Exhaust System

deathzone

Jul 9, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Need opinion from u guys,

1. Im currently using 2.3inch pipe without catalytic converter but with center bullet and Rsr exmag Gt2 muffler. If i take out the center bullet will i get any performance gain and will it effect my fuel consumption?

2. If i change my exhaust to s-flow type will it effect my performance compare to using straight flow?

Daniel1688

500 RPM
Jun 23, 2005
PJ/KL
from my experience, removing the center bullet will reduce your torque as you dun have enough back pressure. You can feel the difference especially during hill climbs.
As so S-flow definitely will effect your performance as it restrict your exhaust flow. A good example will be those track cars, you wont find any of them using S-flow exhaust.
Basically you have to you have to ask yourself what do you want to achieve. More horsepower = more fuel consumption.

deathzone

Jul 9, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
from my experience, removing the center bullet will reduce your torque as you dun have enough back pressure. You can feel the difference especially during hill climbs.
As so S-flow definitely will effect your performance as it restrict your exhaust flow. A good example will be those track cars, you wont find any of them using S-flow exhaust.
Basically you have to you have to ask yourself what do you want to achieve. More horsepower = more fuel consumption.
I think i will keep my center bullet then. Im very satisfied with my fc now...can get around 410-430km(town driving) 1 full tank. But not satisfied with the sound of my muffler hehehe not loud enough!

P/s: Btw R u daniel Haris Tan?

Daniel1688

500 RPM
Jun 23, 2005
PJ/KL
RSR exmag not loud enuff? omg...you must be mad. i got 1 set that i took out from my car cos i cant tahan the noise. but if you want louder then go and get those 5chicken types so can hear your car coming from miles away. and we i'm daniel harris tan :)

deathzone

Jul 9, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
RSR exmag not loud enuff? omg...you must be mad. i got 1 set that i took out from my car cos i cant tahan the noise. but if you want louder then go and get those 5chicken types so can hear your car coming from miles away. and we i'm daniel harris tan :)
Rsr exmag without center bullet then loud la hahha mine got bullet so the sound very bassy. 5zigen 304 ro sounds nice but i dun really like the design.

P/s: Daniel, im ahket bah from kk :D

Daniel1688

500 RPM
Jun 23, 2005
PJ/KL
well you can head down to the exhaust shop and get it remove and try if you like the sound comparing with what you have now. If you dont like it you can always install back the center bullet. As for me i prefer bassy compare to those prrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaag type...maybe i'm just getting old.hahaha

deathzone

Jul 9, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
well you can head down to the exhaust shop and get it remove and try if you like the sound comparing with what you have now. If you dont like it you can always install back the center bullet. As for me i prefer bassy compare to those prrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaag type...maybe i'm just getting old.hahaha
If take out the mid pipe will it effect the fuel consumption?

shah5755

Known Member
Apr 20, 2007
Pj....kch
mine just straight flow with 2.3" and no center bullet :biggrin:
when drive slow sound can consider not too loud but when ur right leg getting itchy then the true sound will be coming out:rofl: planning to put the center bullet after this cannot tahan hearing the sound oredi:rofl:

Daniel1688

500 RPM
Jun 23, 2005
PJ/KL
Agree with you Shah...sometimes when you right leg becomes itchy then the sound of you exhaust can really be music to your ears ( not sure about your neighborhood tho) but if the car is a daily driven can then i can be abit too noisy at times.
I think its time for me to install back my full RSR system for a few months of ear drumming sound!!!

caleb_5375

1,000 RPM
Jul 21, 2007
we dun need back pressure...do some research or read the last few month of hypertune there got teach oso...i know the theory but hard to type coz will let u all read until blur blur...

shah5755

Known Member
Apr 20, 2007
Pj....kch
yes sharing is caring:biggrin:
i've heard b4 somebodi tell me its not 'cool' if vtec engine using the center bullet hehe

caleb_5375

1,000 RPM
Jul 21, 2007
i copy this whole chapter down from MIKE KOJIMA's book (how to modify D,B,H series honda /acura)

the key part of your exhaust system is the muffler.the muffler is the can at the end of the exhaust whose job it is to make the exhaust quiet.To do this,a typical stock muffler must have an intricate and labyrinth-like internal flow path to help slow andcool the hot,vibrating exhaust gas.It contains baffles that cause the exhaust flow to reverse direction and mix.these baffles are great for reducing noise but are not good for power.The network of baffles that redirect and intermix this flow are very restrictive,impeding the flow of gasses from the carmwhich directly affects power.
To reduce the most amount of power,an exhaust sytem should restrict exhaust flow as little as posible.Restriction hampers the burned exhaust gasses from exiting the engine,causing some charge dilusion with the incoming fresh air/fuel mixture.This cause a loss of power.Greater restriction also results in backpressure,which makes the engine works harder to pump the exhaust out of the cylinders.This is what I mean by pumping loss discussed previously.
Some stock mufflers produce up to 18 psi of power robbing backpressure.A well designed performance exhaust typically has about 2-6 psi of backpressure.For comparison sake,an UN-MUFFLED straight pipe as found on and off road racecar usually has 1-3 psi of backpressure.Obviously,you wont want to run an un-muffled pipe on the street unless you want to get know your local law enforcement real well..lolx..
To get the least amount of backpressure,most of the good high performance mufflers available today have what is called a straight -through design.There types of mufflers quiet the exhaust by the absorption of high frequency vibrations with a fluffy packing material,usually consisting of stainless stell mesh and heat resistant ceramic fibers.They typically have an inner core that is straight through with no baffling at all,much like a straight pipe with many small holes.The pipe is louvered or perforated when is passes inside the muffler's shell,allowing the radiating sound energy to pass through tbe holes to the packign where it is absorbed and damped.while this is going on ,the exhaust gas flows out of the car unimpeded.You can see straight through there type of mufflers.the louvered or perforated core is usually wrapped with either fiberglass padding,hence the old school term"glass pack" or on the better mufflers,stainless stell mesh andceramic wool to help further absorb the sound.On straight through mufflers the longer the mufflers the queiter it is.the length usually has no effect on the backpressure ,just the noise output.The mufflers work in the same manner as silencers do on guns.if a silencer impeded the bullet's travel ,you would definitely have problems with your gun!

i can't type all of this words man..my finger is Fking tired now...lolx...hope this help u know bout backpressure...will go on with pipe diameter after my finger rest enough..

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

THE EXHAUST PIPE

to save costs,your stock honda exhaust is make with small diameter crush bend pipe.Crush bend easy and inexpensive to make,which make them ideal for mass production.However ,crush bend can reduce the flow of a pipe by up to 50%.The typical exhaust systemmake by a standard muffler shop is also crush bent.the best exhaust system,like most pre-made exhaust systems,come with mandrel bends.Mandrel bending is donw with a special machine that used a non crushable insert,called a mandrel,that goes into the ppe while bending to prevent it from becoming rushed.The bend is smooth,which helps with exhaust flow.If you are making your own exhaust you can buy pre made mandrels bends from BURNsStainless, Magnaflow,Kinsler or Bassini.

PIPE DIAMETER
Some self proclaimed motor gurus state that you should not run an exhaut pipe that is too large in diameter because he engine need a certain amount of backpressure to run correctly.Although the statement about size is correct,the assumption about the engines needing bckpressure is NOT!! AN engine needs to have the lowest backpressurepossible to produce the maximum power by keeping pumping losses low.AN exhause pipe that is too big cause power loss,especially low end torque,because a big pipe has less exhaust stream velocity than a smaller pipe.Velocity is essential to get the beste scavengin effect from tuned headers which we will discuss in more detail later.To simplify things,if the exhause gas flow is to kept high with good velocity,a vacuum can develop beind the closed exhause valve,allowing even better scavenging when the exhause valve open on the next cycle.Good scavenging is even more critical on valve overlap,the part of the 4 stroke cycle where both intake and exhaust valves are open.
IF the exhause pipe diameter is too large,the flow will be sluggish with low velocity and the scavenging will not be so good.REmembe that a good exhaust has low backpressure and high velocity.The only possible exceptions to this rule are for turbocharged or nitrous motor.It is almost imposible to put an exhaust that is too big on a turbocharged engine,because the turbo depend alot on the pressure differntial across its turbine to make power.A turbo engine can have an exhaust gas volume about 1.5-2 times more than and equivalent displacement,naturally aspirated motor.NOS motors also have pretty high exhaust volume and require a bigger exhaust if they are to be optimized for NOS operation.
Some basic exhaust pipe diameter guideline for HONDA/acura motors are as follows:

D15,D16,B16a,zc-2 inch
B18b,B18c-2.25inch
H22,H23-2.5inch

Add 1/2 inch to the pie diameter to optimized for NOS use.FOr turbo motors ,2.5inch is the minumum size diameter pipe u would wan to run,even for the smaller motors.For the b18 1800cc and bigger H series motors3 inches works well.
IF you dun feel like making ur own system,a reputable company liek DC sport,HKS or Greddy makes well engineered,pre-made exhause system.There systems have a good balance of low backpressure ,roperly sized tubing and low noise..

FOR MORE INFOR BOUT ALL THIS U CAN GO KINOKUNIYA AND LOOK FOR THE BOOK..GUYS SORRY LAH I CANT TYPE ALL ...HOPE THIS ALL HELPS~~~

deathzone

Jul 9, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
I just remove my mid pipe last week just using straight pipe from extractor to my rsr muffler. The sound was damm loud when vtec open but when drive slow still acceptable. I cant notice and performance gain or drop so far.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

As a top Malaysian racer and on both four and two wheels, Adi Haslam was dealt a cruel hand by fate as a motocross accident in 1997 robbed him of his ability to walk and rendered him wheelchair-bound until the K4GP 24-Hours Endurance landed on our shores.

Forming his own team for the race, Adi was back behind the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience