Engine shut off while driving

cgui

500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
Setapak
Hi guys ... I havent login to ZTH Cefiro Club for a very very long time. Some guys might still remember me like weikee or brother Ong ... but i think brother Ong now has a mother trucker oredi.. hehehe congratulations bro ..

anyway back to the subject .. i am currently having problems with my ride. i am experiencing sudden engine shut off while driving with / without air conditioning turned on. i have changed a few stuff i.e. fuel filter, cracked air filter hose, etc but the problem still remains. it doesnt happen very frequent so it is very hard to catch the root of the problem. most obvious would be, the engine will die off when i de-accelerate or lift off my foot from the accelerator pedal.

any of u guys experienced this before? mind to share some of ur thoughts?

appreciate it... cheers guys...

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

oh yeah .. apart from that .. where is the best place to get a VQ25 half cut? I see some of the members here have changed their hearts (engine la) ... how much does it cost these days & any good mechanic to recommend?

feel like keeping my old ride as it would be difficult to sell it off these days with the implemented 18 point check by puspakom. used car dealers sure dont wanna accept old old cars like ours oredi. susah oh ..

Cheongxp

Known Member
Oct 22, 2010
Selangor
I experienced before, but that due to Gear box gone.
After swipe to VQ25 half cut, not more such problem.
You gear box any signal to you ?
Last time when cold time, i can't engage D, need to start by 2nd gear.

Heard recently VQ25 price up, half cut min cost you RM3,500 & above i think.

cgui

500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
Setapak
Thanks bro for the reply. Yes I am too having gearbox problems. Have to start in 2nd gear else it won't move. Didn't know that this could be due to gearbox also. Damn looks like I need to source for 1/2 cut oredi. U know where can find good seller?

Cheongxp

Known Member
Oct 22, 2010
Selangor
This one of reason, anyway get you regular workshop to confirm again.

For half cut shop, around klang valley have many like Puchong Mun Lee, USJ area or other place.
Just the price & you have to make judgement whether is good unit or not.
Good & Bad seller is any where, so far didn't know how to identify.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Heard Mun Lee sell things expensive from what I heard from my friend in
Puchong who visits half cut shops frequently to look for parts...

Not sure about that..need more people to clarify this.

12savefuel

Known Member
Dec 10, 2008
Hi guys ... I havent login to ZTH Cefiro Club for a very very long time. Some guys might still remember me like weikee or brother Ong ... but i think brother Ong now has a mother trucker oredi.. hehehe congratulations bro ..

anyway back to the subject .. i am currently having problems with my ride. i am experiencing sudden engine shut off while driving with / without air conditioning turned on. i have changed a few stuff i.e. fuel filter, cracked air filter hose, etc but the problem still remains. it doesnt happen very frequent so it is very hard to catch the root of the problem. most obvious would be, the engine will die off when i de-accelerate or lift off my foot from the accelerator pedal.

any of u guys experienced this before? mind to share some of ur thoughts?

appreciate it... cheers guys...

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

oh yeah .. apart from that .. where is the best place to get a VQ25 half cut? I see some of the members here have changed their hearts (engine la) ... how much does it cost these days & any good mechanic to recommend?

feel like keeping my old ride as it would be difficult to sell it off these days with the implemented 18 point check by puspakom. used car dealers sure dont wanna accept old old cars like ours oredi. susah oh ..
You need to check your base idle speed. If the base idle speed is too low when the speed is correct (about 55km/h i think) and you are in 3rd gear and you lift off 100% and let the car roll, and the trans changes to 4th gear the rpm will drop to close to 500rpm. If your base idle speed is not set at 600-700 rpm the engine will stall.

That is presuming that there is no other mechanical problems with the car like vacuum leak etc.

Based idle speed is set with the electronic idle control valve disconnected. Base idle speed means idle speed of the engine with no load all accessories off and no compensation by the EACV. So e.g. if you set the base idle at 400rpm then you connect back the EACV the EACV will compensate back to the preset value of 650rpm. So therefore the based idle speed is wrong.

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
Can be AFM problem too. Try change it or clean it with CRC-contact cleaner.

For 1/2 cut shopping try Deluxe @ Puchong. My friend got an a32 2.5L 1/2 cut from them.

-sky-

Known Member
Apr 2, 2006
Well they are really expensive bcoz of 1 reason as i was told by the staff there.

Mun Lee actually looking at the larger customer aka bulk customer oversea.
they don't really care if the local half cut goer like us to buy or not for this reason.

Last edited:

cgui

500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
Setapak
thanks guys for all the advise .. i too heard that mun lee is expensive but they have impressive stock. saw tons of VQ engines laying on the floor before.

will go & shop around for engine during the weekend .. but not tis weekend...

ctk22

Known Member
Jan 30, 2006
had the same engine died off while slowing down problem, later found out it was a small vacuum pipe connecting to air filter box leaking. Glued it back and patched with bitumen patch, lasted til i changed to VQ25

wah

Known Member
Nov 15, 2005
Previous half cut got this problem, it's cause by the knock sensor.

Go Jalan Kapar or Kepong and enjoy ur shopping.:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hello everyone! :itsme:

I am new in modifications and i am planning to modify my new 2010 T.vios. Can any of the Shop owners or anyone out there send me some nice design and location of your shop? I would love to pay a visit to your place to check out all the design you have, of course if possible i would prefer to see it(design) online first. Thank you very much in advance, :biggrin:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience