How to control your automatic gear change using the accelerator?

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
There are many ways as to how we can control the gear change of auto cars

using the accelerator pedal...

Certain times we need to ...

climb a steep hill how do we use the accelerator pedal to have a quick low gear change?

Or how do we use the accelerator pedal to have a powerful and fast overtaking another vehicle?

Certainly its not just pressing on it alone...

There are techniques of doing it...

Lets discuss on ways we can control the auto gear change with the use of the accelerator....

Professionals comments also welcomed...:wavey::driver:

eazt92

Jan 8, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
based from my past experience with several auto cars and experienced people,u need to understand where the car powerband comes at. whether it is low end,mid range or high end for the torque. auto car will sure to change the gear when u press the accelerator up to some rpm point according to the ecu setting. for overtaking other car in D position, u can simply press the acce up to the point where it will shift the gear down and then pushing it up but slowly until u passed the car in front. u cannot just press the acce till the floor which cause low pickup and consume more fuel only. thats my opinion. correct me if im wrong.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Lift off the accelerator, then step more on it. This will definitely make your auto downshift....

amrancharger

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2006
Lift off the accelerator, then step more on it. This will definitely make your auto downshift....
yes, dats how the otai taught me when i got my auto cars.
but really need to understand the powerband of the car.

however before coming to a steep slope i will already push the pedal a bit to ensure i dun loss the momentum.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
yes, dats how the otai taught me when i got my auto cars.
but really need to understand the powerband of the car.

however before coming to a steep slope i will already push the pedal a bit to ensure i dun loss the momentum.
My wife's SUV only 4 speed so should change down one gear, but not sure if over step for those 6 speed will it drop more gears? :hmmmm:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Playing with the accelerator actually help in saving fuel too...What I do:

When accelerating and upon reaching steady speed, usually RPM plus minus 3k, I'll lift of the pedal, let the car cruise for 1 sec, then press the accelerator slowly. It would usually shift to higher gear and RPM drop back to 2k. If I do not do this, it will only shift at RPM around 4k. Fuel wasted :biggrin:

This is poor man's driving style yo :biggrin::biggrin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
After driving manual for a while now, driving my auto Myvi is annoying. So much right footwork it gets tiring. And then there's that damn tiny 1.3L engine. Gahhhhh..

Manuals FTW!

:biggrin:

crazykatak

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2006
Subang Jaya
What do both of you mean by 10 level stepping technique and 15 level ?

Care to explain in simplier term?:confused:
watch initial d how Keisuke Takahashi learns to control the throttle of his FD..similar concept and principle i should say.. :idea:

the TPS senses throttle valve opening angle, should the angle be increased gradually at "D" range..ecu detects a "change of load" at the engine..thus downshifting the gear.initially 1 gear.
if the throttle valve angle opening increased greatly in a sudden at "D" range, downshift of 2 gears may occur..
this however, dependent on engine power and at which RPM you are operating the engine at.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Playing with the accelerator actually help in saving fuel too...What I do:

When accelerating and upon reaching steady speed, usually RPM plus minus 3k, I'll lift of the pedal, let the car cruise for 1 sec, then press the accelerator slowly. It would usually shift to higher gear and RPM drop back to 2k. If I do not do this, it will only shift at RPM around 4k. Fuel wasted :biggrin:

This is poor man's driving style yo :biggrin::biggrin:
Bro., if you step lightly on the accelerator, the gear change is at lower RPM....:biggrin:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Bro., if you step lightly on the accelerator, the gear change is at lower RPM....:biggrin:
No ler..i've tried accelerating slowly and gentle on the pedal. But the acceleration is killing me..it's like the earth spins away faster than my car can go lol..got once the car behind me even flashed his light at me haha. :slug::slug:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
No ler..i've tried accelerating slowly and gentle on the pedal. But the acceleration is killing me..it's like the earth spins away faster than my car can go lol..got once the car behind me even flashed his light at me haha. :slug::slug:
hahahahaha...is like that loh......:rofl:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

a friend told me a bored crankshaft of a turbo engine (due to scratches and uneven surface) with oversize engine/conrod bearing (0.5 mm) would not last long and best is to look for another crankshaft without modified.

May i have your comment/experience sharing ? Thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience