First Impression: 2011 VW Polo GTI

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
i laugh at the fools who buy a 7 year old mini cooper s for the same price.
or a brand new cooper s for 100k more.
So you'd be laughing at people like me with the R53 Cooper S, but it's okay, I get the joke and will face the consequences when I see the GTI on the road soon.

then again, like firdausasri said, they're pretty different.

Given the pricetag of the new 6R Polo GTI, anyone with hot hatch in mind would be hard pressed not to include this car in his/her option's list. 180bhp (160-170whp dyno figure for sure) from a 1.4TSI is just awesome and dynamics should be significantly improved over its predecessor, the 9N3. One thing remains is the dry clutch DSG box. Having driven the Rocco and Golf 1.4TSI, both kinda hesitate to move rapidly akin to driving a Savvy AMT. Hope VW is able to address this issues asap.

While R56 MCS's pricetag is astronomically high in comparisons to the Polo, I would honestly regard it as the better car especially the weightage of the steering and how it able to covers more ground in more fluidity than outright harshness. No offense to the Polo owners yeah :)
Have you driven the new Polo GTI yet? I have to agree the DSG in the 1.4 Scirocco and Golf do have that hesitation issue when I drove it sometime ago. I was surprised the Polo GTI wasn't like that at all. It still doesn't have that meaty transition the Golf has but I feel it is significantly quicker than it's sibling 1.4s.

firdausasri

Known Member
Mar 6, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
When you mentioned about driven the Rocco and Golf Tsi. Is the Rocco also the 1.4? The reason I'm asking is because the 1.4 uses a 7speed DSG and the 2.0 uses the 6speed DSG. Any difference in the hesitation that you felt?
Turbolover,

The Rocco I mentioned was 1.4TSI which has 7 speed dry clutch DSG. I didn't find any hesitation on 2.0 FSI though...

Tom,

Didn't tried the new Polo GTI yet as I didn't get any call from my dealer nor VGM for Sepang test drive. But I'm sure the Polo is much quicker than the Golf or Rocco perhaps running on different mapping. Stock Golf 1.4TSI dynoed around 150whp and upon reflash should be getting 180-190whp. Good to know that the Polo doesn't have any hesitation on the move :)

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
Turbolover,

The Rocco I mentioned was 1.4TSI which has 7 speed dry clutch DSG. I didn't find any hesitation on 2.0 FSI though...

Tom,

Didn't tried the new Polo GTI yet as I didn't get any call from my dealer nor VGM for Sepang test drive. But I'm sure the Polo is much quicker than the Golf or Rocco perhaps running on different mapping. Stock Golf 1.4TSI dynoed around 150whp and upon reflash should be getting 180-190whp. Good to know that the Polo doesn't have any hesitation on the move :)
Then I guess the hesitation is from the tuning of the gear change/gear box problem. Initially when my dad got the Passat it has slight hesitation upon moving then my dad brought it to VW and they replaced the DSG. Issue resolved but after another few months of driving brought it back for them to fine tune the gear change and it now runs perfectly minus the indication of the gears you are at i.e: D1(first gear),D2(second gear) and so on. Even when shifted to sports mode the S1,S2,S3 indication is not shown. It only indicates D or S. (Sorry for the off topic):wavey:

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Eddieyee: shouldn't be too significant though the extra 2 doors with power window motors, door cards and internal structure should contribute some KGs

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Twincharged and runs on RON 95? Salute man... :adore:

Cheers to force fed tech

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Car plate: WQA8000
Model: Subaru Version 8 STi
Place lost: Taman Supreme Condominium
Car Trade mark: Front and back carbon fibre wth black rims.
Please contact 012-7277778 / 012-2923322 / 016-9003366 / 012-3063539
YOur attention is much appreciated. thx
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience