evo7 loud vibrating sound during rain

madiewaters

Known Member
Jul 27, 2009
wah so many ppl having same problem with their evo during rainy day..... i dont think mind have prob with 4wd transfer box coz just replace the gearbox.... if gearbox prob it will make sound everytime and last time happens to me with the whinnningg sound during accelerate... any cifu can help to solve this matter....
ur longshaft bro i think.. ur grease in longshaft leak.(maybe)
r u use snow trans in the rains day...

bb1-man

500 RPM
Mar 29, 2005
Whatsup MLOC guys...

I used to have this problem with my DC5 AFTER changing to aftermarket exhaust system ;)

I also didn't manage to fix the issue, but i was told that when clearance between the pipe and the underbody/hook is very small (due to change to aftermarket exhaust or some mods down there), during rain where the pipe gets wet, the metal contracts, and changes in diameter at some points. Even a small difference causes a heavy vibration, and when the metal dries up (after a few kms on dry ground), the vibration disappears.

Some dudes have fixed it by wrapping the pipe all the way with one of those supa-dupa exhaust wraps. Me, i didn't fix.

clanzkiller

1,000 RPM
Oct 31, 2006
Oh yeah that's mine.., And I've been looking for the answer for the past 2 years.
Rev or not revving, the sound will appear randomly. Even at idle. So anyone has fixed it?
some said the oem cat converter, but I removed it. Some said the exhaust hook, and I never try it. Some said driveshaft, etc etc.

madiewaters

Known Member
Jul 27, 2009
my suggestion try to check your longshaft mounting/rubber.. maybe...:wavey:

clanzkiller

1,000 RPM
Oct 31, 2006
my suggestion try to check your longshaft mounting/rubber.. maybe...:wavey:
Checked and nothing. Normally if long shaft problem, it will sound during normal day also right?

You know when u jack up the car, there is a metal pieces surrounding the entire exhaust pipe, from downpipe to almost end muffler, i'm not sure what's the purpose of it, but if u hit that thing simultaneously, it sounds exactly the same. And the gap was like 3cm from the exhaust piping, i try to bend the metal using my bare hand see if it is soft or what, and it won't move lol...
Another thing i saw was before the mid pipe, those original evos have the cover shield for the piping, i think probably that is the thing that make the noise, but i dunno cause i didn't open it up and measure the distance between the shield and the pipe

rumitech_global

Known Member
Jun 11, 2010
melaka
yeah sound logical to me, i oso try to hit that thing with may finger and that cover seem like not fitted and loose, i will try to tighten that cover first

clanzkiller

1,000 RPM
Oct 31, 2006
yeah sound logical to me, i oso try to hit that thing with may finger and that cover seem like not fitted and loose, i will try to tighten that cover first
But mine ain't loose. Is still fitted tight, just that it makes the same sound.....

madiewaters

Known Member
Jul 27, 2009
or ur acd transcase problem ka...
go to workshop and just pulg to check whats the mystery sound came out....:smokin:
happend to me the transfercase but the sound when i realese the paddle the sound come out(not like ur type sound)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

plz, i need code colour for R3 car.. its not black i think.. waja r3
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience