GSR going 4 street-spec/time attack machine..

amel666

Known Member
Jul 24, 2008
K.L
Guru, need advise

what should i do to make my 1.8 4g93t GSR (stock intrnal) a street-spec/time attack machine??
i've decide to take the short route of up-ping the power with bigger turbine(GT28). I have all the groundwork laid out (MLS h.gasket, manual boost con, xternal wgate, e-manage,fuel system) only 510cc injectors needed now b4 go tune/boost up.

The snail's already inside.
-Now boost only kicks in >4500rpm onwards.
-wastegate (38mm Tial) only open silghtly.
-the pull ain't so hard.
Is it normal b4 tuning??
what's the cause and possible solution..:hmmmm:

Bump: Bummpppp... how's everybody's labour day??

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
The tuning can help abit when u advance the ignition a little.

NFS

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
bigger turbine need to up boost to actually feel the pull ... I don't know bout GT28 but if using TD05 u need to boost min 1 bar to feel the pull ... i believe this somewhat the reason for your wastegate to open slightly (not enuff boost)...

go tuning 1st then share the results ... :)

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
bigger turbine need to up boost to actually feel the pull ... I don't know bout GT28 but if using TD05 u need to boost min 1 bar to feel the pull ... i believe this somewhat the reason for your wastegate to open slightly (not enuff boost)...

go tuning 1st then share the results ... :)
TD05 stock boost at 0.9bars... Nothing much with the boost actually... Tunning...

jaydee

Known Member
Jul 5, 2005
Subang Jaya
About your wastegate, you have to tell us your boost and how many bar spring tial you usin'...

About the 'pull' I too believe in a way it plays a part at the boost level...
Eg NFS said TD05 needs to boost at least 1 bar..

For example: TD05 boosting at 0.8 bar feels less 'pull' than td04 at 0.7 bar...
And more 'pull' feeling sometimes doesn't mean more power/ faster... :)

Make sure the fuel is sufficient when upboosting.
Other than that of course you have to tune your 'software' when your 'hardware' is complete. :burnout:

NFS

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
up boost ... sufficient oil ... appropriate size of coolers and pipings ... this all part of hardware tune and upgrades ...

done all this ... go re-tune your e-manage

ps: W/gate is to let go excessive exhaust gas ... if your boost is insufficient how those tial gonna release more gas? No worries bro ... all these are normal ... Happy Modding!!! Do share us on the results :)

Hey Jaydee, how's your monster going?

amel666

Known Member
Jul 24, 2008
K.L
the boost only get as high as 0.9bar..
So maybe the fuel/ignition mapping & inj. duty-cycle for the previous setup just coldn't support the additional airflow rite..
Anyhow Just bought me evo 4 injectors today. Gonna tune soon, probably set the boost to 1.3-1.5(max). I'll remember to advance the igni.timg too. Thanx 4 the support guys :driver:
Will share the result of this setup.

PS:Guys, i'm considering - Does swapping frm stock GSR to a 60mm/evo T.body makes any difference HP-wise and response-wise?

jaydee

Known Member
Jul 5, 2005
Subang Jaya
the boost only get as high as 0.9bar..
So maybe the fuel/ignition mapping & inj. duty-cycle for the previous setup just coldn't support the additional airflow rite..
Anyhow Just bought me evo 4 injectors today. Gonna tune soon, probably set the boost to 1.3-1.5(max). I'll remember to advance the igni.timg too. Thanx 4 the support guys :driver:
Will share the result of this setup.

PS:Guys, i'm considering - Does swapping frm stock GSR to a 60mm/evo T.body makes any difference HP-wise and response-wise?
Its good that you got some higher CC injectors, but I believe Evo 1-3 injectors should be sufficient. I'm not sure on Evo 4 injectors, how high is the CC, probably just about 30 -40cc higher.

Good idea to change to 60mm TB.. much better airflow & smoother feeling (on my car at least).. remember to match port your manifold...
I'm not sure whether you've already change your MAF to Evo's... but its also another basic thing that is good to do.

NFS : My snail ok la... standard mended only... nothing much hehe... :biggrin:

NFS

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
bro amel ... looking at the pace you're going i think its better and safer for you to plan and upgrade your internal (if you have the dough)

then you can boost 1.5 bar with no worries ... get JD contact and he'll lead you the way and if he's out of idea, there's a lot of gsr sifus out there which i believe our JD still hv contact with ...

haappy modding bro :)

JD: miss the times lepaking with u guys ... good to know your monster(stended konon) is okay ... ehehhe

amel666

Known Member
Jul 24, 2008
K.L
Bro JD,
Yes i'm using evo's 609 MAF, but am thinking of changing to a 3-bar MAP.

Bro NFS.
bout d internals.. it costs a whole lot more to strngthen the insides. Coz to upgrade the inside, might as well change all related parts.. eg: forged piston & rods, Main/conRod bearings & ARP studs. BUT all need lotta dough. :banghead:

BTW; which parts of the internal parts should i swap first - cost effectively?

edmunz85

1,000 RPM
May 4, 2006
hi gsrians...i'm another owner of gsr....been using for 3years plus....seen most of da probs b4 coz my fren oso own 1....well boosting 1.5bar with stock internal is just to risky....my fren blew his engine trying to do so....1st factor is ur internals....2nd most important is the tuning....bad tuner can blow ur engine instantly....even if u strengthen ur internals....must run it for atleast 10000km to be save....my fren blew his gsr twice coz run only 5000km...jus my experience....well me just changed td04hl n boosting 0.6 after rebuild block....not so fast but jus nice for me....i reccomend u change evo lsd gearbox....

jaydee

Known Member
Jul 5, 2005
Subang Jaya
amel : Seems like you're modding your car to another level.
Its more than 'street' spec already man.. hehe.. :)

amel666

Known Member
Jul 24, 2008
K.L
If mitsubishi made GSR's internals stronger i wouldnt have 2 bother bout this issue..at least for a while.

JD -
my street spec like that la bro.. a bit too much rite :biggrin:. just dat i ambitiously wanna try to do it rite, the first time.

edmundz -
i was thinking of getting a 1.5way LSD insert just change to evo's final-drive only.. But now my 1st gear kick back la.. dunno the reason yet. The drivetrain upgrade have to wait la.
I understand the risk & consequences of boosting high.. but unless i boost high, will face compressor surge.. my tuner's previous mapping was quite satisfying, hope he can tune the new map for my current setup would be able to squeez sum HP and still be reliable(wont KABOOM). Until then those JE/Eagle/ACL would hav to wait, unless out of nowhere a tuning shop sponsor the barang :rofl: