Ferrari Four (FF) Unveiled in Malaysia

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

I received word that the new Ferrari FF (Ferrari Four) was in town for a couple of days, to be previewed by potential customers. I really wanted to make it, but I would be out of town for several days over the weekend; so once I got back from my holiday, I made it a point to head for Naza Italia to see it in the flesh.

So... what exactly is the Ferrari FF (Ferrari Four)? Touted as the replacement for the 612 Scaglietti, the FF is the latest V12 grand tourer. There are a couple of new developments on the FF; this is the first production 4WD Ferrari has made (patented by Ferrari as 4RM), and this is also Ferrari's first shooting brake.

EXTERIOR:

The FF is a four seater GT, with a long sloping bonnet where a 6.3-litre V12 is nestled. I must admit that when I first saw pictures of the FF, I hated it. I didn't like every thing about it visually; too long, too sloped, awkward face, clumsy rear. But then when I finally saw it in the flesh, my opinion changed a little... it was smaller in the flesh, lines were cleaner, and the rear isn't actually that bad. In fact, the more I look at it, the more it looks more like a station wagon version of the 458 Italia! That said, I am sure that many will be divided by it's looks.

INTERIOR:

You might have noticed that the particular example in pictures is a LHD unit. I was told that this example is actually a pre-production model that is doing a tour across the dealerships in Southeast Asia. Before Malaysia, it was in Australia and Singapore, and will be headed to Bangkok this weekend.

The FF is a strict four-seater, with a very generous boot space of 450 litres. To put things in perspective, a Honda Civic FD has 458 litres of space. The cherry on this cake is knowing that the rear seats are actually collapsible, and the boot space is extended to 800 litres. Definitely more than above average to um, do your grocery runs.

Most of the interior is wrapped in a sumptuous leather, with smattering of CF here and there. Extended all the way, the driving position is perfect, but passengers at the rear would suffer, and leg-room isn't what you would call generous. That said, the rear seats are perfectly fine for a night out for four people, just not the best car to drive up north to Penang.

The steering is standard Ferrari fare, as are the dials (that are beautiful, btw). More important to note, is the optional display on the front passenger area; information on the FF's cruising speed is on show here, and some might tick this box, just to scare some of their passengers. Also worth mentioning are the redesigned air-cond vents. These are actually much easier to use now, and doesn't feel as cheap as some of the earlier Ferrari models.

ENGINE & TECHNOLOGY:

Ferrari FF V12 start-up - YouTube

Now comes the interesting part; the FF's 6.3 litre V12 is naturally aspirated, and produces a staggering 651hp, with 683Nm of torque (500Nm @ 1000rpm). All this, in a body that weighs only 1800kg. 0-100km/h sprint is dispatched in a scant 3.7secs and Ferrari claims that the FF is the fastest four-seat automobile in the world. And I can believe that.

The engine is couple to a 7-speed dual-clutch tranny that is similar to the 458 Italia. The 4RM (four wheel drive) system is also touted to be 50% lighter than a conventional 4WD system, and Ferrari claims that this system is much more usable than the 612 it replaces, especially so in hazardous driving conditions like heavy rain, or snow. On a more local flavour, there is a lifting system for both the front AND the back, so we all don't have to worry too much about the pot-holes in KL roads.

Ferrari FF V12 rev video - YouTube

VERDICT:
On paper, the FF is undoubtedly a very accomplished grand tourer. While most will need some time to get used to it's looks, the FF is actually very pretty from select angles. That said, I suspect that the one thing that will stop the order books from flowing is the steep RM2.8mil asking price; too close to a 599 GTO, even if the FF is more practical.

SPECIFICATIONS:
6.3 litre V12
Max power: 651hp @ 8000rpm
Max torque: 683Nm @ 6000rpm
0-100km/h: 3.7secs
Top speed: 335km/h
Transmission: 7-speed semi-auto, AWD

Attachments

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
2.8 mil for a ferrari sedan, thats more than the porsche panamera! but good job on the coverage

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Cheers folks! I do agree that the FF is incredibly pricey. Priced much too close to the GTO and SuperVeloce... so much so that potential buyers have to properly think before ordering one. I was told that no one has placed any orders yet... although there have already been orders for a 458 spider, and 458 Scuderia already... (and I can't wait for those to finally arrive!).

Hope you all enjoy the pics and vids :)

m|ng

Known Member
May 13, 2006
the revs! If I were to have the pleasure to drive that, I'd ejaculate everytime i pass 6000 RPM.

skazareth

Known Member
Feb 8, 2007
"IMPORTANT : Please obey traffic laws and pay attention.." .
A good reminder for 651hp V12 under the hood.

i think the so called one-of-a-kind 4RM technology makes this FF a bit off pricey. It is so brilliant innovation i must say. When Ferrari introduced this technology months ago I tot it was just a concept.

Regarding the price, ironically, the "4RM" itself shows it does means MONEY... Hit n hold SHIFT button on ur keyboard and type 4RM. U'll understand...

For those who cant afford an FF.. u can have FFFFFFFUUUUUUU instead.
Do want. Do envy rich brats.

Last edited:

har1th7

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
nice pic man...

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I always liked ferrari's sound. But that clip of the car revving you gave up there is really the first time when I heard that it really sounded like a raged horse! So sharp, short and fierce... Pure awesomeness....

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yes; the engine note is definitely lovely. Let's just say I've gotten a bit more daring when burying my foot in the throttle ;) Also, this is a Ferrari V12 so it should typically sound good. The MC Stradale (V8) and GTO (V12) does sound better in comparison, though...

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
when i read the title.. i thought Ferrari come out with a Front Engine, Front Wheel Drive (FF).. hahahahaha.. that would be the 1st :rofl::rofl::rofl:

anyway, nice post..

Fantastic Ferrari Four.. :biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6HNoUwzYNHE" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="200" width="335"></iframe>

'(00): Is this the month of awesome car videos? A must-watch. This C-Class coupe video is filmed here in Malaysia as well as Singapore with footages of local PDRM showing-off their prowess and a patrol Waja handbraking out of a corner.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience