Honda CR-Z: Manual or Auto?

Jul 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
The CR-Z is on my list of considerations for my first car. The looks are killer and I'm a sucker for it, so I'll willingly forgo the lack of space. But more importantly, manual or auto?

My dilemma: lots of city driving, but I want to turbocharge/supercharge it at some point down the road when I get another 'family' car. And there's also the obvious disjuncture between the fact that I want this to be a sports car and having auto on it. I know, I know it's not a 'real' sports car blabla but as long as I think of it as one it's all good

So, will going auto limit my souping abilities down the road? How difficult will it be to change it to a manual? There's also the fact that I'm paying more for auto now, and then even more to downgrade to a manual.

Thoughts?

kcng

500 RPM
Jun 24, 2008
Selangor
kcng1983.blogspot.com
"sports" car are supposed to be purist... i.e. manual...

unless u are talking about cars like Lambo, GTR-35 etc...
regardless auto or manual, they have gazillion HP under the hood...
so they can afford to have loads of HP losses in transmission and still put out gazillion HP...

so yeah...
can your 120-ish HP "sports" car afford that?
:biggrin::biggrin:

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
If you have big plans for the engine in the future, there is no doubt the manual will be the ideal choice. If you're a manual person.

If you're more of an automatic person, as a daily driver, taking advantage of the whole green tech, boost from the electric motor, i would recommend the automatic. which i think compliments the whole hybrid car enjoyment. Choose the manual only if you have to drive a manual.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
From what you wrote, you sounded like you are quite fond of the manual or else you wouldn't have asked whether can you change the transmission back to manual. You also sounded like you're interested in modifying the CR-Z someday in the future. It's quite clear which one you should go for right? Take the manual. :burnout:

?nDc?s?ve

Known Member
Sep 2, 2005
damansara
The question is.. How far down the road is far? 1-2 years? 5-6 years?

If you can do an estimation it would be better.. if you really daily drive it in jams everyday then perhaps you should stick to auto..

but if it is a year or two, then perhaps you can get an manual and endure it for awhile as it will save you $$$ and hassle should you go down the ++ HP route..

end day, you need to ask yourself.. how much are u willing to sacrifice for that thirst of power and joy of driving.. nothing beats the pleasure of stick shifting :)

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
2 questions.

How soon can you get a 'daily' car and are you able to drive a manual in a jam for before that period?

The way you wrote 'sometime down the road' makes me feel like it's not anytime soon. If so, are you able to tolerate the manual shifting in city driving? Some people can, some people can't.

If you are serious about modding it, then it only points to one direction. Doubt the standard CVT can take much abuse from a FI engine.

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Couldn't agree more!!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
If you are really getting a family car real soon, then you can opt for a Manual CR-Z. Manual CR-Z is definitely much more fun to drive if you are the type who are into performance. Like many said, if you plan to do modifications on the CR-Z, manual is always the better choice. Auto will be limited anyhow.

At least you have family car as daily car and CR-Z manual for weekends.

If not, how long can you stand driving manual in such a legendary traffic in the city of KL? :rofl:
Unless you really love the car and decided that manual is the thing you want, then traffic you wont
mind I guess.

Izso drives manual in KL everyday :rofl:

Most answers are already mentioned by the rest of the sifus here.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
If you are really getting a family car real soon, then you can opt for a Manual CR-Z. Manual CR-Z is definitely much more fun to drive if you are the type who are into performance. Like many said, if you plan to do modifications on the CR-Z, manual is always the better choice. Auto will be limited anyhow.

At least you have family car as daily car and CR-Z manual for weekends.

If not, how long can you stand driving manual in such a legendary traffic in the city of KL? :rofl:
Unless you really love the car and decided that manual is the thing you want, then traffic you wont
mind I guess.

Izso drives manual in KL everyday :rofl:

Most answers are already mentioned by the rest of the sifus here.
Drive manual at KL need to see what type of clutch your car is using. If cable clutch like old saga, you sure habis already. :biggrin:

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
But if you're a real enthusiast, the "cling cling cling" clutch also no problem

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
But if you're a real enthusiast, the "cling cling cling" clutch also no problem
What's that?

remember "real man uses 3 pedals" haha.....:driver:
Nice. I often drive the old 1.3 Saga Iswara manual and I know the clutch feels heavy. Tried 1.5 Wira manual before and the clutch feels way lot better than Saga. Not to mention that the sitting position and gear stick in wira is way better than Saga. :top: Wira's gearstick had a shorter length and it feels nice compared to that long stick in Saga... Even though many said that Wira is a junk car or something, I still think it is quite a good car. (Since it is based on the Lancer that becomes the base for the first Lancer Evolution, haha)

Guess I'm a classy man for now :rofl:
Speechless. Automatic transmission drivers have come up with their own quotes now...

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
What's that?

Nice. I often drive the old 1.3 Saga Iswara manual and I know the clutch feels heavy. Tried 1.5 Wira manual before and the clutch feels way lot better than Saga. Not to mention that the sitting position and gear stick in wira is way better than Saga. :top: Wira's gearstick had a shorter length and it feels nice compared to that long stick in Saga... Even though many said that Wira is a junk car or something, I still think it is quite a good car. (Since it is based on the Lancer that becomes the base for the first Lancer Evolution, haha)

Speechless. Automatic transmission drivers have come up with their own quotes now...
Now we can come up with another. "I drive with 2 pedals just because I own a Skyline GT-R35" or "My car comes with only 2 pedals, is a Nissan Skyline GT-R35" :top:

Classy man :top:
:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

<iframe width="335" height="250" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xOZNsSWcWDo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mazda is set to launch it's compact SUV, the all-new Mazda CX-5 compact crossover in 2012. It is the first SUV of its kind to feature the SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY engine technology. The SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY has one of the highest engine compression in history of 14.0:1. It is also one of the cleanest in the Mazda stable. Mazda has a new design theme, called the 'KODO - Soul...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience