Honda Civic Hybrid Launched in Malaysia

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur

While the Civic Type R is a model of precision engineering, the Civic Hybrid raises the standard for environmentally-friendly, advanced automotive technology.

The Civic Hybrid is built on a dream of developing green vehicle that is gentle on the environment, yet uncompromising on design aesthetics and driving pleasure.

Honda first introduced the Integrated Motor Assist, or better known as IMA, hybrid technology in 1999. This technology was extended to the Civic family in 2003 and over the years, Honda engineers have fine-tuned the system.

The new hybrid system in the Civic Hybrid draws its power from an engine assisted by an electronic motor which has been made more compact and efficient. It intelligently employs different valve timing through a 3-stage i-VTEC engine and combining it with Honda’s 4th generation IMA system. The new Honda Hybrid system, works cohesively with the 1.3 litre engine to give out more power, better fuel-efficiency and lower emissions without compromising on performance.

\The IMA system consists of an ultra thin DC brushless electric motor mounted between the engine and the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT), and an Intelligent Power Unit (IPU) that stores electric power in a compact battery box and controls the flow of electricity to and from the electric motor.

Power lost during various stages of the driving cycle is stored up in the rear-mounted compact battery and pushed back to the electric motor, resulting in increased driving performance, reduced emission and enhanced fuel consumption.

Honda’s Hybrid technology has won 10 awards worldwide since 2005.

Honda Malaysia believes that the Civic Hybrid will create a new group of customers in Malaysia, who are not just environmentally conscious but also value the efficiency and fuel economy of the i-VTEC and IMA hybrid system. These customers appreciate innovation and advanced technology in their choices of vehicles whilst not compromising on design and driving pleasure.

Mr Fujimoto added that both the Civic Type R and Civic Hybrid are results of technology and innovation working beautifully hand in hand.

In his speech, Mr Kaname Tokita, Chief Engineer for Civic, Honda R&D Co., Ltd. Automobile R&D Centre said, “Both the Civic Type R and Civic Hybrid are the epitome of Honda’s passion in advanced and precision technology, innovation and commitment to care for the environment. As the Chief Engineer for Civic, I am very proud to bring two of the most technologically advanced vehicles to Malaysia. I am confident that both models will set new benchmarks in performance vehicle and green vehicle respectively in Malaysia.”

The All New Civic Type R comes in Championship White while the Civic Hybrid is available in Fluorite Silver Metallic.

The All New Civic Type R and Civic Hybrid will be open for bookings at all Honda Showrooms throughout Malaysia from today, August 2, onwards. At the moment, customers can view the cars at selected Honda authorized dealers from August 13 onwards. (Please see Appendix 1 for the list of the selected dealers).

Last edited:

azameel

Known Member
Jun 8, 2006
waa..
how much would the price be?
must be a hit if the price is right.

cheers for honda..:biggrin:

davidv00

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2006
Selangor
now the next thing is the mindset, would Msian can accept driving a green car? this is a more challenging part.

[Joc]

Known Member
May 5, 2004
1.3 for RM160K????
JacEK,
you don't evaluate how much a car is worth by its cubic centimetre (cc) size, especially in a hybrid. If thats the case of argument, then this 1.3 is supposed to be as powerful as a 1.6 or 1.7 Civic then 1.3 > 1.6? This thing is supposed to save your wallet by a LOT, since it uses electric power. Now if only they published fuel consumption figures to see how much cheaper it is.

Lennon

1,000 RPM
Apr 11, 2005
Those who travel heavily should consider this baby..... Any km per ringgit figure??

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
I seriously doubt it will be by "a lot" in practical use and I don't care what the manufacturer claims, especially when it comes to hybrids.

And once you properly think about how a hybrid works, you will get it too. The energy needed to move the car, needs to come from somewhere. The primary source of energy comes from the teeny weeny petrol engine. The electric motor helps move things along when it has some juice in the batteries (which comes from the petrol engine). Driving at a more "leisurely" pace you can just run with the electric motor (which uses energy from the batteries which comes from the petrol engine anyway).

