1. Hello! We've made major changes to both the Forums and Marketplace section recently. Please join the discussion and tell us your feedback! Read Here for urgent matters, send an email to forums@zerotohundred.com | Update: User Like count is back | Current Progress: Adding improvments to The Marketplace
    Dismiss Notice

Hood scoops...good or bad?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by weikhee86, Aug 23, 2006.

1. weikhee86

weikhee86 Senior Member

Guys...i drive a proton with a NA engine...i thought of cutting a hole and installing hood scoop for better air intake...is it a good or a bad idea? If water go in during rain the engine components will rust and spoil faster right? any opinion?

2. mrbear

mrbear Senior Member

its GOOD .. 100% recommended!

well actually.. it depends on how does the vent style.. r&d .. means how the fibre shop do it. .

like my hood .. oviously.. when its raining .. heavily .. the water will flow thru the radiator .. hence making the radiator cold .. i ensure 100% .. i dare to cut my fingers that when its raining .. when u open the hood.. u won't see even 1 dot of water on the engine bay/surface..

* some of my frens using CF hoods,custom hoods .. when its damn heavily raining or washing the car.. the water flows n touch the extractor n also touch the engine bay area.. make the engine wets .. (this not good for engine health)

* like my hood vents .. its already been mod so that the water flows goes directly to the radiator .. even its heavily rain or u wash the car.. u can't find 1 dot of water touching my extractor n engine bay..

GOOD SIDE = it vanishes the HOT air inside the engine bay when running n also idling .. (its proven,coz when i travel long distance.. n also a long drag,short drag. when i stop n pop the hood. i can't even feel the "HOT AIR" from my engine.

BAD SIDE = for my hood. NONE .. (basically depends on how the shop custom made it..) im 100% satisfy with it..

Hood Vents is very good,efficient.. fast action of vanishing HOT AIR!! hence make the engine smoother n increase performance..

btw im using H22A Dohc VTEC .. is a MONSTER!!!
    good luck!

#2 mrbear, Aug 24, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  3. Doink

Doink Senior Member

show some pics of ur hood bro...

4. ken yeang

ken yeang Senior Member

Installing a hood scoop(s) is good as it acts as a cool air inlet from outside to cool the hot air in the engine bay, esp good when the car is moving. Engine runs cooler, but I won't expect to have drastic improvement in engine performance, unless u know exactly how air movement from the front of the car, how air circulate and later how hot air being expel from the hood vent(s). Effective cooling requires both the SCOOP & VENT.

Just be careful when cutting out the steel panel when installing the scoop over the hood, preferably not altering the reinforcement "frame" under the hood.

#4 ken yeang, Aug 24, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  5. devillish

devillish Senior Member

Yes mrbear...can we see your hood?

How much did it cost you and where did you custom it?

6. putra4767

putra4767 Senior Member

scoop

Gud ventilation...provided properly done..:regular_smile:

7. gohkokeng

gohkokeng Senior Member

i think is perfect hood scoop with CAI directly suck the air from hood scoop there

8. skyline2778

skyline2778 Senior Member

JPJ tak kacau ha???Last time i heard they dun allow us to cut holes thru the hood....:retarded:

9. Sato

Sato Senior Member

Do u mean the hood is like S flow ? Underneath the vent...is it there got another plate-like to divert the water down to the radiator ?

If yes...i get what u mean.....

10. Fluffy

Fluffy Senior Member

wat?divert water down the radiator?

11. devillish

devillish Senior Member

yeah....

forgot to ask about matters concerning JPJ?

is the thing legal?

12. Sato

Sato Senior Member

Yeah...from what i saw....last time

The front bonnet air vent actually is not juz a hole to let hot air flow out.

Under the hole...it got another plate....something like aluminium plate....to cover the hole...but not sealed....so...watever water drops into the vent...the water actually fallen to the aluminium plate...and the plate which sit quite steep....allow the water to flow down to the front of the car....which finally goes to the radiator....therefore....even u spray water to the air vent on the bonnet...water can't get to the engine....

13. gohkokeng

gohkokeng Senior Member

Sato
    wei...damn intertesting la....

total cost how much if i wanna do 1?

14. alexklg

alexklg Senior Member

but if there's an Al plate, how does the air go into the engine bay to cool the engine?

15. TiBuN

TiBuN Senior Member

I know Hyundai Acsent RXS or something.... the sports version is useless lah. :_:

16. b00n

b00n Senior Member

haha....though the Acsent want is just a dummy stick on...

anyway, it's better for the hood hole to direct the flow towards your air filter.......
    and yes........water flow towards the front part and not seeping towards the hot engines

17. SkYwAlKeR

SkYwAlKeR Senior Member

icic... means this technique is only applicable to those inverted hood scoop la??... if those like mira scoop, sure got water enter??....

i also wanna do air scoop on my bonnet ler... but got few things bugging me.... water seeping through and jpj problem.....

18. Fluffy

Fluffy Senior Member

the mira scoops are quite okay.just a lil water kena IC.

19. gohkokeng

gohkokeng Senior Member

IC? what's an IC?

20. zan

zan 15 Year | Platinum

IC stands for intercooler.

actually, hood vent sole purpose is to feed air to top mounted intercoolers like in Skyline, Scooby WRX and Corolla Supercharger (trueno, levin).

that way will reduce the risks of IC being pierced from flying stones and things like that.

hood vents do actually spoil wind flow and aerodynamic efficiency, so if the purpose does not increase horse power but only for looks...think twice! :D