Ford Cortina MK3 rebuild

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
thanks for the views guys, will keep updating this thread as regularly as i can.

hassan,
i've been in contact with khalid for about a week now. he's based in muar and has offered to help me out as much as i can with sourcing the parts for an engine rebuild and other miscellaneous items. friendly guy. i've asked my grandad for any pics that he may have that links him to the car. kinda like doing a family tree of car owners haha. plan to stick with the engine if the majority of the parts are in good condition. right now, there's white smoke so i'm guessing either the block is cracked causing coolant to leak into the combustion chamber OR the gasket has cracked on allowed the coolant to flow into the said area. hopefully that's the cause la. cause that should be easily fixed.

i need weber info...price and availability guys. pls.

Darth

Known Member
May 10, 2005
Selangor
nice car man....can built as OLD STREET RACER......like unker fred say....Ramly maybe can help you on the built back.......i remember..Karamjit also got Ford Cortina...

http://www.spareparts.com.my/ramlymotor/

Last edited:

Kendconcerto

Known Member
Jan 4, 2006
You're car need to be PIMPED dude! :)

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
jinkl,
good luck with your ride too! i've decided to strip most of the current paintwork myself and then only transport the shell to the welders/painters for them to touch up. should cost me less since i've got some time on my hand AND i will know that i've removed all of the layers of paint+primer. and some rust here and there.

darth,
thanks for the contact. will make a trip to his workshop when i'm ready to start rebuilding the engine. could you give a brief history on him and cars that he's worked on?

kendconcerto,
it's gonna be restored to it's original condition BUT no pimping like what they do on mtv. i find that wayyyy to rice for my taste. but i will make it track worthy. who knows, one day i may be able to enter it for the super series classic category. haha!

i'm definitely all for a roll cage as i've felt what a bolt-on 7 point roll cage can do for my putra...imagine a weld-in cage. :D

still can't post pics because i can't access my photobucket. ish. so irritating.

updates for today:

1. started chipping off the paint from the driver side quarter panel.
2. chipped off mre paint from random areas around the body.
3. realized that i need a electrical sander/buffer to speed up my work.

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
e3newbie,the idea is to chip of as much paint+body filler as i can before using the paint stripper. since the car has got such thick layers of filler, using paint stripper alone would be a waste of money and time. so, gonna slowly chip out the paint first.

might have to invest in jackstands. cause i'll need to strip out the transmission and engine.

umm, is there any other way to remove the engine without using a engine crane?

btw, to all ZTH members, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
the best way to remove engne is still using engine crane. Try borrowing one or just 'rent" (or belanja the mecahnic kopi) from a workshop during weekends. Just make sure the crane is foldable type. Before taking out the engine, try find a trolley (medium duty) so that the removed engine can be placed on the trolley and can be shifted here and there for conveinient sake, or if you having space problem.

I had the same problem whn my engine taken out, now the engine just sit there and can't be shifted....

jethrel

Known Member
May 18, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
I've read through it all as much as I can and you can ignore my advise as it's just a suggestion.

If I had your car, I'd

1. Fill in the holes, re-weld back what is ruset and what not and then only paint the car interior. Exterior you can do it after you plonk in the engine.
2. I do hear alot of carb eunthisiast here though perhaps to me, for long term use, I'd go for injection. That sorta big car, there's quite a number of engine you could consinder. Yet however, to source it out - GAM BAH TEH! lol
3. After the work of re-welding, painting and putting in the engine, then there's the carpeting (PJ Old town or Bukit Kemuning or Klang there's a place to do it)
4. Then there's the interior other parts that you can mod; Seats, dashboard, meters etc.
5. If you're ICE fan which I am not, then only I'd put in the sound system.
6. Last but not least, and idea on a body kit or you're keeping it standard?

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
i found a 2 door cortina cabriolet in klang , yellow colour, original ? dunno

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
ken yeang,
what if i remove the engine bit by bit? like remove the rocker cover, cylinder head and cylinder block? it should be lighter to remove by hand then right?

khoyos,
already visited that website when i first got the car. very tempting, but the engine modifications will have to wait as i plan a rebuild of the current engine (for now). bodywork is of utmost importance.

jethrel,
thanks for your opinions. anyway here's what i think:
1. will be doing the bodywork and painting of the interior and exterior in one go. since i'm not capable with engine rebuilding, i'll farm out the rebuilding to somebody else to complete while the car is having bodywork done.
2. i'd honestly love to go fuel injection. example maybe a zetec or duratec conversion. but not really bothered due to budget constraints. so it'll be a rebuild of the stock engine to get the car functioning smoothly again.
3. i might not bother with carpeting as i have plans for a weld-in roll cage at this point of time. however, things might change depending on circumstances.
4. seats will definitely be full bucket for me, and a semi-bucket for the passenger. i'm still contemplating on whether or not i should put in the rear seats as i have a habit of removing the rear seats and not putting them back in (like my putra for instance). as for the dashboard, i'm leaving the air con out of the picture and will be looking around for speedometer, rev meter, fuel gauge, water temp gauge and a vacuum gauge among other things, to replace the meter cluster. will hold it all in place by a sheet of aluminum.
5. no ICE. period.
6. i might consider wheel arches and a front skirt. like some of those ford rs2000 race cars. really nice stuff. but it depends on the budget once again.

jinkl,
are you sure it's a cabriolet? cause the vinyl top can be deceiving. haha. you want a cortina? :P

picture update guys!

jethrel

Known Member
May 18, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
Have book marked your webpage on rebuilding the Ford Mark 3. Interesting ...

1. That's the way it should go mate! Body and paint would be a side by side job and well, to me, it does require some time and quite a lot of speculation here and there for the outcome to be sweeeeeeet. The engine building I'd usually leave it to the mech with a slow step by step rebuilt. Unless of course I want more power, I'll have a discussion with the mec wanting this to fit here and there and blah blah blah ....

3. Oh! I didn't know that you're planning to put in a roll cage ... fuh ... can't wait to see the ending of this rebult.

Anywayz, good luck yo ...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

anyone knows where can i get this thing, it use to measure pressure along the injector pipe by clamping it on the pipe. look like the battery clamp.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience