How to improve braking performance (semi-DIY)

punk

Known Member
Aug 6, 2011
Negeri Sembilan
@@...duno much mechs...prefer DIY since its nt that difficult...utube oso got many videos...thn i just ask some comments from sifu ma...plus i dun rly trust those mechs...imp steel brake line long enuf ma to reach the 11" honda brakes on myvi?
How many car jack / stand u have??
If u have one then good luck on ur DIY...:rofl:

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

It takes two person to manually bleed/flush the brake properly.
How bout clutch bleeding procedure ??
Need advise because that day i bleed out the old fluid on old van, more air going in and end up call mechanic ..:hmmmm:

I use the same procedure as brake bleeding except the pedal which i use on clutch pedal..

compaq

1,000 RPM
Jul 14, 2004
petaling jaya
Nice write-up.

Brake fluid must be change annually,or after a hard track day,cos when the fluid cools down,it will absorb some moisture to the system that may bring the fluid operating temp.lower
I had a friend who change his Clutch and Brake fluid yearly and never before encounter brake seal leak after driving the car for more than 10years

samurai76

Feb 8, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
izso san, all sifus & members of the house,

got few questions...

1) which areas I should apply/spray the 'brake parts cleaner'..is it over the caliper, disc rotor, pads, inside piston, etc ???

2) once I sprayed the brake parts cleaners towards the brake components, should I wipe the dust, rusty or leave it ???

3) is there any alternatives to push out the piston instead of using air gun ??

4) what is the proper ways of cleaning the brake components ?? is it starts by cleaning with tap water, then wipe with cloth, then apply brake parts cleaner, then spray them (optional) and end with installing all the parts back to the origin place..

hope you guys can guide & assist me...DIY rocks...:rock:

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
izso san, all sifus & members of the house,

got few questions...

1) which areas I should apply/spray the 'brake parts cleaner'..is it over the caliper, disc rotor, pads, inside piston, etc ???

2) once I sprayed the brake parts cleaners, should I wipe the dust, rusty or leave it ???

3) is there any alternatives to push out the piston instead of using air gun ??

4) what is the proper ways of cleaning the brake components ?? is it starts by cleaning with tap water, then wipe with cloth, then apply brake parts cleaner, then spray them (optional) and end with installing all the parts back to the origin place..

hope you guys can guide & assist me...DIY rocks...:rock:
Spray the brake cleaner anywhere that's dirty along the caliper, rotor, rim, etc. Then flush it with water. Don't let it dry up with the brake dust.

You really need an airgun to remove the piston. What I use is those cheap RM80 tyre pressure pumps that you can buy from Jusco that runs off your cigarette lighter plug. It does the trick as well.

There's no "proper" way of cleaning the brake components. I just use a brush, some cleaner, water and brush it down. Then I just let it dry in the sun and that's it. No need to clean the rotors, except you can opt to sand off the rusty bits (except for the parts that the brake pads are in direct contact with) and spray paint it with some high temp paint. Not really necessary but a red colour rotor is cool :biggrin:

samurai76

Feb 8, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
thx izso san for fast feedback....

just imagine, how much it costs us if we send the car to mechanics and ask them to change the brake pads, spray caliper, clean the brake components, flush & bleed the brakes ???? last time, i send kelisa for new brake fluid, flush & bleed the brakes, it costs me rm100...!@#$%^&....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
thx izso san for fast feedback....

just imagine, how much it costs us if we send the car to mechanics and ask them to change the brake pads, spray caliper, clean the brake components, flush & bleed the brakes ???? last time, i send kelisa for new brake fluid, flush & bleed the brakes, it costs me rm100...!@#$%^&....
That's cheap what

samurai76

Feb 8, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
all sifus & members of the house,

Tomorrow, I am going to change the 'brake pads' and to spray the 'brake caliper' as well...also to change the 'disc brake rotor'...after made few survey at the spare parts shops, the price for 'disc brake rotor' for TRW & Bosch is the same...which brand is recommended & reliable based on performance, quality, etc ?? plis advice....:hmmmm:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
all sifus & members of the house,

Tomorrow, I am going to change the 'brake pads' and to spray the 'brake caliper' as well...also to change the 'disc brake rotor'...after made few survey at the spare parts shops, the price for 'disc brake rotor' for TRW & Bosch is the same...which brand is recommended & reliable based on performance, quality, etc ?? plis advice....:hmmmm:
TRW and Bosch are OEM pads like Hitachi is for Perodua. Personally I find Bosch pads crap. They aren't for cars that go faster than 80km/h and when pressured it'll fade the first chance it gets. I suggest you source around for better pads like Bendix, Ferodo, Improve Platinum, etc.

If you have the budget go high end - EBC, Endless, Brembo, etc.

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
From my expereince, Ferodo Zero are just too dusty compare to Bendix CT series. They leaved a trail of dust even after just 50km of travelling.
Btw, I find a DIY way to make the brakes feel less spongy which is by using a lot of cable tight and fully tie it along the OEM brake hose.
After DIY, braking feel slightly more responsive as the cable tight setup prevent the rubber OEM brake hose from flexing.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
From my expereince, Ferodo Zero are just too dusty compare to Bendix CT series. They leaved a trail of dust even after just 50km of travelling.
Btw, I find a DIY way to make the brakes feel less spongy which is by using a lot of cable tight and fully tie it along the OEM brake hose.
After DIY, braking feel slightly more responsive as the cable tight setup prevent the rubber OEM brake hose from flexing.
That's really old school! And very tiring to do! :biggrin: Only reason why I didn't bother with this DIY actually. Malas. So end up I bought and used steel braided.

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
That's really old school! And very tiring to do! :biggrin: Only reason why I didn't bother with this DIY actually. Malas. So end up I bought and used steel braided.
Very tiring indeed but DIY can be addictive :biggrin:. Spend 2 hours doing all 4 side. One side has the cable tight loose due to run out of good cable tight, end up using 'el cheapo'. It was a thing of the past though as me too bought a half cut steel braided hose. Same brake 'feel' but more lasting.

Vincent0001

Mar 8, 2019
Hi Izso, mine is Myvi as well, may i know how you use the floor jack to jack up a the car, at which point you jack it up and put two jack stands at the pinch weld supports (behind the wheel as your picture).

Can I use floor jack to jack up the spring support underneath(the big spring support the tyre and car one)?

and what grease you using to lubricate the caliper pin?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hi Izso, mine is Myvi as well, may i know how you use the floor jack to jack up a the car, at which point you jack it up and put two jack stands at the pinch weld supports (behind the wheel as your picture).

Can I use floor jack to jack up the spring support underneath(the big spring support the tyre and car one)?

and what grease you using to lubricate the caliper pin?

i'm not sure which part you're referring to. I jack it up on the flatter stronger chassis parts of the car. If i'm not mistaken the pinch weld support is the original car jacks jacking spot right? that one bends using a floor jack so i don't use that bit.

Vincent0001

Mar 8, 2019
i'm not sure which part you're referring to. I jack it up on the flatter stronger chassis parts of the car. If i'm not mistaken the pinch weld support is the original car jacks jacking spot right? that one bends using a floor jack so i don't use that bit.
Thanks for reply
What is mean is the Yellow color part, can i use the for floor jack point?
How about the Red color part?
Wondering where is the flatter stronger chassis parts you refering to ?

and i plan to use the "Super high temperature Red Toyo grease EAJ 8000" as shown in picture for my Myvi caliper pin, have you heard about it, is it suitable?
* can i show the brand like that? first time playing forum, if not i will remove it, thanks

Attachments

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Everyone seems to like it but i see it as just another proton with a different name. IMO i dont think that Persona is going to sell successfully, just as the proton canselor ( or how do you spell this ). I was hoping to see another model completely. I havent seen it in real life yet so i cant quite judge, but still i have only seen a canselor once since its launch. anyone seen a canselor more than once on the roads?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience