Getting prepared for a race

X.O

Known Member
Aug 19, 2010
Penang
Hey guys any tips for a first timer going on a race?

My hatch is completely stock.

Im actually planning to go for a race somewhere early this november but im a little worried my 1.3 fuel injected hatch may face parts wear and tear problem due to old age during the race if i force it too much. But its a race so u gotta drag it alot. Its 10 years old already btw.

So guys out there, feel free do drop advices on what maintainance should be done for my standard engine so that i will not encounter problems later during the race. Do share with me tips for racing too heh.

Please help me out here.

Thanks in advance for advices guys! Have a good day =)

Last edited:

series5401

Known Member
Aug 14, 2010
Kuching

Im actually planning to go for a race somewhere early this november but im a little worried my 1.3 fuel injected hatch may face parts wear and tear problem due to old age during the race if i force it too much. But its a race so u gotta drag it alot. Its 10 years old already btw.

So guys out there, feel free do drop advices on what maintainance should be done for my standard engine so that i will not encounter problems later during the race. Do share with me tips for racing too heh.

Please help me out here.

try to play arround b4 u race.. if your confident with your car, then u play.. but if the car is not properly maintained, better dont.. i race and i lost but i happy.. ahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..

X.O

Known Member
Aug 19, 2010
Penang
try to play arround b4 u race.. if your confident with your car, then u play.. but if the car is not properly maintained, better dont.. i race and i lost but i happy.. ahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..
haha yeah i know i know. I am pretty confident actually. But at the same time i've gotta be aware that my car is pretty old as well as the parts. Things may seem well to do but we nvr know what may go wrong. Old part are still old. They have life spend. Thats what im worried about laa haha.

Well so are up for another race sometime soon? I dont actually care if i lose. Experience is what matters. But my goals slowly laa haha. Thanks for sharing anyway =)

Last edited:

series5401

Known Member
Aug 14, 2010
Kuching
haha yeah i know i know. I am pretty confident actually. But at the same time i've gotta be aware that my car is pretty old as well as the parts. Things may seem well to do but we nvr know what may go wrong. Old part are still old. They have life spend. Thats what im worried about laa haha.

Well so are up for another race sometime soon? I dont actually care if i lose. Experience is what matters. But my goals slowly laa haha. Thanks for sharing anyway =)
try ask your foreman to check everything.. haha.. done dat b4 as my car reach 6 years.. many part need to replace.. n major overhole.. huhu..tidious..

X.O

Known Member
Aug 19, 2010
Penang
try ask your foreman to check everything.. haha.. done dat b4 as my car reach 6 years.. many part need to replace.. n major overhole.. huhu..tidious..
Yeah i know, thanks =) but sometimes u cant just listen to one person. I would like to gather opinions and seek the best solution hehe. And besides some mechanic may not be very familiar with the smaller part like the parts inside the throttle body(eg: gear inside). And they are likely to be lazy to even open up the parts to identify which part is spoilt when a certain part is filthy. They normally say that this or that is spoilt. Still can use... change it when its totally spoilt. So its kinda costly for me but if there no other solution then no choice lo right haha.

Overhole is a good idea but kinda costly. Im trying weight what else can be done haha. Thanks for sharing anyway dude! Have fun with your ride ya! cheers =)

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site

Please help me out here.

what race??... drag race??.. circuit racing??...

if drag race, jz make sure ur engine and transmission in good health... learn where is ur max hp/torque in ur rev band so u can utilize it during launch and upshift.... use good tyres and reasonable suspension... play with tyre pressure as it affects ur grip during launch...

if circuit racing, there's lot more to take into concern... engine, transmission, tyres, brakes, suspension, etc... good tyre (semislick preferred), good brakes and good suspension helps alot even though u lack of power.... polish ur driving skill more on how to attack corners with maximum control.... learn where is ur threshold braking and control it under late hard braking....

X.O

Known Member
Aug 19, 2010
Penang

if drag race, jz make sure ur engine and transmission in good health... learn where is ur max hp/torque in ur rev band so u can utilize it during launch and upshift.... use good tyres and reasonable suspension... play with tyre pressure as it affects ur grip during launch...

if circuit racing, there's lot more to take into concern... engine, transmission, tyres, brakes, suspension, etc... good tyre (semislick preferred), good brakes and good suspension helps alot even though u lack of power.... polish ur driving skill more on how to attack corners with maximum control.... learn where is ur threshold braking and control it under late hard braking....
Thanks skywalker. Regarding suspension, could u suggest an ideal upgraded suspension currently in the market for my 1.3 fuel injected hatch? And also explain to me a lil more about transmission wise. The rest of the following i have done. Its a circuit race btw. =)

series5401

Known Member
Aug 14, 2010
Kuching
Yeah i know, thanks =) but sometimes u cant just listen to one person. I would like to gather opinions and seek the best solution hehe. And besides some mechanic may not be very familiar with the smaller part like the parts inside the throttle body(eg: gear inside). And they are likely to be lazy to even open up the parts to identify which part is spoilt when a certain part is filthy. They normally say that this or that is spoilt. Still can use... change it when its totally spoilt. So its kinda costly for me but if there no other solution then no choice lo right haha.

Overhole is a good idea but kinda costly. Im trying weight what else can be done haha. Thanks for sharing anyway dude! Have fun with your ride ya! cheers =)
ya.. we need to ask many oppinion on that.. eheheee.. mechanic bz? i cant answer anything for that.. if im u, seek for a good mechanic which is recomended by your friend or the mechanic is your trusted friend.. eheheeee.. then stick on that person, like i do.. a fren of mine did all off my car work.. eheheee..

btw, if your saying your driving a stock car, mayb you shoul try to upgrade ur exhaust system and air induction for a starter.. eehheheheee.. later, if u still not satisfied, then u upgrade this and that.. many parts can b upgraded to efi.. but, if you really wana race and be a racer, swap your engine with a really power engine.. eheheheeee.. eheheheee..

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

bro, talking bout suspension.. wat type of suspension is good for drag and circuit? eheheeee..

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
Thanks skywalker. Regarding suspension, could u suggest an ideal upgraded suspension currently in the market for my 1.3 fuel injected hatch? And also explain to me a lil more about transmission wise. The rest of the following i have done. Its a circuit race btw. =)
1.3 hatch is what car??...

well, there is no suspension which is plug and race... suspension needs fine tuning to match the setting of the car and the circuit u gonna race... hence, best to get high/low soft/hard coilovers.... make sure suspension is firm enough and will withstand the trashing at the circuit....

transmission... get racing clutch plate n cover for a start... oem organic clutch plate will not withstand the punishment of circuit racing... it will soon slip after a couple of laps... of coz there are much more to do, given there is no budget limitation....

series5401

Known Member
Aug 14, 2010
Kuching
1.3 hatch is what car??...

well, there is no suspension which is plug and race... suspension needs fine tuning to match the setting of the car and the circuit u gonna race... hence, best to get high/low soft/hard coilovers.... make sure suspension is firm enough and will withstand the trashing at the circuit....

transmission... get racing clutch plate n cover for a start... oem organic clutch plate will not withstand the punishment of circuit racing... it will soon slip after a couple of laps... of coz there are much more to do, given there is no budget limitation....
bro, in this case.. wat if from changing to racing clutch, change to bigger cc clutch.. like 1.3 to 1.6?

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
bro, in this case.. wat if from changing to racing clutch, change to bigger cc clutch.. like 1.3 to 1.6?
if u can afford bigger racing clutch plate better lor.... coz the material used can withstand higher temperature... it also provides better grip on the flywheel...

X.O

Known Member
Aug 19, 2010
Penang
Skywalker..

Oh sorry for not mentioning hah. My hatch is a 1.3 satria. Im not very familiar with what type of suspension suits my car best in order to withstand trashing in the circuit just like u mentioned. What suspension would u recommend for this car?

oh btw im actually planning to go for the kampung gajah track race in perak. Are u familiar with this track? From what i heard this track has alot of cornering... err so which set of clutch upgrade would be ideal as well as its approximate cost?

Thanks! =)

Series...

My mechanic is my neighbour so he can be trusted but yeah he has lotsa cars to work on. So sometimes he take the easy way out. He'll suggest use for another few more years till its spoil then nee change. He doesnt really agree to opening up the engine and only repair the change spoil parts. But he's a good mechanic. If budget low he will do the hard job and ask for sometime. So far everything he repairs.. all lasting hah. Unlike all the pther mechanics that dealed with my mum's car.

Oh ya regarding exhaust system, yeah im planning to do so. But exhaust system is a lil complicated. What type of ride are you currently grooming? heh

Anyway thanks for sharing! =)

Last edited:

series5401

Known Member
Aug 14, 2010
Kuching
Skywalker..

Oh sorry for not mentioning hah. My hatch is a 1.3 satria. Im not very familiar with what type of suspension suits my car best in order to withstand trashing in the circuit just like u mentioned. What suspension would u recommend for this car?

oh btw im actually planning to go for the kampung gajah track race in perak. Are u familiar with this track? From what i heard this track has alot of cornering... err so which set of clutch upgrade would be ideal as well as its approximate cost?

Thanks! =)

Series...

My mechanic is my neighbour so he can be trusted but yeah he has lotsa cars to work on. So sometimes he take the easy way out. He'll suggest use for another few more years till its spoil then nee change. He doesnt really agree to opening up the engine and only repair the change spoil parts. But he's a good mechanic. If budget low he will do the hard job and ask for sometime. So far everything he repairs.. all lasting hah. Unlike all the pther mechanics that dealed with my mum's car.

Oh ya regarding exhaust system, yeah im planning to do so. But exhaust system is a lil complicated. What type of ride are you currently grooming? heh

ya, exhaust is really complicated.. need to "cuba try".. heheheeee.. currently, using the iswara lmss.. 4g13p wif carbs.. eheheee.. dat why i dont know much on efi.. but bro sky already convert to efi.. u can ask him further as i read his tread and he tapau many of the cars on road.. eheheheee.. sorry bro sky.. :adore:

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
Skywalker..

Thanks! =)

Series...

i'm not really sure which coilovers suits ur application either... everyone's preference varies alot... to be on the safe side, get aftermarket coilovers from popular brand such as TEIN, HKS or so on...

i've not been to kg. gajah circuit... but as i know its a rather small circuit... close gear ratio will help here as speed isnt important in small circuits... lightened flywheel could help here... the road surface there isnt as smooth as sepang.... so, u might need to set ur coilovers not too stiff or else it will be bumpy at corners... do try out different sets of alignment and camber setting... this could effect handling quite alot....

as for clutch upgrade, can try opt for exedy, trinity or works...

as for exhaust system, since u are setting up the car for race purposes, use 4-1 extractor with 1.8" piping...

X.O

Known Member
Aug 19, 2010
Penang
i'm not really sure which coilovers suits ur application either... everyone's preference varies alot... to be on the safe side, get aftermarket coilovers from popular brand such as TEIN, HKS or so on...

i've not been to kg. gajah circuit... but as i know its a rather small circuit... close gear ratio will help here as speed isnt important in small circuits... lightened flywheel could help here... the road surface there isnt as smooth as sepang.... so, u might need to set ur coilovers not too stiff or else it will be bumpy at corners... do try out different sets of alignment and camber setting... this could effect handling quite alot....

as for clutch upgrade, can try opt for exedy, trinity or works...

as for exhaust system, since u are setting up the car for race purposes, use 4-1 extractor with 1.8" piping...
Thanks sky! im beginning to understand more and more =)

Could you explain futher about camber settings?

About the clutch on the other hand, exedy, trininty and works are what type of clutch? Are they a bigger cc clutch? And approximately how much is one?

And again thanks! =)

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

ya, exhaust is really complicated.. need to "cuba try".. heheheeee.. currently, using the iswara lmss.. 4g13p wif carbs.. eheheee.. dat why i dont know much on efi.. but bro sky already convert to efi.. u can ask him further as i read his tread and he tapau many of the cars on road.. eheheheee.. sorry bro sky.. :adore:
Oh and series, our engines are nearly the same! hah. Just that yours runs on carboratur while mine is fuel injected. I actually dont quite get the difference here. do you?

We can share with each other more too anyway! =)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

currently plan to swap sohc to dohc to gain some respond and power, however, i just wonder is the ecu same between dohc and sohc?? really confuse cause the seller keep claim same, pls help all sifu:adore::adore::adore:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience