Experiment and DIY on Oxidized Headlamp Fix

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
First of all, I think this thread suits here more than the detailing room coz in my opinion, this is not detailing. I merely trying some method and DIY. :hmmmm:

Quite a number of people from around the world have used Spar Urethane + Mineral Spirits method for headlamp restoration. Since I am amused by what this remedy can do, I decided to give it a try since I have a can of Spar Urethane.:idea: Other things needed: Mineral spirits, a plastic cup (non wax), a spoon, towels, and of course, white mice :biggrin:

So there he is, driving a white kancil-converted-mira. Enjoy the pics ~ :listen:

1. The white mice...it's small, it's white, and with cataracts. Perfect candidate!
:love:

2. Lets take it closer....its that a whacked bug on the fog lamp? :mad:

3. Lets take a look at the other side ...

4. I cleaned up the mess with water + degreaser 2:1 and then dry sand with 400 grit

5. From 400, I continued with dry sand 600, then move to wet sand 800,1000, and then 1500 grit. Notice that I did not tape the lamp surrounding. When I wanted to tape it, my friend said "tape what lah...my paint already kong le...no need waste time" and I was like :hmmmm: ok lor

6. After 2000 grit wet sanding. I stop here coz I dont have higher grit. After all the sanding, I used a clay bar to remove all the stuffs on the surface.

7. Then I mixed 1:1.3 of mineral spirits + spar urethane, kacau kacau it in the plastic cup and then used a polishing microfiber cloth (very minimal lint) to spread the mixture left and right. Most people uses blue shop towel but I cant find it in Malaysia. Sorry guys no photo of the mixture coz my hand was messy at that time. :adore:

8. The result is very promising. This is a 50-50 shot. Driver side done, passenger side has to be done.

9. Finished both lamps and took the ride outside for a shot. Not bad and I was quite satisfied. Notice that the driver side fog lamp is still blurry. I found out that the fault is actually from the inside :mad:. I cant do anything without dismantling the lamp. My friend did not mind and is happy with the result so I dint go any further.

So there it is. The method works! Most of the people who used this method said that it will last for 1-2 years, depending on how severe is the weather. I'll keep you guys posted every 3 months if possible. Thanks for readingzzzzzzzzzZZzzzzZzzzZz ~:sleep::sleep::sleep:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I'll upload the picture later. Spar urethane is similar to spar vanish, which purpose is to protect woods that are exposed to weather and marine boats. It contains UV protected thus it's longevity. U can get it from ACE hardware.. Not cheap though, it's RM100 for a liter. But you only need two chicken rice plastic spoon spar urethane and mineral spirits for a pair of headlamp.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
may use auto sol too work wonders to me
Have a look at my profile under statistics, then look at my posting regarding headlamp cleaning. I test a test with toothpaste, autosol and proper headlamp cleaners using both hand polish and machine polish.

Autosol had the worst results!

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Have a look at my profile under statistics, then look at my posting regarding headlamp cleaning. I test a test with toothpaste, autosol and proper headlamp cleaners using both hand polish and machine polish.

Autosol had the worst results!
Actually, if im gonna use spar urethane method, i might opt for using autosol on a polishing machine. From your experiment, the autosol yielded the roughest surface and even caused minor scratches on the lamp. But that's why it is better coz the spar urethane actually fills up the scratches thus it has more bite on the lamp. But I'm still looking for denoted alcohol coz if I were not mistaken, autosol is wax based also.

I have not tried this spar urethane method on a crystal lamp before..thus I'm not so sure on how it will fill in the scratches of 2000 grit. If it doesnt fill in good, then I might have to polish with autosol to make the scratches finer. Still looking for another white mice wkakakaka

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
So Toothpaste is the best way? Then my headlamp gonna smell all mint :rofl:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Whats spar urethane? where to get?
Bro, this is the spar urethane. Exactly the same as mine.

I mixed it in a plastic cup with Mineral Spirits and stirred it with Chatime plastic straw :biggrin:

Then I wiped the solution on the lamp without compounding / polishing it.

So Toothpaste is the best way? Then my headlamp gonna smell all mint :rofl:
Toothpaste is the most cost efficient product to use if you just want to reduce the yellowish layer..I had tried toothpaste (darlie..not sure bout Colgate / Oral B / Sensodine, which all of them are recognized and recommended by dentist world wide), Autosol metal polisher, and a lamp polisher from ACE Hardware - small bottle, cheap, RM9.

All of them can reduce the yellowish, but not totally remove them. I dont know if these products are applied using a Rotary or DA, I was using my biological made in malaysia arm and fingers :biggrin::slug::biggrin:. The effort using toothpaste is slightly more, whereby autosol and the headlamp polisher yield faster result. FTW, the headlamp has double mint fragrance after Darlie-ed. :biggrin:

Ohya, I used 3 of them to try on oxidized car number plate too. Cant restore it to 100%, but I would say, about 60-70%

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Updates updates updates ..... after 3 months, still no sign of oxidation. The car is parked outside 24/7, exposed to sunlight and acid rain throughout the month of December until March and no additional protection is applied.

Still no chance to try it on my friend's Altis headlamp yet. But his brother's iswara headlamp is holding pretty well too, fixed with the same method.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Bro. cvkit,
You mix with mineral spirit to thin it down? and you wipe it on, not paint?
I think should be good as it is a protectant. Others just clean and polish and will turn yellow again quite fast.
No chance to try as my two older rides, headlamp all glass, won't fade....hahaha:biggrin:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
When I have the time I will DIY this. Awesome followup dude
If you need spar urethane then tell me...I still got a lot LOL!

Bro. cvkit,
You mix with mineral spirit to thin it down? and you wipe it on, not paint?
I think should be good as it is a protectant. Others just clean and polish and will turn yellow again quite fast.
No chance to try as my two older rides, headlamp all glass, won't fade....hahaha:biggrin:
Ya the mineral spirit is to thin it down. I just clean the surface after sanding as well as clay it to remove all particles, then wipe the solution with a lint free cloth. I found out that 60 spar 40 m.spirit is the best for our weather. Too much m.spirit and I'll have streaks...too less and it will dry very fast before it evens out on the surface. Spar urethane is UV protectant for wood. I think that's why it can sustain the scorching sun.

My two older rides, wira 2001 and sentra 1991 headlamps are also made of glass :biggrin: that's why gotta try on my friends' car wakakaka

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I also bought some plastic polish to try out. Now looking for donor....hahahaha:biggrin:
Oh! I manage to get 3000 grit sandpaper in CSM hardware in Sri Muda Shah Alam.....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

ESPN Star Sports (ESS) is going all out this season to rope in Malaysian fans and viewers of Formula One with a host of new features for its subscribers, including the first high-definition broadcast of all races on ESPN HD.

Together with its broadcast sponsor Petronas, ESS will showcase some of the most comprehensive coverage of the 2011 Formula One season in the region with full coverage of all 19...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience