Hondata Airbox Mod

NukeeZoid

2,000 RPM
Jan 26, 2005
further_seems_forever.blogspot.com
Hi,

Just wondering if any of you guys have done the Hondata airbox mod on your stock airboxes?

The claim is that you'll gain roughly 2-3hp from doing this... and its as simple as cutting up the inside of the airbox for better airflow.

Even though you wont feel much of the HP increase, but it's been proven to show on Dynos....

Any advise from those that have done it on what I need to actually cut the plastic, coz its hard as shit.

NukeeZoid

2,000 RPM
Jan 26, 2005
yeah i actually saw the discussion after doing a google search.

the thing is we dont have access to most of these power tools in malaysia, and its hard to find a place to rent them unlike the states.

was just wondering if anyone did it before...then can get some DIY advise and possibly borrow some tools. :burnout:

NukeeZoid

2,000 RPM
Jan 26, 2005
hey guys. just wanted to share the hondata airbox mod i did over the weekend.

i dont have a dremmel, so i had to make do with a handsaw and some pliers.

the airbox was a bitch to cut because the plastic got REALLY thick towards the bottom of the airbox. top parts were easy, but midway it started to get thick....and a hand saw really doesnt do it...(explains the bad cutting)

anyways...the concept is the same and i removed the snorkel to allow for more airflow because the stock snorkel actually leads towards the battery...which i think is idiotic design on honda's part, could've routed it facing forward.

heres some pictures. i noticed a difference in the mid to high end...but theres a slight throttle lag at low rpms...much like what you experience from an open pod filter.

i encourage anyone with a stock airbox to get this mod done. DEFINITELY worth it.

i'm gonna get a K&N filter...and im sure the performance will be TONS better than the stock paper filter.

best of both worlds....sleeper/stock looks....but with a higher flowing airbox + open pod like induction.

Only dyno will prove results....but i could definitely feel an improvement!

Attachments

Last edited:

subcon

1,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2005
Turn 5

the airbox was a bitch to cut because the plastic got REALLY thick towards the bottom of the airbox. top parts were easy, but midway it started to get thick....and a hand saw really doesnt do it...(explains the bad cutting)

anyways...the concept is the same and i removed the snorkel to allow for more airflow because the stock snorkel actually leads towards the battery...which i think is idiotic design on honda's part, could've routed it facing forward.

heres some pictures. i noticed a difference in the mid to high end...but theres a slight throttle lag at low rpms...much like what you experience from an open pod filter.

i encourage anyone with a stock airbox to get this mod done. DEFINITELY worth it.

i'm gonna get a K&N filter...and im sure the performance will be TONS better than the stock paper filter.

best of both worlds....sleeper/stock looks....but with a higher flowing airbox + open pod like induction.

thanks for sharing. if im too lazy to diy can i upah u to do it for me? :biggrin::biggrin:

anyway cant wait for the dyno results. post it here thankyou

jzafddc5

Jun 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Good job bro!! Im sure there is difference in perfomance. Although i have not done it to my ITR, a friend of mine did it to his S2000 recently and man..there is an increase in performance definitely..

NukeeZoid

2,000 RPM
Jan 26, 2005
subcon. I'm actually offering my "services and expertise" for RM80 a pop. haha. looking to see if any of the 2.0 civics wanna do it as well to their stock airboxes.... :burnout:

anyways...i've just swapped in a K&N Replacement Filter over the weekend and the results are even better now.

higher intake of air + higher flowing air filter = EXCELLENT throttle response and definitely improved mid-high range.

just to let everyone know, i removed the stock snorkel as well....how retarded is it to route that small ass opening to the battery...makes no sense to me...

im dying to put this on a dyno to see what the result of such a simple mod is.
the only problem is i dont have a stock baseline to work from. haha...

anyways...will still get the dyno done probably this weekend just for fun. then all the "stockies" can see what an Airbox mod + replacement air filter + de-cat would do to the car....i'm expecting around 4-5hp up! :biggrin:

Last edited:

subcon

1,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2005
Turn 5
im dying to put this on a dyno to see what the result of such a simple mod is.
the only problem is i dont have a stock baseline to work from. haha...
why you didn't send your car for dyno first before carry out the mod on the car?

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

subcon. I'm actually offering my "services and expertise" for RM80 a pop. haha. looking to see if any of the 2.0 civics wanna do it as well to their stock airboxes.... :burnout:
i would love to do it tapi sayang laaaaa airbox tu.....

NukeeZoid

2,000 RPM
Jan 26, 2005
why you didn't send your car for dyno first before carry out the mod on the car?

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

i would love to do it tapi sayang laaaaa airbox tu.....
Aiyah...stock airbox...just cut it lar.... you cant see a difference from the outside...and if you open it up you'll really wonder WHY THE HELL Honda created the airbox with that sort of design....the air filter can BARELY get any air....

Didn't think of Dyno-ing mar.... now after the mod I feel an increase in power...of course want to dyno lorr.... :biggrin:

NukeeZoid

2,000 RPM
Jan 26, 2005
sent it for a dyno today...and guess what...the hondata airbox mod and K&N replacement filter DID make a difference...

180.37whp.... not too shabby... 3whp over GTi4740's stock dyno of 177whp...

mind you my car is bone stock as well... only mods = Hondata airbox mod + K&N replacement filter...

Attachments

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys, I own a 6 years old previous generation Honda city

Im hearing a soft scraping / grinding noise when I accelerate

It will be between 35km/hr to 40km/hr

Other than that I don't hear the sound

Aside the sound, there will be light vibration felt on the pedal / steering

What'sthe problem?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience