HELP: Getting a MR-S

rx8dorifto

Jun 24, 2009
Hi abang beradik here,

I'm planning to get a MR-S. Changing from RX8. Wanted a lightweight car with "enough" to use power.

But looking at the spec of MR-S 140hp...it's kind of disappointing. But heard that it's possible to swap the engine to more powerful Celica VVTL-i engine which the engine looks remain the same :) Is this possible?

Not intended to turbo it, prefer NA feel.

Last edited:

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
Do take note that TS prefer NA engine, NOT turbo!

khoo198

1,500 RPM
Feb 11, 2009
N9
Last edited:

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
must cuba 140whp 975kg MR-S, then your opinion will change.

Kev_Vin

From Facebook
Aug 25, 2010
kl
2zz celica engine is enough for mrs to swap powerfull enough d even lotus is using the engine.:burnout:

rx8dorifto

Jun 24, 2009
2zz celica engine is enough for mrs to swap powerfull enough d even lotus is using the engine.:burnout:
thanks all for the responses.

When swapping to 2zz, how about the gearbox? re-use the stock 5mt?

Or have to swap to the 2zz gearbox as it matches for higher rpm. But isn't 2zz is for FF car, is swapping with the gearbox to MR possible?

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
you wont get much response here on zth on 2zz swap because there is only 2 (was 3) MR-S with 2zz, 1 MR-S with 3SGTE, 1 MR-S with K20a in malaysia.

there are tons of such info on the web. even hundreds pages on goggle. even you tube/best motoring has the both 2zz & k20a mr-s tearing the hill drives.

you have to remember if you haven't even tasted 140hp on wheel, you havent even getting to like midship. there are over 100 posters before who would say I want, i want but really quite clueless even with begin.

get the car, blend & know the limits. even when i had 140hp with good suspension i kept monsters double the horsepower at bay. its pointless to wish for everything under the sun, only with real desire, you move forward.

wkt300

May 26, 2009
agree. belum cuba belum tau, sekali cuba tiap tiap hari mau.

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
rx8dorifto, i would recommend a joint drive with some of us. a combo of NA, turbo.
we arent the type that will put some numbers & gloat all over the net.

at they end of the days its just numbers, & certainly sometimes doesnt reflect it.

rx8dorifto

Jun 24, 2009
i just worried that this will end up like the RX8 i'm having...RX8 is a good car to learn, but after maximizing the limit, i start looking for a more powerful car...

wanted to try a MR car. Lotus is out of my reach, that's why looking for MRS. If 2zz can be found/done easily, then it will be my perfect ride.

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
i just worried that this will end up like the RX8 i'm having...RX8 is a good car to learn, but after maximizing the limit, i start looking for a more powerful car...

wanted to try a MR car. Lotus is out of my reach, that's why looking for MRS. If 2zz can be found/done easily, then it will be my perfect ride.
FYI, a mildly modded MR-S, ie good suspension kit, member braces, anti roll, exhaust & a 4-1 manifold is enough to give you endless grin.

when it reachs a point you have done (push) enough on 1zz, there is then 2zz (NA) or 1zz turbo
OR supercharged 2zz. the list is endless.

stock; on-wheel 2zz will throw you into 16X whp. with $$$ the NA can throw you into 2XXwhp.
you can work out the maths once you consider the car weight.

most owners who prefer not to do much with the car usually end up not keep with it. if you been addicted to midengined layout, its really hard to move into other platform, unless you are those type who are more addicted to boosts (turbo).

used lotus S1 (rover engine) isnt too expensive; rated [118hp], several owner have upgraded to Elise S2 (toyota engine), even the new Lotus S uses 1zz engine. its quite lively but in the range of the golf & civic type R.

of course there will be a limit in any car once you already max pushing, it goes without saying the limiting factor is the displacement. how max is max can one could go with RX8? they will cay as deep as your pocket allows.

While you cannot discount civics (loads of aftermarket), MX5 (another loads of aftermarket), etc

The good factor for drive enthusiast is always to look out for a buildable good platform. if u understand midship, mid engined layout, the ZZW30 MR-S is one such example.

if your heart is into enjoying it (drive), dont worry about what & how much hp you can gain. it will come. adding Hp is only how deep is your pocket.