HICAS Diagnostics

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Several days ago, someone approached me on Facebook asking for help with the HICAS problem in his BNR34. After eliminating the obvious such as wheels not being straight while battery was disconnected/reconnected and a few others, I suggested he attempt the self-diagnostic mode to determine which HICAS problem specifically by observing error codes shown.

I told him I'd yet to do it myself since never been faced with such a problem but will try my best to find out how its done and guide him through it. Much to his credit, he managed to get the car into diagnostic mode and even managed to videotape the flashes produced by the HICAS warning light. Unfortunately, he never once did mention that the RPM meter was not working at all and only found out about it when he sent video.

Having viewed the video, it seems to me that the problem is related to the engine speed sensor and the reason behind my conclusion is the fact that the RPM meter does not work even when replaced by another unit and secondly the flashing lights which I believe correspond to 33 Engine fault code signal.

I hope for someone to help confirm which code the diagnostics mode seems to be displaying. I've attached the instructions followed by the video below:

R34 GT-R Hicas Diagnostic
Self Diagnostic Procedure

1. Start the engine

2. Within 10 seconds after turning the key to 'ON', start the engine, turn steering wheel from left to right 20 degrees from neutral 5 times or more times & pump the brakes 5 times. Then press the brake pedal again to enter the test mode.

Diagnostic Item Input

1. Move the vehicle one or two meters at a very low speed

2. Turn the steering wheel more than 20 deg right to left once or more.

The HICAS dash light will flash a code indicating any problems. Long flash is first digit, short flash is 2nd digit.

Diagnostic Item

11 Control unit

12 Motor power supply

13 Motor output

21 Vehicle sped signal

22 Steering angle signal

23 Steering angle netural signal

24 Rear steering angle main sensor signal

25 Rear steering angle sub-sensor signal

33 Engine speed signal

41 Yaw rate signal

‪HICAS Diagnostics.mp4‬‏ - YouTube

bnr_32

500 RPM
Apr 15, 2005
JOHOR BAHRU
pimpin the code showing error 33.. so its engine speed signal error.. ask him to swap his CAS.. if still not working check the CAS wiring continuity to ECU (pin 4 CAS to pin 41 ECU & pin 3 CAS to pin 42 ECU).. also check pin 2 CAS for power and pin 1 CAS for earth

Attachments

Last edited:

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
pimpin the code showing error 33.. so its engine speed signal error.. ask him to swap his CAS.. if still not working check the CAS wiring continuity to ECU (pin 4 CAS to pin 41 ECU & pin 3 CAS to pin 42 ECU).. also check pin 2 CAS for power and pin 1 CAS for earth
Thanks bro, good to know that I managed to talk him through the first part but also relieved to have someone confirm that its Code 33. I'll try to get him to do the above. Thanks bro! :adore: