How I blew by RB26DETT....please share

How my RB26DETT blew............

• Heavy foot AND cornering Junkie (High RPM Drift King?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I blame Nissan ...(oil pump/collar issue)

• I could not resist turning up the BOOST.....now my GTR is NA....

• Never Blown - I have done all the mods.. :-)

• Total voters

ek_elleh

500 RPM
Sep 5, 2005
KB
RB25DET can mix?

i blew my 2nd and 5th pistons in late 2007..
currently still in RB26DETT transplant progress..

how?
heavy foot, pursuing an BNR34 plet 20 at kuantan-jabor highway..

V-Spec

Nov 28, 2003
Johnny_9, you're the poll king. :redface:

Temujin

1,000 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
My RB26 didn't blow.. but went for preventive surgery anyways.. and the car is still in the shops waiting for parts..

After having opened the engine, we could see the Nismo crank and piston bearings were shot.. we're assuming that the crank and/or block has become off-balanced..

The engine had been rebuilt at L**** in 2006 but only traveled about 2kkms since then. Who or what is at fault for the dying engine?

Some told me about horror stories related to blown engines after being rebuilt at the said workshop, but then I can't comment on that as I've never been a customer to the said workshop.

I personally feel that the oil pump was on the way out as I was having low pressure since I got the car. On why the oil pump wasn't changed during the '06 rebuild is beyond me.

Anyhow, putting in N1 pumps and other stuffs while the car is on the hoist. Need to source for another block and internals too..
:hmmmm:

Last edited:

kaminari

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Taiping
Temujin ...could do a favor for me?After you take out the engine bearing and conrod bearing give me
the designated parts no on the bearing following by piston arrangement.
Then also no printed on crankshaft and top engine block..... :)

frootloops

Known Member
May 28, 2009
Temujin, how did u find out u had those problems beside low oil pressure? any other symptoms?

jessie

Known Member
Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Temujin, how did u find out u had those problems beside low oil pressure? any other symptoms?
Just go to the tomei website; lots of pics, showing oiling issues of RB26DETT under prolonged high rpm (oil get trapped in the head and cannot flow back to the sump). Also #6 cylinder gets hotter & back turbo can get hot......that why VSPEC2 got NACA duct; See what ek_elleh said...chasing a GTR on the highway....high BOOST, high BOOST, then

Temujin

1,000 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
Temujin ...could do a favor for me?After you take out the engine bearing and conrod bearing give me
the designated parts no on the bearing following by piston arrangement.
Then also no printed on crankshaft and top engine block..... :)
I think I could get the no for the engine and conrod bearing provided it's still lying there.. but following piston arrangement a bit hard bro.. it's everywhere in the box of failed bearings hehe.. I'll try though..

Will get back to u with those numbers on Monday as we're having a long weekend :biggrin:

Having some issues with low oil pressure when I drove to the car to work, plus engine dies due to blowoff issue too (needs ecu retuning or plumback).. So as it goes, I went to my regular shop to initially just get a standalone ecu and resulted in having the block opened as my mech heard some rustling in the block during engine-on which he thought may be a clue to some hanky panky going on..

Which unfortunately was true.. :help:

heterodyne

Known Member
Jul 2, 2007
So L**** do hanky panky job huh?

bad reputation for such a nice company! haha.

Temujin

1,000 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
So L**** do hanky panky job huh?

bad reputation for such a nice company! haha.
Engine was last rebuilt there and only traveled slightly more than 2kkms and there was some hanky panky going on with the bearings..

As I said I believe that the oil pump wasn't changed before (wasn't stated as changed in the previous receipt) and it was on the way out, which may have caused low oil pressure and thus shot bearings.. more mileage and I would expect a seized engine..

But I would stop short of saying that the shop did a hanky panky job as I've never dealt with them in terms of engine rebuilds. People have told stories.. whether or not it is true remains to be seen..

Nevertheless, I'm having the engine rebuilt again and hopefully the Gojira gets to ride again soon.. :burnout:

kaminari

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Taiping
I think I could get the no for the engine and conrod bearing provided it's still lying there.. but following piston arrangement a bit hard bro.. it's everywhere in the box of failed bearings hehe.. I'll try though..

Will get back to u with those numbers on Monday as we're having a long weekend :biggrin:
Hahaha ok, bit unfortunate..... if not can analyze the cause of bearing failure....might on your bearing itself or crankshaft.

Anyway just give the code,myb i can give you the answer.

Temujin

1,000 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
Hahaha ok, bit unfortunate..... if not can analyze the cause of bearing failure....might on your bearing itself or crankshaft.

Anyway just give the code,myb i can give you the answer.

Just FYI, some of the crank bearings were falling off the block instead of supposedly seated nicely during removal of the crankshaft..

Was told by the mech that the crank (and the block too perhaps) had gone off balance resulting in shot bearings..

Anyways, will go to the shop to get those numbers for you.. Cheers bro :burnout:

feezdya

1,500 RPM
Aug 3, 2006
Pee Jay
www.takaful-ikhlas.com.my
Yes im totally agree with Rakzakzsa...and also the important thing to take care is the Oil engine. Last time im using Torco oil but I realize that the oil is thin and become lesser when regularly drive. So I do research what is the suitable oil for the GTR engine. And lots of GTR owner said that they are using castrol egde. So I did try the said oil and it’s proved. Till now im using the said oil...but recently I quite grotesque why my oil pressure is low. When I warm up the engine, supposedly the oil pressure indicator show at the middle of the meter but now one bar fall. Any idea or advise? Do your car have a same reading?

Temujin

1,000 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
Yes im totally agree with Rakzakzsa...and also the important thing to take care is the Oil engine. Last time im using Torco oil but I realize that the oil is thin and become lesser when regularly drive. So I do research what is the suitable oil for the GTR engine. And lots of GTR owner said that they are using castrol egde. So I did try the said oil and it’s proved. Till now im using the said oil...but recently I quite grotesque why my oil pressure is low. When I warm up the engine, supposedly the oil pressure indicator show at the middle of the meter but now one bar fall. Any idea or advise? Do your car have a same reading?

My 32R had low oil pressure upon warm up, around 1 bar or slightly less. The oil pressure continued to go lower after a few days hence prompted me to send the car to the shop.

In my case, I think the oil pump was on its way out as it wasn't documented if the pump had been changed before. I assumed it still was using the original pump ever since it came out of the factory in 1991.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hey people,
I'm thinking of modding the exhaust of my Telstar. I've asked for quotes and for 2 bullets, 2.5" piping and muffler is about RM550. is that a good price? I'm doing it at puchong. If I want to change the extractor, I 'only' need to add RM150. Good deal?

Another question is. How big a difference will the exhaust mod make to my:
1) power/torque
2) fuel consumption?
The most important thing i'm looking for is actually better fuel consumption. Is the exhaust mod worth it...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience