Hood scoops...good or bad?

weikhee86

Known Member
Dec 10, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Guys...i drive a proton with a NA engine...i thought of cutting a hole and installing hood scoop for better air intake...is it a good or a bad idea? If water go in during rain the engine components will rust and spoil faster right? any opinion?

mrbear

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2005
its GOOD .. 100% recommended!

well actually.. it depends on how does the vent style.. r&d .. means how the fibre shop do it. .

like my hood .. oviously.. when its raining .. heavily .. the water will flow thru the radiator .. hence making the radiator cold .. i ensure 100% .. i dare to cut my fingers that when its raining .. when u open the hood.. u won't see even 1 dot of water on the engine bay/surface..

* some of my frens using CF hoods,custom hoods .. when its damn heavily raining or washing the car.. the water flows n touch the extractor n also touch the engine bay area.. make the engine wets .. (this not good for engine health)

* like my hood vents .. its already been mod so that the water flows goes directly to the radiator .. even its heavily rain or u wash the car.. u can't find 1 dot of water touching my extractor n engine bay..

GOOD SIDE = it vanishes the HOT air inside the engine bay when running n also idling .. (its proven,coz when i travel long distance.. n also a long drag,short drag. when i stop n pop the hood. i can't even feel the "HOT AIR" from my engine.

BAD SIDE = for my hood. NONE .. (basically depends on how the shop custom made it..) im 100% satisfy with it..

Hood Vents is very good,efficient.. fast action of vanishing HOT AIR!! hence make the engine smoother n increase performance..

btw im using H22A Dohc VTEC .. is a MONSTER!!!
good luck!

Last edited:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Installing a hood scoop(s) is good as it acts as a cool air inlet from outside to cool the hot air in the engine bay, esp good when the car is moving. Engine runs cooler, but I won't expect to have drastic improvement in engine performance, unless u know exactly how air movement from the front of the car, how air circulate and later how hot air being expel from the hood vent(s). Effective cooling requires both the SCOOP & VENT.

Just be careful when cutting out the steel panel when installing the scoop over the hood, preferably not altering the reinforcement "frame" under the hood.

Last edited:

devillish

Jan 5, 2004
Yes mrbear...can we see your hood?

How much did it cost you and where did you custom it?

gohkokeng

2,000 RPM
Feb 21, 2006
i think is perfect hood scoop with CAI directly suck the air from hood scoop there

skyline2778

Known Member
Apr 28, 2005
Sban
JPJ tak kacau ha???Last time i heard they dun allow us to cut holes thru the hood....:retarded:

Sato

2,000 RPM
Jul 28, 2004
Do u mean the hood is like S flow ? Underneath the vent...is it there got another plate-like to divert the water down to the radiator ?

If yes...i get what u mean.....

Sato

2,000 RPM
Jul 28, 2004
Yeah...from what i saw....last time

The front bonnet air vent actually is not juz a hole to let hot air flow out.

Under the hole...it got another plate....something like aluminium plate....to cover the hole...but not sealed....so...watever water drops into the vent...the water actually fallen to the aluminium plate...and the plate which sit quite steep....allow the water to flow down to the front of the car....which finally goes to the radiator....therefore....even u spray water to the air vent on the bonnet...water can't get to the engine....

TiBuN

Known Member
May 16, 2004
Penang / BM
Visit site
I know Hyundai Acsent RXS or something.... the sports version is useless lah. :_:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I've read some place offer servicing BBK or calipers but forgot where is it already - i think its in Sunway.

Need to service caliper which i have already bought the parts i.e. seals, rubber, etc.

any recommendation?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience