaul, engine balancing, etc… if do so, will get port and polish as well.

In between, lurking for 4g91 or 4g15 half cut, etc… but sees the wiring, scare the poor fella will burn down by improper installation and lots of thing need to come up with (uk spec tank that come with fuel pump, etc) so I rather stick to existing, anyway it is 2nd car to drive around. While lurking, saw shag gti and putra... dem tempted... but i only have 1 ass, no need so many driver seats...

Fixed up the front leaking from windscreen at Dr Cermin at RM200. Took off the windscreen, re-glued. So far it seem fix up the leaking. Did not see any leaking during rain at the moment, I hope it keep it this way.

No air con, change whole compressor, etc about 1+ years ago. This air con thing, I really believe on luck, and I never gotten lucky on it before WITH ANY AIRCON SHOPS. When compressor kick, the rpm 1.5-2k, and best of all only cold at night and early morning. On hot day, no cold air and blowing asap… says no gas… guess what? Been topping up 3x since changed the air con system. I gotten new mekanik to get it check out, hopefully it helps.

Send in for repair after driving it for 10-12 days. That’s also not every day driving…

1. Steering rack changed, to min the steering wheel freeplay, dem annoying especially driving above 100kph, is like floating. Said is china mali, rm170 for it.
  2. Full engine mountings, rm280 (parang betul)
  3. Valve cover gasket as seen leaking from there, rm55
  4. Drive shaft rubber/bush both sides, rm100
  5. Wiper/radiator water tank, rm60, mud/green moss accumulated from 22 years ago. And best part, radiator changed 1+ years ago, all the dirty water flowing in and again have to clean and flush it. Replaced with Giant Reverse Osmosis water + coolant. And this job, rm68, really stupid pomen earlier, changed radiator but never flush the water tank, the ex driver as well (my bro)
  6. Brake master pump… braking really soft… I guess air trapped inside… as 22 years never flush. But the pump also seem leaking, 1 shot I got it changed to Nissan double layer servo+ master pump. Rm260 for this part… is really bontot gatal of me changing it… but always safety 1st as excuse to suck it up. Oh yah, rm160 for flushing and servicing brake system.... Looking fwd to see the result.
  7. Gearbox oil, rm160

And some additional parts that done… hope to keep the bill below rm2k, as of now rm1.7k and counting.

Rear bonnet aquarium effect, to counter this, open the hole at bottom to release water. Nothing much can be done.

Went to survey exhaust… 4-2-1 extractor, 2 inch piping, center bullet, rear muffler (silent type) hmmm… whole system rm1.1k… still undecided… OEM exhaust been there since 22 years… karat… but not sure 2 inch will it be too big? Or stick to 1.5 oem sizing?

After all these… need to rework on the interior… another pening… and money…

Hahahaha… kira kira… shud have just F it off and save money. But is a fun car actually… bcos when tekan tak jalan, I just suck it up and give way…

my monster has 293whp… that one dem… always go cucuk/smoke people… so driving islala is really honing my patience. Just pray it can tahan my abuses…

cheers..

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Dear otai2 sekalian,

Updates since 20th June 2018 started the topic.

Gotten the poor fella end July, driving on off, 1st I drove, I rammed it to 140kph, it can't move much thereafter but for him to get 140kph, is not a bad job. Then whenever I drive, always try to keep it above 100kph, and noticed rubber burnt smell into cabin, not sure which part that causing it. Btw, it does (makan minyak hitam) even after top overhaul 2 years back and using 20w/50. Shall continue to monitor how bad is the situation, does it warrant to do full overhaul, engine balancing, etc… if do so, will get port and polish as well.

In between, lurking for 4g91 or 4g15 half cut, etc… but sees the wiring, scare the poor fella will burn down by improper installation and lots of thing need to come up with (uk spec tank that come with fuel pump, etc) so I rather stick to existing, anyway it is 2nd car to drive around. While lurking, saw shag gti and putra... dem tempted... but i only have 1 ass, no need so many driver seats...

Fixed up the front leaking from windscreen at Dr Cermin at RM200. Took off the windscreen, re-glued. So far it seem fix up the leaking. Did not see any leaking during rain at the moment, I hope it keep it this way.

No air con, change whole compressor, etc about 1+ years ago. This air con thing, I really believe on luck, and I never gotten lucky on it before WITH ANY AIRCON SHOPS. When compressor kick, the rpm 1.5-2k, and best of all only cold at night and early morning. On hot day, no cold air and blowing asap… says no gas… guess what? Been topping up 3x since changed the air con system. I gotten new mekanik to get it check out, hopefully it helps.

Send in for repair after driving it for 10-12 days. That’s also not every day driving…

1. Steering rack changed, to min the steering wheel freeplay, dem annoying especially driving above 100kph, is like floating. Said is china mali, rm170 for it.
  2. Full engine mountings, rm280 (parang betul)
  3. Valve cover gasket as seen leaking from there, rm55
  4. Drive shaft rubber/bush both sides, rm100
  5. Wiper/radiator water tank, rm60, mud/green moss accumulated from 22 years ago. And best part, radiator changed 1+ years ago, all the dirty water flowing in and again have to clean and flush it. Replaced with Giant Reverse Osmosis water + coolant. And this job, rm68, really stupid pomen earlier, changed radiator but never flush the water tank, the ex driver as well (my bro)
  6. Brake master pump… braking really soft… I guess air trapped inside… as 22 years never flush. But the pump also seem leaking, 1 shot I got it changed to Nissan double layer servo+ master pump. Rm260 for this part… is really bontot gatal of me changing it… but always safety 1st as excuse to suck it up. Oh yah, rm160 for flushing and servicing brake system.... Looking fwd to see the result.
  7. Gearbox oil, rm160

And some additional parts that done… hope to keep the bill below rm2k, as of now rm1.7k and counting.

Rear bonnet aquarium effect, to counter this, open the hole at bottom to release water. Nothing much can be done.

Went to survey exhaust… 4-2-1 extractor, 2 inch piping, center bullet, rear muffler (silent type) hmmm… whole system rm1.1k… still undecided… OEM exhaust been there since 22 years… karat… but not sure 2 inch will it be too big? Or stick to 1.5 oem sizing?

After all these… need to rework on the interior… another pening… and money…

Hahahaha… kira kira… shud have just F it off and save money. But is a fun car actually… bcos when tekan tak jalan, I just suck it up and give way…

my monster has 293whp… that one dem… always go cucuk/smoke people… so driving islala is really honing my patience. Just pray it can tahan my abuses…

cheers..
Seems like you done a lot of work to it. What monster are you driving with 293whp? Turbocharged?

140kph is about there. Mine goes until 150kph and it seems like it doesn't go much after that.

Many of the things that you have fixed are things that I haven't done yet to my Iswara like water leaking, steering rack problem, radiator flush. But these parts for my car seems fine so, I don't have to do anything for those yet. But since you already highlighted these problems, I'll take some caution on these parts.

Gearbox oil for RM160 seems expensive, what oil are you using? I am using 2 bottles of Toyota gearbox oil and it is about RM80 or lesser.

Whole exhaust system for 1.1k seems a bit pricey from what I know. 2 inch piping is too big, better use something like 1.7 inch. My Wira is using 1.7 inch piping. When I did my exhaust system, the extractor cost me RM265, mid bullet/resonator joined together with 1.7 inch piping is RM220. If you said 1.1k for Iswara full exhaust system, that is a bit pricey already. I don't think replica or muffler without brand can cost you RM500 and above. And I suppose you are doing it all at one go, so labour charges should count at one go. I did my extractor and piping separately in different shop.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Toyota Gear oil now at RM40 for 1L? Wah! those days when I was using around RM17 only......lol

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Toyota Gear oil now at RM40 for 1L? Wah! those days when I was using around RM17 only......lol
I kinda forgot the price. But now that you mention it, I think it is not that expensive. I forgot already but I will let you know again when I go for gearbox oil change soon for Saga.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Just received my car last friday and noticed the 'check engine light' never lights up just before starting the engine. If i'm not mistaken, the light should be turned on automatically for a few seconds before/during starting the engine?:confused: Anybody have any experience about this? Thanks in advance.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience