hard to shift to 2nd gear

ONEshot_3121

Jan 21, 2006
selangor
Bro try to switch 1st-2nd gear in 2k rpm and below, you will find it no problem. But if you switch to 2nd gear in 3k rpm, then problem arise.
Mine still like that for more than 3 months d after i changed my gear oil to redline. I got no idea what is going on. Have you change your gear oil as well?
bro is it happen when ur aircond is on??how about when turn off ur aircond??still the same???(switch to 2nd gear in 3k rpm)...how about if u press half clutch in between floor mate and when clutch is start to engaged??still got the sounds??mine only happen hard to shift but no sound appear...i thought maybe im new for this type of gear(b4 driving auto car n nasional car:proud:) but still different in terms of gear switching compare when ur driving non-turbo manual car...just my 2 kupang...cheers

clanzkiller

1,000 RPM
Oct 31, 2006
If air con is on, then the problem is very often.
If air con is off, then the problem arise less often.

If i pressed half clutch, the clutch wil engage d, but cannot switch gear of course.

Is not about the sound actually bro, is the hardness of switching gear. sometimes it can't even enter 2nd gear, so i have to from 1st gear -> free gear -> 2nd gear. instead of 1st->2nd.

skyboy

500 RPM
Jul 30, 2006
KUL
could be gear oil issue never had this problem after i change my clucth and gear oil.. Any advice on Which brand is good for gear oil and Ayc?

ONEshot_3121

Jan 21, 2006
selangor
If air con is on, then the problem is very often.
If air con is off, then the problem arise less often.

If i pressed half clutch, the clutch wil engage d, but cannot switch gear of course.

Is not about the sound actually bro, is the hardness of switching gear. sometimes it can't even enter 2nd gear, so i have to from 1st gear -> free gear -> 2nd gear. instead of 1st->2nd.
ooo ic..ic..mine also sometimes got sound but never so hard compare with u still can enter 2nd gear...hurm are u using redline gearbox oil??what is the viscosity??im using redline too MT-90 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil..refer this site for ur information

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Gear Oil for Manual Transmissions - MT-90 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil

and

http://www.coordsport.com/attachments/oil-evo-4-10.pdf

hope it will help..cheers

clanzkiller

1,000 RPM
Oct 31, 2006
could be gear oil issue never had this problem after i change my clucth and gear oil.. Any advice on Which brand is good for gear oil and Ayc?
ooo ic..ic..mine also sometimes got sound but never so hard compare with u still can enter 2nd gear...hurm are u using redline gearbox oil??what is the viscosity??im using redline too MT-90 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil..refer this site for ur information

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Gear Oil for Manual Transmissions - MT-90 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil

and

http://www.coordsport.com/attachments/oil-evo-4-10.pdf

hope it will help..cheers
Yeah, the problem arise after i change to redline gear oil.
Redline MT90 for front, 75w140 for transfer case and rear differential.

ONEshot_3121

Jan 21, 2006
selangor
Yeah, the problem arise after i change to redline gear oil.
Redline MT90 for front, 75w140 for transfer case and rear differential.

my personal opinion maybe 75w140 too thick for ur car :hmmmm: maybe should try less than that but of course ur mileage interval of changing oil will decrease due to thin viscosity...sifus correct me if im wrong...im also still in learning here..:driver:

Off topic...if u want to see which products is certified by American Petroleum Institute this is the link API EOLCS actually redline oil is not in the list...already change the oil..so what to do just using untill next change will switch to motul or mobil 1..this is just for engine oil..dunno if its apply for gear oil also:adore:..just sharing the info..:listen:

swift2510

Known Member
Aug 13, 2008
It's the the gear oil incompatible with the synchros causing hard shift. Check whether your gear box calls for GL-4 or GL-5 spec oil. Bear in mind that a gearbox that calls for GL-4 must not use GL-5 spec oil due to the EP content of GL-5 oil wears out the synchros. Revert to 75W90 that is GL-4 grade before more damage is done. If the damage is too extensive due to prolong use of GL-5 oil, you may have to change the damage synchros first.

clanzkiller

1,000 RPM
Oct 31, 2006
It's the the gear oil incompatible with the synchros causing hard shift. Check whether your gear box calls for GL-4 or GL-5 spec oil. Bear in mind that a gearbox that calls for GL-4 must not use GL-5 spec oil due to the EP content of GL-5 oil wears out the synchros. Revert to 75W90 that is GL-4 grade before more damage is done. If the damage is too extensive due to prolong use of GL-5 oil, you may have to change the damage synchros first.
I checked with the manual book, even it is written in japanese, but i can see the words GL-4 there. MT 90 is a GL-4 oil as well.

Oh sorry i got a mistake there.
I'm using MT90 GL-4 for transmission, 75w90 for transfer and rear diff.

swift2510

Known Member
Aug 13, 2008
Seems like there's a lot of negative feedback on the Redline MT-90. Personally, a friend's Civic with LSD also experience hard shift especially when it's cold. Noticeably the 2nd gear. According to him, the issue didn't surface immediately when he first poured in the MT90. It was a gradual 'degradation' kinda thing. Fortunately he had spare transaxle lying around. Exchanged it and jalan dulu while he sent the problematic one for repair.

ONEshot_3121

Jan 21, 2006
selangor
Seems like there's a lot of negative feedback on the Redline MT-90. Personally, a friend's Civic with LSD also experience hard shift especially when it's cold. Noticeably the 2nd gear. According to him, the issue didn't surface immediately when he first poured in the MT90. It was a gradual 'degradation' kinda thing. Fortunately he had spare transaxle lying around. Exchanged it and jalan dulu while he sent the problematic one for repair.
bro mind to share how many time ur friend had using the redline gearbox oil??:hmmmm:ill probably will change mine using motul after this raya..anyway thx for ur info:adore:..cheers

---------- Post added at 03:09 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:56 AM ----------

Motul has always been loyal to me as me to it.. Never let me down :) abit pricy thou..
Bro care to share what is ur current viscosity for ur motul oil gearbox??and how much its cost??thx in advance

pangyau

1,000 RPM
Oct 17, 2009
Malaysia
ONEshot_3121,

I used Motul all the way:-
1) Manual Transmission: Motul Motyl Gear 75W-90 (2.2L)
2) Transfer Box: Motul Gear Competition 75W-140 (0.6L)
3) Rear Axle: Motul Gear Competition 75W-140 (0.6L)
4) AYC: Mitsubishi Dia-Queen ATF SPIII (1.6L)

Hope this might helps & U might need more for flushing the fluids...
Syukur till today, no problem with this product for my ride (My friends also like it)

Last edited:

ONEshot_3121

Jan 21, 2006
selangor
pangyau,

i see...anyway thx for ur info it might usefull to me:adore:..the previous owner just change the gearbox oil using redline...so it consider new but then im still worried since a lot of negative feedback about redline gear oil:hmmmm:..alhamdulillah till today nothing happen to my car...so far so good..maybe im not familiar with this switching gear due to sometimes a bit hard to shift...sayangla nak shift gear ganas2 still in soft mood :biggrin:

pangyau

1,000 RPM
Oct 17, 2009
Malaysia
ONEshot_3121,
No need to worries. Readline also a good product.
As long you are using the correct viscosity Insyallah nothing goes wrong.

clanzkiller,
Regarding the "noise" kindly share what brand of belting you used?
It happened to me also when I change to Power Enterprise (both belting).
Annoying sound and very loud. The mechanic claim the tensioner too tight but not.
Then he apply some sort of liquid on the belting and left it runs for awhile.
The "noise" gone and came back after few days....

Finally, I change to OEM belting & problem solve.

clanzkiller

1,000 RPM
Oct 31, 2006
ONEshot_3121,
No need to worries. Readline also a good product.
As long you are using the correct viscosity Insyallah nothing goes wrong.

clanzkiller,
Regarding the "noise" kindly share what brand of belting you used?
It happened to me also when I change to Power Enterprise (both belting).
Annoying sound and very loud. The mechanic claim the tensioner too tight but not.
Then he apply some sort of liquid on the belting and left it runs for awhile.
The "noise" gone and came back after few days....

Finally, I change to OEM belting & problem solve.
The noise occurred while i trying to switch from 1st to 2nd gear. Is like, 'gruk gruk' then engaged.
Belt? for timing belt, still using OEM, haven't change yet. For serpentine/fan belt, i'm using the bando. I don think the noise from the clutch/gearbox is going to do anything with the belt?
cause it only occurred on 1st-2nd gear. Other all fine, very fine.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all. My wife's car (MyVi 1.3) was drowned in the flash flood last week. The water level was up to the coin drawer(I don't really know what it was called). The car was parked when it was sank. After the flood I've tried to start the engine but failed. Does any of otai here have any idea what's the problem since the Perodua Service Centre quoted me RM16k to repair the car(I rather go to other workshop than paying that RM16k). Any recommend for trustworthy & good workmanship workshop(with...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience