Higher compression vs Lower compression pistons

Hadi17

Known Member
Dec 13, 2010
Johor
guys ! I planned to change my Evo 3 pistons to a higher compression pistons like the 2JZ pistons ..
but recently i heard that higher compression pistons are no good for higher boost..:hmmmm:
if like that why some people convert their pistons to higher compression pistons ? what are the pros and cons of this higher and lower compression piston ?:mad:

need some help here ..:vollkommenauf:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Higher compression will make more power but if combined with high boost, you'll break the pistons/rods/crank etc. as the actual compression after boost becomes too high. That's why high boost needs lower compression.

High compression more suited for N/A engines, or low boost application (even that has to be coupled with careful engine management). If your engine is GDI, then it can have higher compression since the risk of detonation is much less.

Engine sifus here can CMIIW though since my knowledge is very limited on the surface only. :biggrin:

Hadi17

Known Member
Dec 13, 2010
Johor
Higher compression will make more power but if combined with high boost, you'll break the pistons/rods/crank etc. as the actual compression after boost becomes too high. That's why high boost needs lower compression.

High compression more suited for N/A engines, or low boost application (even that has to be coupled with careful engine management). If your engine is GDI, then it can have higher compression since the risk of detonation is much less.

Engine sifus here can CMIIW though since my knowledge is very limited on the surface only. :biggrin:
thnxs bro .. even its limited i still admire that ..:adore:
thnxs !

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
The total compression (dynamic) would be higher (so high), unless you're lowering the boost...

Static compression creates more heat..prone to detonation...air compress by compressor (as in turbo) would go through intercooler (or at least long enough route to be cooled slightly)...

For the same total compression, lower static compression would give better detonation elimination...but peakier torque curve (higher boost threshold)..higher static compression (low boost) would give better torque curve, but require more care for detonation..

But normally manufacturer just go for bigger engine low boost...or low static ratio and low boost..so no problem here...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I have seen these new LED lights used for brake lights, but not for signal or reverse. Interested to do one for my car, but my knowledege in LEDs is very limited, close to zero I'd say! Rear light cluster to be modified is from Honda EG hatchback.

Yeah, I know that WRC Sunway sells a rear light cluster set with LED brake lights for EG, but the set looks so bengz! I intend to reuse the original EG hatchback light cluster cover, but with rows of LEDs replacing the bulbs used for brake...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience