engine oil can mix?

tigershark1976

Known Member
Aug 24, 2006
Dun believe in those joker who told u that mixing oil could cause any problem to ur engine... i was really suprise to hear that even a mech can tell u that engine oil cannot be mixed. Think u better avoid this workshop in the future...

Most reputable engine oil manufacturer alrd announce that their oil could be mix.. for example, if you happen to have a bottle of shell engine oil, read the disclaimer behind the bottle, It stated clearly that their oil can be mix... same thing to Amsoil, another reputable engine oil manufacturer. They also stated clearly that their oil can be mix with other engine oil.

On the other hand, certain oil company even encourage the customer mix oil with diff viscosity to achieve the oil viscosity suitable for their engine (Eg, Motul), for instance, u may mix a XW50 with XW30 oil at 50-50 ratio in terms to get another oil with visosity around XW40. Of cos, you wont be 100% sure that what u get is a XW40 oil but u will know that the mixture is giving u something in between XW30 to XW50....

Btw, 1 of the API rating criteria is mixture of oil, if the oil u r mixing is API rated, u can be 100% sure that the oil mixture will do no harm to ur engine.

So, if the oil manufacturer, and quality control authority like API alrd announce that engine oil can be mixed. I really dun know who told ur mech that oil cant be mix????

The only thing u need to take note is that once mixed, u have to follow the oil change interval of the lower spec oil. eg, if mixing fully syn oil with mineral oil, u dun get a semi syn oil and change it at 7500km... u hv to change the oil by 5000 km.

Rex551

Known Member
Sep 11, 2009
Penang
helo! my engine oil is now middle half ( below Max above Min ), because i finish my current 15w50, can i add using 20w50 or any grades? thanks!
WSX29,
I drive a Perdana V6 (A), year 2001. Since buying it in 2006, I was adviced by the EON Service Centre mechanics to mix a 1litre Fully Synthethic 15W/50 and 4litre Mach5 20W/50 Engine Oil. It was Petronas Oil. Since then till today, my car is still smooth and kicking strong. Those are the two engine Oils, I've been using till today.

The other thing is, my V6 is a weekend car and most of the time used for long distance driving only. Although your scenario might not be similar to mine, I doubt there would be much to worry over either.

Hope my experience helps....

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Haha its quite easy to sum this up lah, 50% of people here say yes, 50% no. In the end its all down to your own choice! If anything goes wrong its your own car right? :idea: All the recomendations in the world isnt gonna save you haha... Just choose wisely :biggrin:

Bevan

Known Member
Mar 11, 2006
I mix it up ALL the time. In fact, never once replenish with the same =))) Same goes for many of my other stuff(s) hehe

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i know that this may have been covered before...but i'd like to know wat type of engine would best suit my toyota corolla gl 1.3 year 89.now the engine give me too much headache.can anyone show me the direction to which engine is best and the cost for the conversion.i need to know the right place to get half cut for a decent price.hopefully any sifu can help me regarding this...and if can show me the direction of a good workshop that can do the conversion.....thank u in advance...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience