How to DIY paint the sport rims to white colour??

tarrant8877

500 RPM
Sep 12, 2004
KL / IPOH
Visit site
Hello every sifu… Need help on painting the rims to white colour…

What sort of paint I need to buy to paint my rims?

Or can I just use the car paint ?

If I send to car paint shop to paint need how much for 4 piece of 17” rims?

Need advice from u all… thx…:)

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
P Jaya:Malaysia
kh_tan.tripod.com
You need 4 more spare wheels in order to spray your current one.

You need

- sand paper, 900-1000 coarse rating
- Spray paint 2 cans white, 2 cans clear
- Masking tape
- news paper
- rubbing compound

Roughly sand paper the surface of the wheel and spokes. No nned to rub hard because you just want to let the paint grip on the surface.

Clean the wheels by washing.

Next mask off the area you don't want to paint on. Here use your creativity.

Then spray the white first. Use thin coats and wait about 15 minutes after each coat. I ran mine about 7 layers of base color then 5 coats of clear.

Let dry for about 2 days. If there is hot sun even better to let it bake out.

Next you could use the rubbing compound to make the surface even. Rubbing compound is too effective so use sparingly or you could rub out the whole paint together.

Expect to spend half a day for all four wheels.

For shops to do this, i think many tire shops can do it. But expect to pay cheap RM80 or expensive RM500 for the wheels depending on paints used and complexity of are masked.

DIY if you are on a budget.

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
try not to use acrylic paints (RM5 a bottle) as it will fade over time.... try to get those high temp paints.. or just send to ppl to use car paints.. u get nicer end results...

if u can do powder coating.. its even better...

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
kh_tan.tripod.com
But the problem is locating high temp paints in the color you want. I only found red, blue, black and silver at Ace hardware mid valley. Made by Duplicolor. Else you could buy ACE own in house brand (also as good). But there is no white. My suggestion to use high coat of the clear paint so the finish can last long from sand and rocks.

Arcylic paints are supposed to be better than normal gloss paints. And Arcylic paints cost more. You should buy arcylic paints. If you can, better buy enamel paints for better finish. But if i were a beginner, i would just buy Anchor gloss paints and mid coat it with DPI auto finish and Anchor clear paint. More process but good finish and lasting.

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
kh_tan.tripod.com
No lar, check out again the bottle indication.

Bosny has 2 types you can buy. Rm5.50 for gloss and RM8.90 for arcylic. DPI (Anchor)also has such type. Gloss finish RM5 Arcylic RM12 (small auto finish).

So far i have seen 4 types of spray paint

Gloss, Arcylic, Enamel & High Temp. After that there is matt finish. Some more that we don't have here are high temp with aluminum, high temp with ceramic, vinyl finish, chromatic (pearl) finish, Exhaust paint & crinkle finish.

Some paints that i desire, cost more than RM50 a bottle. If with bloddy shipment cost almost RM300. Just for 1 bloody can or imported paint. hahaha.

Another equipment i recomment u guys who wanna DIY is the "CAN GUN". Basically it attaches to the paint nozzle area. And you have a paint gun like those used in spray shops. But since Malaysian manufacturers made bigger nozzle depressers, the gun is sort of a tight fit.

Look for CAN GUN in ACE hardware. I bought mine there for RM10. No more tiring fingers liao. hehehe.

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
i think there is some confusion here...

"acrylic" is type of paint..... "gloss" is type of finishing of de paint....

acrylic means de paint material.... gloss means u got a shiny surface after sprayed...

fuankee

Known Member
Sep 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
hi all..
well, i saw white high-temp spray in ACE hardware in Ikano.. mid-valley 1 also got if im not mistaken..

i sprayed mine dark grey, a bit copper.. spray from ACE also.. well it looks fine.. but 1 problem with it, the brake dust is quite hard to be removed.. maybe mine i made it a lil coarse when i sprayed it, so the dust tend to b a lil sturborn once they stay on the rims..

I tried using Dulux Gloss-finish for outdoor usage 1, the outcome-Fabulous! but the finishing not as smooth as spray 1 la of cos.. so i wouldnt recommend that..

btw, the i used is called ACE Anodized Bronze Refinisher.. i did that bout like 2 months ago, till now no sign of chipping or watsoever.. thumbs up for ACE's products
so goodluck

howiechoo

8,000 RPM
Jul 25, 2004
Bukit Jalil
just go hardware shop to buy those 2 star or above white paint can edy la...just dun use the normal RM5 1...ask them take better 1 for u...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

If you think your little paper craft project of a scale house has earned you a pat on the back, this not-so-little project by Epson might be more akin to a slap in the face for you.

Epson employees...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience