Honda previews next-gen Civic with concepts at Detroit

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

You can almost hear the cries of ‘The VTEC just kicked in, yo’ as Honda unveiled concept versions of its ninth generation Civic Coupe and Sedan at the 2011 Detroit Auto Show with mildly updated exteriors and promises of improved interiors compared to the current Civic.

If previous Honda concepts are anything to go by, what you see is what you get, meaning little should be lost in the transition from prototype to production. Nonetheless, don’t be expecting the coupe version to be on the local Honda order list once the new models roll off the production line.

However, the sedan model that should find its way to our shores soon doesn’t divert much from the current Civic, save for a more menacing front fascia. Squint a little though and the grille as well as the headlights will start to look a little familiar. Spin it a 180 degrees and it’s again quite a familiar view with the exception of a resculpted boot deck and a new tail light design.

By going with a sharper silhouette up front and back, Honda are hoping to widen the model’s appeal and reel in a younger crowd. While we probably won’t be getting the coupe model, the slightly more edgy parts fitted to it does provide some ideas on how to go about sprucing up the sedan once it’s available. Wearing an air diffuser, central-mounted exhaust and spoiler while rolling on 19-inch wheels, it does cut a striking figure on the stage.

Honda did also add that the Civic Hybrid will now be coming with a lithium-ion battery pack that replaces the current nickel-metal hydride.

Source: Autoblog

Attachments

seanlim1543

Known Member
May 1, 2007
but this version of civic is completely out of the chain.... this design is like Honda is out of idea on designing new cars... almost is copy paste and modify a little bit just to entertain customers like us. But unfortunately I don buy them :thefinger:

FGT

500 RPM
May 19, 2007
from the 3rd pic's angle, looks a bit like....the old accord??

skazareth

Known Member
Feb 8, 2007
shit this is like USDM's Civic re-birth...
not so JDM look.

my 50cent.

drMpower

May 1, 2006
the 8th gen (current) civic we are getting here is pretty much the same as the americans are getting in the states (sedan) isnt it?

of course our line up Hondas are of JDM's, but for civic, i notice that for 8th gen (sedan) ours and the Americans are very similar, apart from the rim spokes, some tiny changes on the outside. so this Detroit Civic showcase could be the one coming to our shores in 2012

the sedan looks okay, although many would say the backlights are of 2002 Camry's. Honda has announced before about the size of the upcoming civic to be no more big that the current model. of which a bit strange. i suppose the idea of a new car is that it must be better than the one going out.

but nevermind. i do hope although the size stays the same, the engineers would be able to somehow enlarge the space. the current city is not as big as those the same in its class, but my god it is spacious inside. i mean not like MPV-like spacious but compare it to persona for example, and vios, i can easily cross legged while sitting at the back. and the best part is, the 'test' is done with positioning of the front seats are of my driving style. and i am 1.8m in tall!

so, the idea now is the car stays the same size but they try to make it big from the inside. which quite an out-of-the-box thinking. great.

i saw quite a few videos already available on the Net about the new civic they are testing -whether in the sands of Middle east or in the States - and i have to admit they are pretty much production ready already. also i have to add that the upcoming new one is less admirable compare to the outgoing. which is a bit dissappointing

nevertheless, i hope they can suprise me.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
For the white sedan in the above pics, I feel the front still looks like the UK version Type-R and the rear looks like the current Merc C-Class, especially the taillights.
As for the red coupe, it looks like an older City but wider especially from the front. The rear taillights also still very similar to the older city.
Overall I like the sedan better than the coupe, but I think I still prefer the current model (maybe). :)

sixtythree

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
the 8th gen (current) civic we are getting here is pretty much the same as the americans are getting in the states (sedan) isnt it?

of course our line up Hondas are of JDM's, but for civic, i notice that for 8th gen (sedan) ours and the Americans are very similar, apart from the rim spokes, some tiny changes on the outside. so this Detroit Civic showcase could be the one coming to our shores in 2012

the sedan looks okay, although many would say the backlights are of 2002 Camry's. Honda has announced before about the size of the upcoming civic to be no more big that the current model. of which a bit strange. i suppose the idea of a new car is that it must be better than the one going out.

but nevermind. i do hope although the size stays the same, the engineers would be able to somehow enlarge the space. the current city is not as big as those the same in its class, but my god it is spacious inside. i mean not like MPV-like spacious but compare it to persona for example, and vios, i can easily cross legged while sitting at the back. and the best part is, the 'test' is done with positioning of the front seats are of my driving style. and i am 1.8m in tall!

so, the idea now is the car stays the same size but they try to make it big from the inside. which quite an out-of-the-box thinking. great.

i saw quite a few videos already available on the Net about the new civic they are testing -whether in the sands of Middle east or in the States - and i have to admit they are pretty much production ready already. also i have to add that the upcoming new one is less admirable compare to the outgoing. which is a bit dissappointing

nevertheless, i hope they can suprise me.
its the other way around bro. Our civic is more similar to JDM differentiate by the head and tail lamp among others.

I dont see any statement from Honda that this 9th gen will received new motor or tranny. Hence i must say there is no excitement in it....even Hyundai already started fitting dual clutch in their lineup!

Yong_5290

3,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Klang
hotmail.com
dunno y la when ppl see concept o sketch they make a lot of noise but when real thing comes out only they drool all over especially if mugen o modulo start to make bodykits for them

Its Honda yo...any model of em fitted with bodykits will look nice

skazareth

Known Member
Feb 8, 2007
drMpower, i beg d differ. i dun think our FD is quite similar with FG..maybe when we cross our eyes then we will see them similar..hehehee. FG doesnt look JDM-ish. it does pretty but as pretty as Justin Bieber... (got what i mean?). Goes to FD, we can see its masculinity, the fierce, the anger, etc...that's JDM. thanks to sixtythree saying what i just want to say..no need 4me to type more..:)

i also agree with yong5290. 100%.

and just to share..this is where they got the idea to design.. :)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The Proton Satria Neo S2000 will be headed for the FIA Super 2000 World Rally Championship in Finland’s Neste Oils Rally this weekend – an event that’s been historically seen dominated by Nordic drivers in the WRC.

<!--more-->The Satria Neo S2000 has already undergone extensive tests ahead of Rally Finland with PG Andersson (SWE) and Juha Salo (FIN) at the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience