Help.... My car can't start when engine is hot. 3s-FE

sy_omar

Jul 26, 2005
Kinrara
Dear Sifu,

Hope anybody can help me. My car is Corona ST171, 3s-fe 2.0 Auto. Here is the situation:

My car can start if:

a. Morning/Afternoon/evening or anytime. As long I leave my car overnight.

b. After going somewhere, leave my car at covered parking for 1-3hours.

But My car cant start if:

a. After I travel more than 15min (engine hot), I switch off my car. Need to wait more than a hour to start back my car.

-If i on ACC ... no engine check light.
-After 1/2 hour, engine check light on, but cant start.
-More than An our, engine check light on, car can start.

During start my car sound normal, got crank, but plug no ignite. I change distributor also same problem.

If anybody willing to help me, or I can swap electronic part for while for testing, I really apreciated.

sy_omar

Jul 26, 2005
Kinrara
Re: Help.... My car can start when engine is hot. 3s-FE

After i start... I can travel kl to jb... non stop... no problem at all... as long I didnt switch offmy engine. If i switch off my engine, I need to wait 1-3hrs ... then can start my engine.

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

Anybody have Vacumm sensor aka MAP sensor.. pls pm me. tq

corona_ice

Apr 19, 2006
sunway city
bro...it sounds like a starter contact point problem... last time for my old engine, after travelling and the engine is hot, it won't start till it cools down.... to temporary solve this i always did 2 things...
1) press the ignition cable from the distributor properly in... sumtimes loose...
2) knock the starter a few times coz the carbon brushes is finishing or dirty i think, than i can start it immediately! i don't know if it will coz a problem, but at least that is how i found out that i needed to change my starter motor!:biggrin:

rozman

Sep 3, 2009
is there any sound during u try start ur car bro...if no..check ur starter cable connector at starter coil..cz maybe it loose...

suma_

Jun 3, 2005
DU
you may run diagnose find out for any error code (can find some info from google). worse case - faulty ECU

sy_omar

Jul 26, 2005
Kinrara
crank sound like normal... but cant start.
I try change other distributor ... also cannot.
Anybody have ecu for 3sfe?
Pls ask ur mechanic, if they have diagnostic computer to check 3s-fe, ST171

Thanks in advance.

DAWS? u know how to solved it?

danny_rigid

Oct 7, 2004
www.epmotorclub.com
3s-fe not very sure.............must check and see first!

glanza

Nov 2, 2005
kl/kelate
it sems like what happened to my cousin's mazda B6..his problem was becos of using RON95 fuel..hard to believe but after he changed to ron97 his car can run normally.

TRD.AE92

Apr 10, 2009
May i know, when cannot start the engine... Did the starter work?
If no, it may be the electronic starter or coil got problem.
If yes, I not sure but I guess is ECU.

chinozie

Very Young Member... :D
Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
bro...it sounds like a starter contact point problem... last time for my old engine, after travelling and the engine is hot, it won't start till it cools down.... to temporary solve this i always did 2 things...
1) press the ignition cable from the distributor properly in... sumtimes loose...
2) knock the starter a few times coz the carbon brushes is finishing or dirty i think, than i can start it immediately! i don't know if it will coz a problem, but at least that is how i found out that i needed to change my starter motor!:biggrin:
I couldn't agree more...
the car just won't start if it's hot...

when the car won't start...try to push start it...i'm sure it will start (for sure maaa...crank start) ...

netmatrix

P Jaya:Malaysia
kh_tan.tripod.com
You said can crank, that means the starter will spin. But the engine would not start. It has to be electrical already. If there is only "tak" "tak" sound when you start, that is usually the starter carbon finish or dirty already. That can be serviced.

If electrical, i would also think its ECU or coil. Sometimes computer board can run nicely cold, but cannot so after it is warmed up. The coil is also the same problem. I only faced the coil problem before. But 3S uses coil over plugs right? Maybe can borrow someones coil packs to try.

sy_omar

Jul 26, 2005
Kinrara
It can crank like normal... check plug ... no spark. already chang distributor... same problem.

Volkswagen has big plans, really big plans. So ambitious that even the mighty Toyota get caught in between the crosshair's of VW's board. VW hopes to catch up to Toyota by 2018 with 10 million sales. Volkswagen tallied up 5,7 million sales in 2006.

Key to the VW plans are four new architectures, of which the transverse-engined MQB platform will be a cornerstone. The MQB platform will be used for small, lower-medium and upper-medium models, possibly totalling a grand total of 6 million cars...