What all that means is that you are driving a crazy compromise that is neither here nor there. Unless you are prepared to drive really economically (slowly) you aren't going to be saving much fuel because the petrol engine will need to provide some go as well as juice for the batteries and it is just a 1.3 in a rather large and heavy car.

And how long do you need to be driving this car before you justify the premium you pay over the normal petrol only Civics.

EDIT:Saw this comment at PaulTan.

4G63T DSM said,
August 2, 2007 @ 7:40 am

Hybrids wont really take off here. Unless there is a substantial tax reduction on them, they will never be competitive since they come in at a much higher price.

I do not recall the price of this version in North America, but the last one was about 3-4k USD more than the equivalant model. Thats 10K ringgit. Thats a lot of petrol you can buy.

Honda hybrids are IMA. They are not “full” hybrids and can’t move on electric power alone. To make matters worst, most of us use air con on full blast all the time anyway so the hybrid’s engine will not turn off negating one of its most fuel saving feature.

Previous poster was right on the money when he said that as long as Proton and Perodua does not have a hybrid in the market, the government will NEVER give substantial incentives to bring in cheaper hybrids.
Apparently, Honda hybrids can't move on electric alone unlike the Toyota Hybrids. Which makes it even worse.

Last edited:

Edward Chew

1,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
www.facebook.com
Wow... You have enlighted me on this technology... Now my hope on getting a real fuel saving car has dropped again... :(
And more after reading this one... haha... ai...
Integrated Motor Assist - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And if it is selling for RM160k... then really not that worth it la... comparing to a civic 2.0 at RM128k which i still have RM32k of balance for petrol. haha. RM32k!!! of petrol. Can use many many many years

So Toyota Prius is still the best huh??? It was selling for RM70k in US last time. But im sure it won't be RM70k in malaysia... sad...

Anyway, if we talk about saving the earth or consuming lesser fuel, then this is a very great effort by Honda and should be supported... but we as a malaysian, where got money to support??? income tax... ai...

Last edited:

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
I remember Fifth Gear did a test between 3 of the most economical cars sold in Britain at the time, the Daihatsu Charade (yes the model which the Perodua Viva is based on), the Toyota Prius and a Citroen C2 diesel.

After some brisk driving, the result are thus;
Most economical: Citroen C2 diesel
2nd: Toyota Prius
3rd: Daihatsu Charade

Modern diesels blow almost anything away when it comes to fuel economy. And they have mountains on torque which make daily driving a breeze. The thing of note is that the Prius and the Charade ain't too far off from each other.

So the verdict about hybrids? Well, I've read a lot of people say that it is a stop gap measure, a temporary solution to "greener" commuting. Basically its the only sort of greenish technology that is more viable for mass production.

You should also see Clarkson totally rip into the Prius on Top Gear. The thing is, a lot of people buy the Prius to make a sort of social statement instead of actually being green. Its a "Look at me, I'm being green" sort of thing. The Prius is so successful, compared to other hybrid models, because its the most obvious hybrid. There's no petrol or diesel version of the Prius. If you see one, you know its a hybrid.

Edward Chew

1,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
www.facebook.com
But somehow top gear is more into entertainment la... hahaha. And yup. Clarkson even said that the new S-class 350 is more enviromental friendly than the Toyota Prius because of the recycled materials used in the S-Class.

And, but... if i have the money, i Want to support the "greener" car... but of course i can't... now...

Lennon

1,000 RPM
Apr 11, 2005
Toyota Prius uses the fact that Electric motor generates more torque and efficiency during acceleration, but not at constant speed.... So when Prius was accelerating, electric motor kicks in, while at constant speed petrol engine will charge the battery..... Prius can go as much as 1000km per fueling.... If only Honda can show it's km per liter....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I wanna put eicbach lowering springs with stock abs on my kelisa. Anyone has done this b4?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience